Starbucks Strike

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2023, 09:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts
Default Starbucks Strike

I see more automation coming.......bodies are not needed to make coffee.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I see more automation coming.......bodies are not needed to make coffee.
We had a coffee machine at work that seemed to have as many options as a Starbucks. Not big enough to replace an entire store but not far from it either.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We had a coffee machine at work that seemed to have as many options as a Starbucks. Not big enough to replace an entire store but not far from it either.
Yepper

Saw some machines at hotels........about the size of a college refrig, about a dozen options.

Not much more technology needed to fifty options plus drive-up vs. walk-in services.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Bye starbucks
Old 11-16-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Bye starbucks
Bye, not Buy.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,517 Times in 3,107 Posts

The logic in this thread is faulty. I have a coffee maker at home that can make better coffee than Starbucks can, for a fraction of the price. But when I'm out, and want a latte, or a chocolate croissant, or one of those weird heated chicken and some kind of pesto sandwiches, I find Starbucks to be a convenient option. Especially if I'm picking up a few things at Target, since they have a Starbucks right there in the store.

I prefer the human contact to a machine, when I'm out and paying for something other than groceries (then, I prefer the self-serve). The Starbucks back home had a corner section with a couch and loveseat and coffee table where people would read a People magazine they've bought, and leave it for other customers to read. The store had a subscription to 6 copies of the daily newspaper for customers to read as well. It was absolutely a relaxing experience, even if there was a line to get your food. Taylor Swift showed up to the store one day, unannounced, and it was the big headline in the town's paper that week.

The baristas were all hard-working and well-trained, with solid customer service skills.

So while I'm absolutely NOT a fan of their coffee, I get why people are. And I get why people congregate there. The problem as I read it in the Times magazine article, is short-staffing. On one of the busiest days of the year for Starbucks (Red Cup Day), the corporation has chosen to NOT increase the number of employees on the day's shifts. So they have to deal with a significant increase in customers in drive-through, pick-up, and in-store orders, without enough staff to cover it all.

It poses a safety hazard because they just flat out don't have TIME to clean up. A single fallen ice cube left to melt on the floor could mean a broken leg for a barista and dozens of customers being told "no service" while the ambulance has to sort it all out.

They don't necessarily need many more staff per store, but even one employee per shift extra whose job is ONLY to clean the dining area and back of the bar, and see to keeping the coffee roasting and product stocked, would go a long way to making customers happy, keeping employees safe, and maintaining an efficient, professional, and pleasant atmosphere for both. But Corporate has refused to provide the hours to accommodate an extra person per shift on this, the busiest day of their year.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The logic in this thread is faulty. I have a coffee maker at home that can make better coffee than Starbucks can, for a fraction of the price. But when I'm out, and want a latte, or a chocolate croissant, or one of those weird heated chicken and some kind of pesto sandwiches, I find Starbucks to be a convenient option.
Automation can take your order.
Automation can give you any coffee type you want.
Automation can pick your sandwich and deliver it to you.

The point is............push belly button costs up, automation will take over.
May not be an elimination, jus a reduction of bodies.

Jus look at the UAW.
Jus look at Amazon (& many other distribution centers).
Old 11-16-2023, 01:33 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I have not been in a Starbucks in a dozen years. I drink a couple cups of coffee at home in the morning and that is it for me. Truthfully, I never cared for Starbucks coffee. It may be laced with extra caffeine to keep folks returning for another jolt, I do not know or care.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-16-2023, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Automation can take your order.
Automation can give you any coffee type you want.
Automation can pick your sandwich and deliver it to you.

The point is............push belly button costs up, automation will take over.
May not be an elimination, jus a reduction of bodies.

Jus look at the UAW.
Jus look at Amazon (& many other distribution centers).
Don’t forget McDonalds. California has signed a new law bumping up minimum wage to $20 per hour next year for fast food workers, and McDonalds quickly indicated that they will have to look at additional work process efficiencies with their owner operators. Certainly less people will have jobs. I would not be surprised if the old walk up window is brought back and the inside seating closed to further reduce bodies at $20 per hour.
Old 11-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

A Starbucks Keurig, k-cup box of 72 comes out to $.40 each. I’m a Barista every morning
Old 11-16-2023, 04:53 PM
Sage

Maybe it's been there a while.............went to UPS Store today for an Amazon return.

It is 100% self-serve...............no human interaction.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
A Starbucks Keurig, k-cup box of 72 comes out to $.40 each. I’m a Barista every morning
Newman’s Own Special blend k cups $44 for 96 k cups. I make 2 cups of coffee with one k cup. Costs 23 cents per cup, can’t tell the difference between the overpriced snooty west coast designer coffee. Who cares about Starbucks?
Old 11-16-2023, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Newman’s Own Special blend k cups $44 for 96 k cups. I make 2 cups of coffee with one k cup. Costs 23 cents per cup, can’t tell the difference between the overpriced snooty west coast designer coffee. Who cares about Starbucks?
Like anything else, it's personal preference, and nothing more. I enjoy Starbucks occasionally, and judging from the daily line of cars in the drive through at their 466 and 466A locations, a lot of other people like it as well.

"Starbucks' gross profit for the year ending December 31, 2022, was $22.313 billion, marking a 5.52% increase year-over-year. The company's gross profit increased by 7.93% in 2021 to $21.933 billion."

I knew I should've invented a coffee company

Last edited by photo1902; 11-16-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,517 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Like anything else, it's personal preference, and nothing more. I enjoy Starbucks occasionally, and judging from the daily line of cars in the drive through at their 466 and 466A locations, a lot of other people like it as well.

"Starbucks' gross profit for the year ending December 31, 2022, was $22.313 billion, marking a 5.52% increase year-over-year. The company's gross profit increased by 7.93% in 2021 to $21.933 billion."

I knew I should've invented a coffee company
Not to mention they offer a lot more than just coffee. They have pastries and granola, sandwiches, gourmet packaged snack bars and popcorns, a variety of non-coffee beverages, egg things, and if you get there early enough, ham and cheese croissants. Many workers in the area stop there for a cup and a croissant on their way to work.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:46 AM
Gold member

You mean Starbucks can't get people to pay more than $8 for a cup of their sugar mud? Go figure.
Closed Thread

Tags
starbucks, strike, automation, coming, bodies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.