TIPPING when placing an order>>>

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I totally agree. This is why I usually way over tip in Waffle House and undertip in upscale restaurants. The establishment and amenities are already priced into the meal.

So, if you just consider SERVICE the Waffle House waitress takes your order, fills your coffee cup 2 or 3 times, brings your meal, calls you sweetie, and brings the bill. Say you ordered eggs and bacon. With coffee less than 10 bucks. 20% tip?- $2.00.

A steak at Chop House and 2 glasses of wine. About the same service (again ignore the atmosphere - you pay for that in the meal) and the bill is around 50 bucks. 20% tip? - $10.

Stupid custom. I wish the servers were just paid a decent wage and there was no tipping like in many European countries.
Tipping is spreading over there.

If servers were smart they would train at a place like Waffle House and than seek to move up to a higher end place where they can make more money.

But than again a waffle house table probably turns over 4-5x as often as a Chop House so perhaps their is not that big an income disparity.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I totally agree. This is why I usually way over tip in Waffle House and undertip in upscale restaurants. The establishment and amenities are already priced into the meal.

So, if you just consider SERVICE the Waffle House waitress takes your order, fills your coffee cup 2 or 3 times, brings your meal, calls you sweetie, and brings the bill. Say you ordered eggs and bacon. With coffee less than 10 bucks. 20% tip?- $2.00.

A steak at Chop House and 2 glasses of wine. About the same service (again ignore the atmosphere - you pay for that in the meal) and the bill is around 50 bucks. 20% tip? - $10.

Stupid custom. I wish the servers were just paid a decent wage and there was no tipping like in many European countries.
I'm the same way. They lower the cost, the higher the tip percentage...

During Covid, I've been tipping like Ray Liotta in the night club scene in "Goodfellas"...

They risked their health to be there for us, well before a vaccine was available...

Goodfellas Night Club Scene - Copacabana - Henry Hill - YouTube

-Tom Petty
Old 12-28-2021, 05:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

What's next: tip the doctor for giving you a correct diagnosis?[/QUOTE]

That is an idea next time I am at the Proctologist I’ll tell him his tip depends on how gentle he is
Old 12-28-2021, 06:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Read this article on Yahoo just now.

Customers hate tipping before they're served – and asking makes them less likely to return

Imagine you’re in line at a coffee shop. You order your usual cappuccino and swipe your credit card to pay. Then the cashier swivels a little screen that prompts you for a tip – before the espresso shot is pulled or a drop of milk steamed.

Do you tip more, perhaps hoping that it will lead to a better drink? Or less or none at all, peeved at being asked to reward service that hasn’t happened yet? Do you feel pressured into tipping the suggested amounts, which can equate to more than half the price of the drink?

Unsure how many places in The Villages may do this. But I absolutely recall this at Panera in Lake Sumter a couple years ago. They seemed to have a new method, if paying by credit card - the order-taker would swing the screen around towards you to press OK after pressing the TIP amount. Of course you COULD press 0, and OK. But in the 3 cases we ordered she would hover right over the screen to watch your entry. Intimidating. We stopped going to Panera about 2 years ago for other reasons, but this was a reason too.

Now we are good tippers - unless the service was NOT good, always tip 20% or more. But when (kinda) pressed to tip - at a quick service place, uh, that's a bit over the top. The first time this happened at Panera and she 'hovered' I think I pressed 15%, the next couple times, 0.

It's one thing to have a tip jar at Quick service places, but...

Not sure if Panera or others still do this in TV....

Customers hate tipping before they're served – and asking makes them less likely to return
I think they should ask for a raise, it’s makes about as much sense. If the help think they need a tip to offset their weekly pay, they definitely aren’t getting paid enough. Tips are for good service, not for pouring them a cup of cappuccino. You’re right find somewhere else to get your morning Joe!
Old 12-28-2021, 07:19 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default so what does TIPS stand for?

Quote:

Imagine you’re in line at a coffee shop. You order your usual cappuccino and swipe your credit card to pay. Then the cashier swivels a little screen that prompts you for a tip – before the espresso shot is pulled or a drop of milk steamed.

Do you tip more, perhaps hoping that it will lead to a better drink? Or less or none at all, peeved at being asked to reward service that hasn’t happened yet? Do you feel pressured into tipping the suggested amounts, which can equate to more than half the price of the drink?

