Unemployment bonus

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 06:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Unemployment bonus

There is talk of extending the $600. payment over the normal unemployment. I know this is hard times for workers, but in our area businesses can't find workers. They aren't willing to work while the govern pays them better not to work.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
There is talk of extending the $600. payment over the normal unemployment. I know this is hard times for workers, but in our area businesses can't find workers. They aren't willing to work while the govern pays them better not to work.

yes there are certainly some that are taking advantage of this...hopefully they are the exception

good help is hard to find...and TV has outgrown the local labor pool...think about it people now come from Ocala and beyond for minimum wage jobs

the larger question however is the sky rocketing national debt that congress is just unwilling to do anything about....they just spend, spend, spend and kick the can down the road

at some point the the piper has to be paid
Old 07-20-2020, 06:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Agree in most cases. I am sure we all know people who are having hard times and this amount certainly helps. Have friends who say the "cleaned up" with the monies and are enjoying the time off. It is my understanding, though, that if employees don't go back to work when required, they lose the bonus funds, who knows. Meanwhile, all the front line workers (hospital, emergency, grocery etc) who have endured through these times get no extra funds and hours cut. Either use your PTO or go without pay......and remember smile under your mask and pray you don't catch the virus, get to work now.........gurrrr.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I knew this was a stupid idea when it first started. People are not going to work when the Government pays them more money to not work.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

With all broad-brush programs, there will be minority situations which are head scratchers.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Not to mention the money sent to dead people.

If only they would actually run a surplus when times are good.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

There are businesses all over the country including Florida that are shut down, and other companies who have closed departments because they don't want their employees inside climate-controlled buildings infecting each other (look up "sick building syndrome - it's a thing, and has been for years). These employees are not being paid by their companies. They are laid off, until the companies either open up again, or close down for good - making those lay-offs now "terminated" former employees.

Millions of people not getting paid but still out of work, as a direct result of the pandemic. Combine that with all the other people who lose their jobs for the usual reasons when there isn't any pandemic, who now have fewer jobs they can even apply for because of all those company shut-downs.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The concept of being paid for being unemployed has gone from a once upon a time bridge of modest payment while one seeks another job.

Today's version is becoming a continuing source of income with bonus add ons that make being unemployed more beneficial than working. It has become an incentive to not return to work.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to be paying ANYBODY more than their job did......... to stay home.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:24 AM

I have advocated from before the virus that we should do away with unemployment, and all forms of "welfare" and SNAP, etc.

In my not so humble opinion, we should be working on Universal Basic Income. It is being tried in many places around the world and a few here in the States.

At first, the concept of "giving" money to everyone whether they need it or not seems like an inherently bad idea. But, when you look into the details, it makes a lot of sense. (Assuming you don't believe in letting unemployed die of starvation).

The idea is that "welfare" (any form of payment requiring qualifications) at a national level is doomed to have a significant about of fraud and waste and will encourage people to not go back to work - as has been mentioned in this thread. And the cost of administering a national "safety net" is enormous.

Instead, simply sending a check (or credit a debit card account is better) has a very low cost. And it is much easier to audit. There is very little motivation for individuals to "game the system" since everyone (whether they need it or not) is going to receive the same amount every month.

So far, where this has been tried it is proving to be much less expensive than our current massive bureaucracy.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:34 AM

The problem isn’t the federal help the problem is it’s just to dam much money. Maybe cut it down to $300 which still helps but also gives people the incentive to go back to work. This isn’t rocket science.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

When was last time you didn't see a help wanted sign
This income benefit is creating a hardship on employers
Should be when you receive a notice to return back to work your benefits should be discontinued in a week
Not return when they run out at your convenience
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
The problem isn’t the federal help the problem is it’s just to dam much money. Maybe cut it down to $300 which still helps but also gives people the incentive to go back to work. This isn’t rocket science.
And people getting the $600 get their state unemployment. One friend is bringing in $1400 a week. I can only dream of that in about a months pay sitting in the covid petri dish.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Should be when you receive a notice to return back to work your benefits should be discontinued in a week
That would work for me.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Okay, and what about people that can no longer return to work, or in their area there is no work, or they got COVID-19 and now have respiratory problems and can't work, or, ...

Your idea is good and reasonable, but you stop short of how to handle all the exceptions.

The cost of administering all that verification and qualifications and the bad press from even a few exceptions make it a very hard policy to implement - unless you are willing to just let Americans die because some bureaucrat didn't approve them.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

What bothers me is the millions taken in the payroll protection plan by businesses in The Villages. These restaurants took this money and DID NOT pay their employees. I hope the gov catches them when they notice all the employees who were taking unemployment!

"The purpose of the taxpayer-funded PPP is to help small businesses avoid layoffs or salary reductions, hence loan forgiveness is therefore contingent on these conditions being met."

Any why did T&D need to take money? They were working the whole time!
Closed Thread

Tags
unemployment, work, workers, area, pays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.