UAW may strike!

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2023, 08:17 AM

Ford CEO Jim Farley made $21 million in 2022. Sounds fair!!!
Old 09-15-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsachs View Post
Just a few things unions haven given all of us, even if you weren't in a union. Non union employees usually got the same thing without paying dues or fighting for those things. The weekend, end of child labor, 40 hour work week, 8 hour day, unemployment benefits, workers comp laws, employer based health insurance, family and medical leave act, fair wages and income equality, safer work places, and pensions are just some of the things unions have done for all of us. Which two or three would you like to give up?
For those things listed that the union actually gave us or had a major influence in, I don't want to give up any and I am appreciative of all they they did. But, there are too many wrongs that they have done to list and ask you which ones you support.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAM+6 View Post
Ford CEO Jim Farley made $21 million in 2022. Sounds fair!!!
Who actually believes that life is or is supposed to be fair?
What does fair actually mean in this case?
Old 09-15-2023, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
“skell (plural skells) (slang, US, New York) a homeless person, especially one who sleeps in the New York subway.” Do you have any reason to believe the union members who work for car companies are homeless? Actually, they own homes and buy cars and pay a lot more in taxes than people who work for minimum wage. Do you have any reason to think that they are stupider than non-union workers who earn less and have worse benefits? Do you really think that union members should have to work for minimum wage? Thousands of Villagers live here because their union wages and pensions and other benefits made that possible. They aren’t wealthy, but they are here, and they are honest Americans who used to work hard.

I was a member of the union at the university where I taught for 34 years. My union dues were 1% of salary, my salary was a little higher than some other schools in the area, but we fought for fair salaries for adjunct professors who were being paid poorly, and we got them. It’s because of my union that my school and I set aside retirement funds for me, and that is why I can afford to live in The Villages today.

I don’t like to see unions over-reaching, and many have, and some have been dishonest, but study histories of the American labor movement and see how unions have worked to get union members fair pay instead of minimum pay.
Reading your response, it seems unless you're a CEO in this country you are stupid. Also, that people should not have the right to demand what they believe they are worth. I get the impression instead of people trying to increase their wealth for themselves and their families you believe other than the boss everyone should be living in a cardboard box.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Reading your response, it seems unless you're a CEO in this country you are stupid. Also, that people should not have the right to demand what they believe they are worth. I get the impression instead of people trying to increase their wealth for themselves and their families you believe other than the boss everyone should be living in a cardboard box.
Wow. You missed the intent of that post by 100%. The post was acknowledging some excesses while touting the benefits of unions. And even if your understanding of the overall perspective was correct, where does someone come up with them saying "everyone but the CEO is stupid" or "every one but the boss should be living in a card board box." My only guess is that you replied to the wrong post (I have had that happen where I thought I clicked reply on one and it brought up a different post than intended.)

Last edited by Cybersprings; 09-15-2023 at 08:45 AM. Reason: fixed a sentence for clarity
Old 09-15-2023, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

There were reasons unions came to be and still exist. If you want to end unions, then there should be a move to profit sharing.
I was a negotiator in an industry where it is well known for its profits and wealth. Yet when I sat across the table with the company's negotiators, they cried poverty. It was almost laughable. I was friendly with the people I was in the room with, because I knew they were hired to do one job, to bring in the contract as low as they could. It didn't matter if the employees were making a living wage or not or if they were working in safe conditions or not. I don't totally understand all the issues the UAW are having, but I do know when the auto industry was in trouble not only did the government step in with taxpayer's back loans, but the union made a lot of concessions.
As the companies start to recover management increased their benefits and held the union to its concessions. There is something wrong with this. If the unions have to stay where they are than management should do the same and the investors should be the ones reaping the profits.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:01 AM

So I grew up in a union house. When unions used to take care of their employees. Now the unions just seem to be bullies and push their weight around demanding monthly payments from their members regardless of how they feel.
And some of these people where do you get your numbers from? I don’t know but I’ve heard it multiple times they wanted 46% pay increase over four years. And they want to work 32 hours a week and get paid for 40 hours a week. who gets paid for things they don’t do?
Old 09-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The only thing new about this UAW strike is that it against the Big 3 at one time.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
“skell (plural skells) (slang, US, New York) a homeless person, especially one who sleeps in the New York subway.” Do you have any reason to believe the union members who work for car companies are homeless? Actually, they own homes and buy cars and pay a lot more in taxes than people who work for minimum wage. Do you have any reason to think that they are stupider than non-union workers who earn less and have worse benefits? Do you really think that union members should have to work for minimum wage? Thousands of Villagers live here because their union wages and pensions and other benefits made that possible. They aren’t wealthy, but they are here, and they are honest Americans who used to work hard.

I was a member of the union at the university where I taught for 34 years. My union dues were 1% of salary, my salary was a little higher than some other schools in the area, but we fought for fair salaries for adjunct professors who were being paid poorly, and we got them. It’s because of my union that my school and I set aside retirement funds for me, and that is why I can afford to live in The Villages today.

I don’t like to see unions over-reaching, and many have, and some have been dishonest, but study histories of the American labor movement and see how unions have worked to get union members fair pay instead of minimum pay.
I totally apologize, the minute I read stupid in your post I went ballistic. Now that I reread you posting I totally agree with you.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,226 Times in 5,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
So I grew up in a union house. When unions used to take care of their employees. Now the unions just seem to be bullies and push their weight around demanding monthly payments from their members regardless of how they feel.
And some of these people where do you get your numbers from? I don’t know but I’ve heard it multiple times they wanted 46% pay increase over four years. And they want to work 32 hours a week and get paid for 40 hours a week. who gets paid for things they don’t do?
Unions did a great job improving working conditions. When they prevented companies from either firing people for cause or require people to actually work and became unreasonable asking for higher wages whether or not the company could afford it they lost a lot of their benefit.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,990 Times in 765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsocat View Post
Public opinion of unions might be better if they didn't use union dues to contribute to political parties and simply invested in those who pay them with a percentage of their wages...
As a manager non-Union I was required to donate a percentage of my wages to a PAC, refusing was a sentence of death for promotions.
The monetary amount contributed was substantially more than the Union dues.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
I'm sorry you have that view of unions. I'm not sure what unions you're talking about, but when I left working in the field and took over as a rep, I made much less than before and was on the clock 24/7 and was on a plane covering my district twice a month. Like I said in an earlier posting the only reasons union exist is because there is a need for them. When it comes to negotiation most members and employer have outlandish expectations and that what is usually the first thing that hits the table. The big goal is that there will be some meeting of the minds to avoid a strike.
In this case that is not what happened and both sides are at fault.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

The subject of PAC money has been raised. Our union supported and anyone that support our cause, it didn't matter what side of the isle they were on, and employers do the same. It's the cost of doing business, if I had my why neither side should be subjected to this.
But as we all know as long as there are politicians involved, they will always be someone with their hand out for cash in exchange for a favor.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:18 AM

They need to realise that they will be working themselves right out of a good paying job.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:25 AM
Default Greed

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
So you will be paying 30-40% more for a Chevy, ford, or ram, which are already overpriced for the quality you get. Every job in these plants are anlready automated so the worker doesn’t have to lift anything heavy, robots help carry, or actually do the more demanding physical work. I hope all of these car manufacturers go broke after they. Implement this and all the workers go from making good money to $0. There are much better made cars here in the US that won’t be affected by this and I hope they all thrive.
Exactly, They better realise that they will be working themselves right out of a job.
Closed Thread

Tags
union, replace, mindless, non-educated, dolts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.