The Villages and BLm

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts
Default The Villages and BLm

We all see on the media the awful situation Afro-Americans are dealing with. Systematic racism, abuse by the police, and decades long poverty.

We here in the Villages have been blessed with a wonderful lifestyle. Due in part by our White Privelage. Whether we admit it or not, white privelage is real and so is our unconscious racism.

Perhaps its time, we here inTV, do something for our African American neighbors...especially in the so poor parts of Wildwood.

Just some suggestions...

Donate you next stimulus check to the Wildwood Food Pantry.
Volunteer at the food pantry.
Take some of your income and go to the black churches and donate it.
Drive into Wildwood and engage our neighbors in constructive, healing conversation.

We have all been blessed here...we need to do more for our brothers.

Does anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
We all see on the media the awful situation Afro-Americans are dealing with. Systematic racism, abuse by the police, and decades long poverty.

We here in the Villages have been blessed with a wonderful lifestyle. Due in part by our White Privelage. Whether we admit it or not, white privelage is real and so is our unconscious racism.

Perhaps its time, we here inTV, do something for our African American neighbors...especially in the so poor parts of Wildwood.

Just some suggestions...

Donate you next stimulus check to the Wildwood Food Pantry.
Volunteer at the food pantry.
Take some of your income and go to the black churches and donate it.
Drive into Wildwood and engage our neighbors in constructive, healing conversation.

We have all been blessed here...we need to do more for our brothers.

Does anyone else have some suggestions?
I got a really strange feeling when I read this post. Not only is it very heartwarming, but reminded me of a past TOTV poster (Buggy or Buggy1) who has passed, but you mention some of his favorite activities. He served in the Food pantry for years, and while he and I did not share the same complete philosophy on government, we became "friends" based on this thought process.

God Bless...I am sure Richard read this post
Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Gold member

The Wildwood Food Pantry is always in need for volunteers or donations.

May I suggest that if you buy BOGOs at Publix...if you cant use both items...save your unused bogos and bring them to the pantry.

Every bit helps the poor people of Wildwood.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

We Villagers have always been generous to the local charities and schools, etc. Not only individually but many of the clubs give regular donations and regularly volunteer their time. We didn't wait for current events to motivate us, this is a very giving community.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:47 PM
Gold member

I agree...so many here are generous but we need to do more. Everyone here on TV should be woke by now

We need to engage our black and brown neighbors. Can you imagine those african-americans in Wildwoood watxhinh the Villages expand with beautiful homes owned by those driving expensive cars? How would feel?

Time for those progressives amongst us, and there are many, to go over the tracks of 301 and Engage our fellow Americans
Old 07-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I agree...so many here are generous but we need to do more. Everyone here on TV should be woke by now

We need to engage our black and brown neighbors. Can you imagine those african-americans in Wildwoood watxhinh the Villages expand with beautiful homes owned by those driving expensive cars? How would feel?

Time for those progressives amongst us, and there are many, to go over the tracks of 301 and Engage our fellow Americans
Since we all worked to get what we have perhaps it would give some an incentive to get an education and emulate us.

I made a contribution to a Wildwood Elementary school last week and will continue to support it but no idea why some people should feel guilty for living in the American dream..
Old 07-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

There's lots of ways that we can reach out and help those in the area around us that may be in need...every community is in need it's not limited to Wildwood

The Salvation Army in Bushnell and Leesburg are our favorite charities. A good portion of our stimulus check went to those in need. We donate to both SA locations monthly....the SA takes the least amount off the top of donations....they live their motto "doing the most good". Money is best for them as they buy the food in bulk...we use a credit card and cover the cost of the 'merchant fee' on the card

When hurricane season approaches we stock up on non-perishable foods that we personally like...when the season is over we drop off all the provisions that we had stockpiled at a local food pantry. Not only does that help others, it frees up the space where we had stored these items.

clothing that we buy online that just isn't the color or size that we expected or wanted no longer gets exchanged...it goes to a local thrift shop

We know that we're blessed.

But I also take exception to the OP's reference to 'white privilege'

The only 'white privilege' I had was a couple of parents that taught me the difference between right and wrong, punished me when I did wrong...that worked their butts off to provide for their kids...the only vacations we went on were with borrowed camping equipment until they had enough S&H Green Stamps to buy their own camping gear. Regardless of which campground we were staying at on the weekend or for the week on Sunday mornings we'd all come out of the tent in 'our Sunday Best' and off to church we'd go as a family.

When there was 'snow day' growing up, we didn't go sledding, we shoveled as many neighbors out that we could to make some spending money. When the kid that had the paper route went on vacation we took over for him. In high school I worked as a part time janitor in the schools...school vacations I stripped the floors and waxed them while my buddies played. I worked 40 hours a week while going to college and double that when on semester break to help earn my keep and help pay my way through school...no trips to Cancun or Ft Lauderdale. I went to grad school at night and we paid off my wife's student loans.

If having parents that cared about me, instilled sound values in me to live life by and worked hard to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table represents 'white privilege', then yeah, I guess I did grow up having 'white privilege'.

