Vaccine "Passports"?

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2021, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Vaccine Passport doesn't seem much different than TSA PreCheck, Global Entry or Clear. All their purposes are to get you through a specific point faster, more conveniently and before others without the right paperwork. I'll bet if the government charged $100 for a Vaccine Passport you'd be waiting in line for hours to get one so you can beat the wait to get on a plane or boat or bus. .
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:27 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Vaccine Passport doesn't seem much different than TSA PreCheck, Global Entry or Clear. All their purposes are to get you through a specific point faster, more conveniently and before others without the right paperwork. I'll bet if the government charged $100 for a Vaccine Passport you'd be waiting in line for hours to get one so you can beat the wait to get on a plane or boat or bus. .
Vaccine passport to go shopping is a whole different ballgame.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
As of today no one knows how long the protection from infection or immunization lasts. No one knows how well infection or immunization will protect against the mutations which are continuously emerging.
Yet large numbers of people are willing to trample on and diminish EVERYONE'S liberty and freedom based on a vaccine of unproven durability and because of fear of something that at worst has taken the lives of about two-tenths of one percent of the population of this country... mostly consisting of the elderly with several comorbidities, about half of which were already in nursing homes.

How quickly and easily we give up that which so many of our ancestors fought and died to preserve. Very sad.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Vaccine passport to go shopping is a whole different ballgame.
Vaccine passport to go shopping is only a thing invented by fringe alt-I-don't-even-know-which-end to scare people into thinking the concept of vaccine cards, WHICH ALREADY EXIST, is evil and needs to be rejected.

It's not a thing. It's fake news conspiracy nonsense.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
Let's see if I've got this correct. We can't keep illegals from flooding into this country by the tens of thousands every day or keep the uninsured drivers off our streets and highways, but we're going to check the ID and Vaccine Passport of every person who goes into Walmart or Ace Hardware to buy some flashlight batteries or fertilizer for his lawn????

I guess that if a person didn't have a Vaccine Passport, they wouldn't be allowed in the grocery stores either. Guess they'd just have to go starve to death somewhere. And of course they wouldn't be allowed in the drug store to get medicine for their sick kid.

Got it. Now all we need is the Vaccine Police.
And we still have to wear masks according to Fauci.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yet large numbers of people are willing to trample on and diminish EVERYONE'S liberty and freedom based on a vaccine of unproven durability and because of fear of something that at worst has taken the lives of about two-tenths of one percent of the population of this country... mostly consisting of the elderly with several comorbidities, about half of which were already in nursing homes.

How quickly and easily we give up that which so many of our ancestors fought and died to preserve. Very sad.
It's not everyone's liberty and freedom. The vaccine cards ALREADY EXIST. Many international travelers ALREADY have them, for other vaccines. If you want to go THERE, then THOSE PEOPLE THERE want proof that you won't spread a deadly illness in their direction. You're welcome to stay where you are, no one is forcing you to go there. THEY have the freedom to say "you're not invited." So stop trying to jump on their freedom.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, we don't "have to" wear masks. He recommends it. But we don't have to. Although businesses might require you to anyway. And here's the fun part: even if Fauci says "you know what - it's time. Everyone remove your masks!" businesses can STILL require that you wear them.

The State of Florida has never mandated masks. Even while Fauci urged everyone to wear them.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
As well as hundreds (thousands?) of other virologists and scientists. If you have cable TV there is more than 1 channel to watch ... and as OBB said "he doesn't and didn't say you HAVE to."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No, you do not "have it correct."

This is no different from the vaccine cards many international travelers already have, in order to do that travelling. There are countries that require you to have proof of immunity or vaccination to specific illnesses, before they'll let you in.

That's what this is about. It's about travel to and from the USA. It could also be very useful for kids going to public school - since proof of immunization is required in public school systems all over the country anyway. Might as well keep it all on one simple coded card that you can just scan whenever necessary and they'd know immediately you're not Typhoid Mary Version 2021.
That may be YOUR understanding of "Vaccine Passports", but it clearly isn't the topic of this thread as clearly stated by the OP when he wrote "Our governor has said he will prohibit vaccine passports which would require us to prove we've been vaccinated in order to gain access to some businesses, offices, or restaurants."

