Is there a double standard at work here?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default Is there a double standard at work here?

A question: (I don't have a dog in this fight)

Three people were arrested and charged with "vandalism" for pouring blue paint on a lane of 5th Ave. in front of Trump Tower that had previously had "Black Lives Matter" painted in yellow on the right lane of this public road. If applying blue paint to a public roadway is "vandalism", isn't applying yellow paint the same thing?????? Where are those arrests???
Old 07-18-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Three people were arrested and charged with "vandalism" for pouring blue paint on a lane of 5th Ave. in front of Trump Tower that had previously had "Black Lives Matter" painted in yellow on the right lane of this public road. If applying blue paint to a public roadway is "vandalism", isn't applying yellow paint the same thing?????? Where are those arrests???
Wasn't the yellow paint applied by or with the blessing of the city?
Old 07-18-2020, 06:05 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Depends on if you are in a trashy city or one the beautiful cities of America. In Richmond, VA, at the Lee statue, a gentleman showed up in broad daylight and started cleaning the vulgar language. Protesters called the police and he was removed. Then the protesters painted F--- the police back on the statue.

Something is really wrong in this country.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahabs View Post
This makes me think...

Most of the opinions we hear or read are from the news editors from the three major networks and they all live and work in Manhattan. Those people until this epidemic, sat knees to knees with people who had VERY similar opinions and together those people coined the very same "new phrases" we hear..........and those people didn't have a farmer among them or a realtor, or a classroom teacher or a trash collector or a landscaper etc. etc. They also seem to adhere to the notion that unless you are college educated you are not worthy of being listened to. Also the experts who are doctors that they interview, those doctors have not seen a naked patient in years and years...........
Old 07-18-2020, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

That mural was authorized by the city and painted by city workers.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
True. Would not want to be a police officer in a city where the police were so disrespected and know the city does not have their back no matter what happens.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This makes me think...

Most of the opinions we hear or read are from the news editors from the three major networks and they all live and work in Manhattan. Those people until this epidemic, sat knees to knees with people who had VERY similar opinions and together those people coined the very same "new phrases" we hear..........and those people didn't have a farmer among them or a realtor, or a classroom teacher or a trash collector or a landscaper etc. etc. They also seem to adhere to the notion that unless you are college educated you are not worthy of being listened to. Also the experts who are doctors that they interview, those doctors have not seen a naked patient in years and years...........
Very true. One would think that we all know the reason why the ratings of the news on these networks keeps going down. The networks would want to make more money and be more in tune with their potential audience.

Very strange
Old 07-18-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Just my opinion but that's where the whole problem began. A city council and mayor with absolutely no backbone started this mess and it's only getting worse by the day.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahabs View Post
Quote:
That fact is so obvious, it's hard to imagine why anyone would even try to make a comparison.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
That fact is so obvious, it's hard to imagine why anyone would even try to make a comparison.
Well, you obviously need a reason to attack someone.

Remember when current events meant discussion of taxes, or such thing. Not always an attack on someone, justified or not.

Just fight...that is the goal of some.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Well, you obviously need a reason to attack someone.

Remember when current events meant discussion of taxes, or such thing. Not always an attack on someone, justified or not.

Just fight...that is the goal of some.
Didn't sound adversarial to me. We don't know why sometimes people are taking people to task for taking people to task.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
True. Would not want to be a police officer in a city where the police were so disrespected and know the city does not have their back no matter what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy451 View Post
Just my opinion but that's where the whole problem began. A city council and mayor with absolutely no backbone started this mess and it's only getting worse by the day.
I was not defending the mural itself nor stating any opinion about the painting of the mural. I was responding to a poster who wondered why the initial painters weren't arrested, when a Google search points out that it was authorized by the city. Therefore, no reason to arrest the city workers who painted the slogan.

The people of NYC can vote.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
And there is a nice defining difference between the two sides in this issue. One side wants the government to support the police "no matter what happens" The other side wants the government to support the citizens when the police are wrong.

I am sad that some good police feel "disrespected" but remind them that respect is earned and once lost can be regained by good acts. Point out the bad ones in your ranks.

Exactly the same dynamic has happened within the Catholic church. Very very few of its clergy were pedophiles. But all were tainted with that suspicion because too often their peers and their leaders covered up what they knew or suspected. If the church had promptly acted to remove the criminals the fall out would have been so much less. Instead the institution of the Church protected itself, like the police unions do.

One big difference is that the Church is a private organization which does not owe any allegiance or obligation to the citizens. Police are sworn to a whole different set of obligations. The government needs to support, fund, and recruit good men and women into police careers. It also needs to have strong policies to root out bad cops and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:

The message in front of Trump Tower was painted by people who applied to the city with a permit to do so, and that permit was granted. It was intended to be temporary, it was in the category of artwork, such as a mural.

The vandals were just vandals who wanted to ruin something someone else did.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Painting it in front of Trump Tower?.............c'mon! uncalled for of DeBlasio if you ask me, pandering at a childish level. Oh the things I would love to say about that "Mayor"

Steve

Tags
paint, applying, public, yellow, blue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.