Unsure how many places in The Villages may do this. But I absolutely recall this at Panera in Lake Sumter a couple years ago. They seemed to have a new method, if paying by credit card - the order-taker would swing the screen around towards you to press OK after pressing the TIP amount. Of course you COULD press 0, and OK. But in the 3 cases we ordered she would hover right over the screen to watch your entry. Intimidating. We stopped going to Panera about 2 years ago for other reasons, but this was a reason too.

Now we are good tippers - unless the service was NOT good, always tip 20% or more. But when (kinda) pressed to tip - at a quick service place, uh, that's a bit over the top. The first time this happened at Panera and she 'hovered' I think I pressed 15%, the next couple times, 0.

To Insure Prompt Service (TIPS) and that's exactly what I tip fort
Old 12-28-2021, 07:23 AM

Never quite got into tipping non waiters. People behind the counter are order takers and provide no customer service other than taking your money. Do you tip at McDonald's, Duncan Donuts, or Chick-fil-A? No difference.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:

With us doing so many curbside, this has become an issue. I now hit zero and when I get my order I tip cash I started this over a year ago because I tipped 18% on a to go order and the order was a hot mess…so now I tip according to my service, the correct order, and the time it took to get it. No I do not tip at fast food, except the subway on 441 because the young ladies there are fast and super nice
Old 12-28-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Tip jars are getting out of hand.
I have one on the side of my golf cart.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Question: Let's say it's a dinner out. Do you base your tip on the pre-tax total or after tax? Basing a tip of the total including tax can make a big difference, either for you or the server.

Rant: Also, did you ever think about how illogical the tipping scheme is? It's based on the cost of the meal. Not on how much effort went into serving it. Suppose I get the filet mignon and tip 20% on a $40 dinner. The guy in the booth behind me gets meatloaf and tips 20% on a $15 meal. My waiter gets $8 tip. The meatloaf server gets $3.00. Same amount of service. Sure, I understand tips are usually pooled and shared, but not always. What's more, the hardest working staffers, the cooks, may not get any of the tip money.

Rant 2: Where will this stop? Tip jars are showing up everywhere. My local Winn-Dixie had tip jars at the check-outs. They weren't there when the minimum wage was lower. What's next: tip the doctor for giving you a correct diagnosis?
I tip on amount before tax and the suggested tip is based on before tax.
I agree on the dollar amount too. I have always felt that way especially on drinks. You order a house highball for $4.00 and I order a nice glass of wine for $10 should I really have to tip more when your drink took more effort to make?
The dollar about is such a good point. I’m drinking water and your drinking beer we both have 5 glasses mine cost zero and yours cost $20, so your bill is much higher then mine even though we both had the server come to the table same amount of times.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:49 AM

I was told a long time ago that tipping, when it first started, was done before the meal. (T)o, (I)nsure, (P)romptness
Old 12-28-2021, 07:50 AM

I have been a waitress for over 40 years… I made an art out of serving people and was always (almost) tipped well. This nonsense of tipping people who pour you a coffee or take your order is just that…pure nonsense
Old 12-28-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxi6565 View Post
I have been a waitress for over 40 years… I made an art out of serving people and was always (almost) tipped well. This nonsense of tipping people who pour you a coffee or take your order is just that…pure nonsense
I have a question for you, if the total bill includes an $80 bottle of wine, should I include a 20% tip on the wine
Old 12-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Default tipping

Quote:

although tips stands for "to insure prompt service", I never tip unless we're being served while seated at a table and do so after our meal based on the service provided - there have been exceptions but that's the general rule I follow - I don't like those systems that ask otherwise and we may not return there or just do what we think is best under the circumstances following our "general rule"
Old 12-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Tipping should be determined by the quality of the server, I agree. But in this pandemic world where finding servers is difficult, the lines have blurred. Having had daughters that waited tables, I tend to understand what they go through and tip well, at least 20%. Just an FYI, when I use my Starbucks card or app, the option to tip is available for you long after being served.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I traveled and visited Panera often. I would order at the counter and they would bring to table. When finished I was expected to take the dishes to the dirty dish section. Some companies definition of service are limited and I never left large tips even on business expense account. Better suggestion is to put the tip in prices as other countries do.
Closed Thread

Tags
tip, service, panera, screen, tipping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.