So what part of "businesses, offices, or restaurants" do you think pertains to international travel? I don't think the OP or the governor were talking about international flight... but feel free to change the subject if you like.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Oh please, that a load of fake news. Sounds like Facebook trash.
Interesting that you say that. That's why I come to TOTV - usually, the discussion here is a bit more erudite than Facebook, that is, when people are not being condescending or snarky here. Facebook, on the other hand, is getting intolerable, imo.

That's the tradeoff as I see it. The discussions here are usually more intellectual and better written and thought out, but they are often more negative, insulting, snarky and condescending than most of what I see on Facebook.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

The Miami Heat NBA team has proposed having two kinds of seating areas. One where all the fans have been vaccinated where seating will not be spaced out, and another area for non-vaccinated people where social distancing will be required. This plan allows a private business to increase its income and at the same time reduce risk of Covid spread in the arena. This is exactly the kind of thing DeSantis wants to prohibit and is asking for the GOP controlled legislature to make Florida law beyond his planned executive order. He also plans to prohibit any local government from having a passport plan because in this situation he doesn't believe in local control. He also will prohibit airlines from requiring a passport to fly. Flights to many destinations including Hawaii already require a negative recent Covid PCR test to fly. Nobody asked DeSantis's permission to create that requirement.

Quote:
Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he plans to issue an executive order banning the use of so-called “vaccine passports” by businesses or local governments.

The governor is also pressing the legislature to take a more permanent measure against any requirements that would force someone to show proof of vaccination before entering a business or traveling.
So that's where we are now in Florida.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's not everyone's liberty and freedom. The vaccine cards ALREADY EXIST. Many international travelers ALREADY have them, for other vaccines. If you want to go THERE, then THOSE PEOPLE THERE want proof that you won't spread a deadly illness in their direction. You're welcome to stay where you are, no one is forcing you to go there. THEY have the freedom to say "you're not invited." So stop trying to jump on their freedom.
Seems to me, when I applied for my passport 40 years ago, I was not required to show anything save proof of citizenship. I can present my passport and fly to the Caribbean or Europe if the borders to that country are open. I am not required to show proof of any immunizations. I can fly anywhere within THIS country without proof of immunization.
Vaccine passports are an absurd overreaction to covid19.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

The European Union is going to introduce some sort of passport for aproved vaccines and free travel in Europe.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
The idea of "vaccine passports" is contradictory with what the vaccine advocates contend is true. They contend that people who get the vaccine will be safe from catching and transmitting the virus. If this premise is true, then they should have no worry about being around someone who hasn't had the vaccine. Perhaps the person had the virus and recovered with no problems... in which case, their immunity is probably as good as someone who had the vaccine. Even if they haven't had the virus, the unvaccinated person is the one at greater risk by being there than the vaccinated person, so why should they be prohibited from any public place?
Because the unvaccinated person may come into contact with another unvaccinated person. Thats why. Plus, some people have medical reasons why they cant get the vaccine and the uvaccinated may come into contact with them. Theres many many reasons. And besides, whats the big deal getting the vaccine. There are mandatory vaccines for kids entering school so why is a vaccine for a world pandemic not a reason to get it
Old 03-31-2021, 04:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
To expand on what I said above, if an individual feels that they are particularly vulnerable to the virus, then why wouldn't it be THEIR responsibility to stay out of public places or take extra precautions such as double masking in order to protect themselves? Why should someone whose personal risk level from the virus is way less than 1% be prohibited from being in a public place just because some particularly vulnerable person doesn't feel safe?

Shouldn't self protection be the primary responsibility of the individual rather than placing the burden upon society to protect them by giving up their own freedoms?
Because wearing a mask doesnt protect the wearer! It protects others from them. This has been explained since the start of the pandemic
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, government, passports, regulation, generally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.