It's funny, at the time I just didn't recognize it as being privileged.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
There's lots of ways that we can reach out and help those in the area around us that may be in need...every community is in need it's not limited to Wildwood

The Salvation Army in Bushnell and Leesburg are our favorite charities. A good portion of our stimulus check went to those in need. We donate to both SA locations monthly....the SA takes the least amount off the top of donations....they live their motto "doing the most good". Money is best for them as they buy the food in bulk...we use a credit card and cover the cost of the 'merchant fee' on the card

When hurricane season approaches we stock up on non-perishable foods that we personally like...when the season is over we drop off all the provisions that we had stockpiled at a local food pantry. Not only does that help others, it frees up the space where we had stored these items.

clothing that we buy online that just isn't the color or size that we expected or wanted no longer gets exchanged...it goes to a local thrift shop

We know that we're blessed.

But I also take exception to the OP's reference to 'white privilege'

The only 'white privilege' I had was a couple of parents that taught me the difference between right and wrong, punished me when I did wrong...that worked their butts off to provide for their kids...the only vacations we went on were with borrowed camping equipment until they had enough S&H Green Stamps to buy their own camping gear. Regardless of which campground we were staying at on the weekend or for the week on Sunday mornings we'd all come out of the tent in 'our Sunday Best' and off to church we'd go as a family.

When there was 'snow day' growing up, we didn't go sledding, we shoveled as many neighbors out that we could to make some spending money. When the kid that had the paper route went on vacation we took over for him. In high school I worked as a part time janitor in the schools...school vacations I stripped the floors and waxed them while my buddies played. I worked 40 hours a week while going to college and double that when on semester break to help earn my keep and help pay my way through school...no trips to Cancun or Ft Lauderdale. I went to grad school at night and we paid off my wife's student loans.

If having parents that cared about me, instilled sound values in me to live life by and worked hard to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table represents 'white privilege', then yeah, I guess I did grow up having 'white privilege'.

It's funny, at the time I just didn't recognize it as being privileged.
You sound like we had same childhood. Liked your post but you struck a nerve

Shoveled snow when I could duringthe winter and in the summer went to a free day camp as a little kid and remember one or two vacations in my younger years that were pretty inexpensive..

My dad was a taxi driver working over 70 hours a week to support us.

Parents could not afford to send us to college so we all went to the City University of NY which was free back than.

We had almost nothing in the bank when we got married and we worked for what we had now.

Went to grad school at night while working full time during the day.

I do not understand why people keep telling us we were privileged growing up.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:37 PM

My family does what it can all of the time, volunteer during the holidays to make and deliver meals to all races that need a hand. I was a volunteer firefighter and EMT in our community and helped all regardless of race or creed. Worked my ass off farming to make money to have car while attending high school and played in all of the sports all year. Paid my way through college, have 2 boys in the Navy because they didn't have what it took coming out of high school to go to college. After 10 years in the Navy one is getting out to get his degree in electrical engineering, the other is in OCS. White privilege is a myth started by those who lack the intelligence and convection to get ahead. Not everybody is college material and not all are rocket scientists. We will all never be equal no matter how the government will try to invoke laws "leveling" the playing field. I met hundreds of successful blacks who came out on top, I also know a large number of whites that failed at achieving anything. Life ain't fair, the soon a person understands that the smarter they will be!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

Shoveled snow when I could duringthe winter and in the summer went to a free day camp as a little kid and remember one or two vacations in my younger years that were pretty inexpensive..

Parents could not afford to send us to college so we all went to the City University of NY which was free back than.

We had almost nothing in the bank when we got married and we worked for what we had now.

I agree. This thread struck a nerve with me also. I do feel that I had an advantage being white. But, that advantage does not fully account for the discrepancies between my success and those that do not take advantage of the opportunities every citizen has in this country. Far from it.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I can relate to posts#7 and #8. My parents both worked. My father sold furniture at the downtown Montgomery Ward in Albuquerque and for weeks prior to Christmas worked from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m six days a week. We had no car until I was maybe ten when we started having one used car so we took the bus. Every dime, no, every penny counted. We had one bathroom and two bedrooms for the four of us in a 650 square foot house. I started working part time at a grocery store when I was 14 and always had a job thereafter. I paid my own college tuition at the local state university and walked to classes since we lived near enough. Actually, as I look back I feel privileged to have had solid family values and a moral compass instilled in me along with a work ethic. I accepted deferred gratification to obtain a decent education and work, save and invest my way to where I am today. Only in America could that have happened!

No Project Headstart, Affirmative Action or other minority privilege was ever available to me as I am white, not black.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

Strikes a nerve with me too, I can relate. Back in the day I remember asking my folks if I could borrow some money. They told me they would think about it, which they did for a weekend. When the requested loan came up, they said what you can do to get the money is get a second job.......and I did (they didn't loan me the money) for years. They also said don't quit a job until you get another job and make sure you have health insurance. I am still working and don't make a lot but I give back to my community what I can and I am happy to say we are debt free. We worked hard for what we have and I thank my folks now, whoever they are, for instilling a good work ethic, kindness and to be responsible for myself and don't expect anything from anyone. Life is good!
Old 07-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Great idea, OP! As a teacher though, I learned that education goes a long way towards achieving equality. I like to look at factors that help disadvantaged people to become competitive in the first place.
Having food, and good shelter so a child can study, are starters. A job for mom or dad to bring home income to be able to provide that food and shelter. Then models, teach our children about our models including African Americans, so they can visualize themselves as truly successful in our society.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 PM
Sage

We are only here a few months and one thing I love about this place is how hard we have all worked to have what we can now enjoy.

I do not understand people saying we have this because we are white.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

the black folks who live
here and else where in the world that have what we have and many have more because they are....?....
Closed Thread

Tags
wildwood, suggestions, donate, villages, food

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.