VA is providing third jabs for vets

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2021, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Is the Jab the same as a vaccine?
If that is NOT known by now, then the world is in BIG trouble.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:25 AM

Because I am a veteran, I went to the VA clinic in The Villages to see about my benefits. I filled out an application, it was reviewed on the spot, and then I was not eligible for benefits because I made too much money.

Is VA medical care a benefit for service to one's country or is it just another welfare program?
Old 08-31-2021, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
Misinformed pharmacist ?

The September 20 date has not yet been approved……

Call the VA in Gainesville for an appointment ?? Why would I want to do that when I can get the booster shot here in The Villages for free ???

I just got my booster 2 weeks ago at Walgreens….. and yes, I am a Vet …..and NO appointment was necessary …
I think it is absolutely wonderful that you know when and where to get what you need.

My post stated clearly, I was forwarding information to vets that may not be receiving regular updates from the VA, and it was my intention to let said vets KNOW what the VA is doing. If you don't need that information, that is great, maybe some would.

Thank you for your service.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Because I am a veteran, I went to the VA clinic in The Villages to see about my benefits. I filled out an application, it was reviewed on the spot, and then I was not eligible for benefits because I made too much money.

Is VA medical care a benefit for service to one's country or is it just another welfare program?
I am sorry that you did not qualify. The VA healthcare is available for ALL retiree's (as far as I know) If you did not retire, but did serve then there are levels of care available based on your income level.

I personally agree with this structure, since the government has a long history of promising solders things and then short changing them when they come home. The VA struggles to meet its job of helping ALL vets because the government won't fund it.

For most of my life I made too much to qualify also, and I was very happy about that. It meant the money they would have had to spend on me could be used to help others not as fortunate as me. Then in 2008 (the recession) my career as an independent consultant ended, and at 58 I was unable to find work. I became homeless for a period before starting over again. During that time I had some medical issues and was advised to check with the VA. I applied and was accepted into the lowest bracket of care.

It was a life saving event, that literally saved my life and changed it allowing me to recover, start a new career and end up retired here.

All because the VA was able to afford to provide me, a veteran, care I could not have gotten another way.

I am sorry you did not qualify, personally I am fully in favor of universal healthcare for all Americans based on the VA model.

But, at the same time, I am very happy for you, that you make enough that you don't qualify - many Veterans are not as well off as you are and need the VA.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I think it is absolutely wonderful that you know when and where to get what you need.

My post stated clearly, I was forwarding information to vets that may not be receiving regular updates from the VA, and it was my intention to let said vets KNOW what the VA is doing. If you don't need that information, that is great, maybe some would.

Thank you for your service.
And my intent was to let the vets and anyone else for that matter know that the Covid shots , including the 3rd “booster” shot, is available locally at multiple locations FREE OF CHARGE and without having to jump through any hoops……

Thanks for your service as well ….
Old 08-31-2021, 09:21 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am concerned about the 8 month booster window. I’d like to see it reduced to 4 max 5 months. The Pfizer vaccine seems to rapidly reduce effectiveness after that time from data in Israel Times today, although still good - not great - at reducing deaths. Why take a chance and wait for 8 months?
Spacing vaccinations too soon might reduce the desired immune response. We will follow what the vaccine maker recommends.
————————-
What is meant by "minimum intervals" between vaccine doses?
Vaccination schedules are generally determined by clinical trials, usually prior to licensure of the vaccine. The spacing of doses in the clinical trial usually becomes the recommended schedule. A "minimum interval" is shorter than the recommended interval between doses, and is the shortest time between two doses of a vaccine series in which an adequate response to the second dose can be expected. The concern is that a dose given too soon after the previous dose may reduce the response to that dose. The minimum spacing between doses is generally included in the ACIP recommendation for that vaccine which can be found at ACIP Vaccine Recommendations | CDC. In addition, an extensive listing of recommended and minimum intervals and ages for vaccination can be found in the ACIP General Best Practices Guidelines for Immunization, available at ACIP Timing and Spacing Guidelines for Immunization | CDC, Table 3-1.
Closed Thread

Tags
dose, covid-19, vaccine, veterans, appointment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.