To Vaccinate or not to vaccinate

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2021, 06:13 AM
Default Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you are healthy the chances of you dying from Covid-19 are lower with the highest being those over 65. If you are over 75, healthy or not your chances of dying from it are one in ten.

I know six people personally who have had Covid. Three are fully recovered, two after being hospitalized, one in intensive care.

The other three have died from Covid 19. Two were over 75 and one was 69 and appeared healthy. I saw him riding his bike a lot.
You are equating age with health. There are many folks who, at the age of, for example, 75, have health which exceeds that of someone who is 55. No, I do not believe any statics which you may reply with, because they are not based on complete facts.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

I have a relative who is a microbiologist and researcher who has a patent pending for a vaccine, so he is very familiar with the testing procedures and requirements for FDA approval. He and his wife have been vaccinated against Covid, and they trust the science that went into that vaccine development. But this is what we know - the mRNA vaccines like the Covid vaccine have been studied for a long time before this pandemic for treatment of other issues like HIV, Zika and flu.And the makeup of the vaccine allows scientists to design the mRNA in a way so it does not stay in the cell longer than needed to generate immunity. While concern about long term effects is legitimate, people need to be aware of the misinformation out there. The anti-vaccine industry is very organized and is trying to move people to extreme positions about vaccines using conspiracy theories and false narratives. In some cases these groups simply do not believe in science, and in other cases, they hope to profit by selling other products to "protect" against Covid. In any event, respected scientists are saying that the Covid vaccines would not be expected to cause long term side effects. http://https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/video/what-are-the-long-term-side-effects-of-covid-19-vaccine

Last edited by Love2Swim; 03-09-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Not much is ever said about the millions and millions worldwide who have not received their shots and have been living life without incident also.
yes, the silent majority. I think the count is over 150 Million vaccinated. No deaths due to the vaccine itself that I can find.

yet the vocal minority will pop up and voice doom and gloom over the vaccine.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
To me it seems morally reprehensible to not get the vaccine, and be a person who endangers the health of others, which is what happens when people don't get vaccinated, and become asymptomatic carriers. Unless one has a valid excuse - for example too frail to deal with any side effects of the shot, or allergic, pregnant, etc., I don't see any excuse for not getting vaccinated. Looking at the practical side, one's actions may be limited in the future without having a vaccination card - travel to certain countries may be curtailed, ability to participate in certain group activities. In the future, it may be required for children to attend school, similiar to other vaccines like polio.
yes: Once COVID vaccines are available, states could elect to require that people who live within that state be vaccinated.

source: Can COVID-19 Vaccines Be Mandatory in the U.S. and Who Decides? - COVID-19 - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Old 03-09-2021, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
What is of most value to all of us? The answer is simple, our health. I refuse to be vaccinated with some sort of insufficiently tested substance, which, from what I hear, will never leave your body, and could, at some time in the future, be detrimental to our health. Should I contract Covid, I will most likely survive with no after effects. I do not trust our government, or others who are in some position of power, because many times they have their own agenda which is their first priority. I may, however, get the vaccination at some time in the future. If this is what you call being selfish, then, to me, getting the vaccine now is somewhat less than intelligent, and that is said diplomatically.
NOT TRUE. This is not what I have read in many articles about the mRNA vaccines. Read about debunked falsehoods here......
Fact check: Genetic materials from mRNA vaccines do not multiply in your body forever | Reuters
Old 03-09-2021, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
yes: Once COVID vaccines are available, states could elect to require that people who live within that state be vaccinated.

source: Can COVID-19 Vaccines Be Mandatory in the U.S. and Who Decides? - COVID-19 - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Interesting to see the Supreme Court's reasoning in regards to individual freedoms vs. the common good. In response to the argument about this individual liberty interest, the court said that sometimes individual interests might have to yield to state laws that endeavour to protect the health of everybody—the “common good.” The court said: “The rights of the individual may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint to be enforced by reasonable regulations as the safety of the general public may demand.”
Old 03-09-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Interesting to see the Supreme Court's reasoning in regards to individual freedoms vs. the common good. In response to the argument about this individual liberty interest, the court said that sometimes individual interests might have to yield to state laws that endeavour to protect the health of everybody—the “common good.” The court said: “The rights of the individual may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint to be enforced by reasonable regulations as the safety of the general public may demand.”
The Covid vaccine is an incredibly polarizing topic. Possibly because of the MRNA method of delivery, which has only been around for 10 years or so, but not understood.

I'm confident every one of us had a plethora of mandatory vaccinations just to attend school, and veterans had plenty more when entering service. But, viruses that were killing millions have been beaten back because of those vaccines are now almost a distant memory.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
I have a relative who is a microbiologist and researcher who has a patent pending for a vaccine, so he is very familiar with the testing procedures and requirements for FDA approval. He and his wife have been vaccinated against Covid, and they trust the science that went into that vaccine development. But this is what we know - the mRNA vaccines like the Covid vaccine have been studied for a long time before this pandemic for treatment of other issues like HIV, Zika and flu.And the makeup of the vaccine allows scientists to design the mRNA in a way so it does not stay in the cell longer than needed to generate immunity. While concern about long term effects is legitimate, people need to be aware of the misinformation out there. The anti-vaccine industry is very organized and is trying to move people to extreme positions about vaccines using conspiracy theories and false narratives. In some cases these groups simply do not believe in science, and in other cases, they hope to profit by selling other products to "protect" against Covid. In any event, respected scientists are saying that the Covid vaccines would not be expected to cause long term side effects. http://https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/video/what-are-the-long-term-side-effects-of-covid-19-vaccine
As to " the anti-vaccine industry is well organized and trying to move people to extreme positions" - Russian hackers are doing the same thing - for the purpose of sowing doubt and create wedges between US groups and parties.
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-vaxxers, folks, convince, vaccinate, someday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.