What happened to the PC term, "African Americans"????

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 05:25 AM

From the mouth of those in the know, (my teenage grandchild), not all blacks are from Africa, so the term is obsolete. See, they are learning something?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnut View Post
it should just be american. That's what we should call ourselves.
amen.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I called my grandfather "Grandpa" and he liked that term. It worked for both of us. But now that I am of that age I want my grandchildren to use a different term for me. My grandchildren may use grandpa with their other grandfather but they have learned that my preferred term differs. It is a sign of respect for my feelings that they use my preferred name. If at one time Black Americans wanted to be called colored because at least it was better than "n..r" then colored it is. If later they went to Negro as it made them more comfortable, then Negro it should be. If later this becomes African American then it behooves any reasonable person to switch to African American. If now it is Black, I don't see the problem.

What term people use within their own group is not automatically a term a non-member of the group is allowed to use. If I were Jewish and I called my friend Hymie boy or Kike that does not give you permission to use the term. Within a group the foul label being hurled by the oppressing non-member at it is often used to attempt to have it loose its power. Yankee Doodle was an major insult when used by the British. Even after its adoption by the Revolutionaries, it was still an insult when used by a British soldier.
Interesting how you inserted dots for an awful black slur, but thought nothing of just tossing in similarly despicable Jewish slurs as complete words. There's some irony here, too, as one of the terms you mentioned was used by prominent black Americans - Jesse Jackson, being one.

Oh, what am I saying...Jews never suffered in world history. It's not like millions of them were summarily executed - many after being forced into despicable conditions in slave labor camps. And it's not like many people still hold Jews in contempt. You know..."they control all the money", etc, or that there are actual countries that want to destroy Israel. Never mind. All's good.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I have a good friend that is African, from Africa. I also have a relative that is African from Africa. Both are white. Neither refer to themselves as Anglo Africans or White Africans. From the REAL Africans that I am acquainted with, they consider it a slight that our black Americans refer to themselves as African Americans, when there is hardly any commonality other than genealogically diluted blood. Whether or not they are speaking through cultural or pride bias, one can only speculate.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Every single post on this forum I read about our current events and the protestors speak of "blacks" and not once have I read the term "African Americans". Seems to me that PC term has gone by the wayside. Is this because the BLM movement has sort of wiped out the PC terminology?

Also....must say I have not seen that PC term "African American" in news print, on line or stated in news broadcasts. They are referred to as "black"!
Who determines PC? I recently watched two blacks on a video laughing at Pelosi, schemer, and several other Democratic politicians wearing shawls from "Roots" and kneeling on the capitol steps. as they said, it's an insult to black people. NOT ALL AFRICANS are black. These and I would hope more want to be called AMERICANS.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default Like this thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapnut View Post
It should just be American. That's what we should call ourselves.
I agree. We Americans should be referred to as such, although it would make it more difficult in trying to describe the person whom you are needing to meet at an airport, a restaurant or other situation where you have never met before. For example, someone is coming into town for a business meeting and you are assigned the task of picking them up. " How will I recognize them" you ask. If your boss says "they are American", you won't have much to go on.
Personally, I would prefer to be "Caucasian" rather than "White" because I am not white, I'm actually a shade of beige or tan, depending on how much time I spend in the sun. Hey, that is just me. I was not raised to think some people are good or bad or inferior or better because of their race. I was taught to recognize different cultures and appreciate the beauty that diversity brings to the world. I guess not everybody sees it that way, and to me, that is sad.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Black and White.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 AM

I’ve never really understood the African American term. After all, we all have African ancestors. In fact, we are all cousins (other than direct ancestors, etc.). I don’t see why we can’t get along and put this ugly racist crap that seems to have flourished in the last four years behind us.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Is THIS ongoing news from Chicago (and other violence in metro areas) reported by Mainstream Media??? -perhaps a passing mention, but... of course not - it simply DOES NOT fit the narrative for Media and BLM.

It's STUNNING that mayors/council etc of these communities are not tarred and feathered out of office.

Imagine if ONE Police Officer shot and grazed a citizen ---- HELL would break loose in the Mass Media and BLM.

But these ongoing B on B murders on our city streets - barely a mention, and shhhhh by movement leaders et al. What a disgrace...
-------------------------------------------

Chicago's weekend shootings kill at least 13, including 1-year-old boy, 10-year-old girl, reports say

Chicago faced another bloody weekend, with at least 13 people killed in shootings – including a 1-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl, prompting new fears about a violent summer ahead.

The violence, which followed a deadly Father's Day weekend, started Friday evening when a 42-year-old man was shot in the head while walking on the sidewalk in the Austin neighborhood, police said.

On Saturday night, a stray bullet flew through an apartment window in the Logan Square neighborhood and struck the 10-year-old girl, according to police spokesman Roberto Garduno. The girl later died at a hospital.

Preliminary information showed the gunfire came from a group who had been shooting at each other on the block, he said. No one was in custody Sunday.

Earlier Saturday in the Englewood neighborhood on the city's South Side, a 1-year-old boy who was riding in the back of a car driven by his mother was shot when someone opened fire from another car. The mother suffered a graze wound to the head. The boy was identified as Sincere A. Gaston.

Police said the motive for the shooting was unclear.

Superintendent David Brown pleaded with the public for someone to come forward with details.

Around 11:30 a.m. Saturday, 17-year-old Antiwon Douglas was killed. Police said he got into a fight before someone from a large crowd that was gathered in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the city's West Side fired shots.

At least nine other people died in shootings through Sunday. The violence has prompted activists and local leaders to call for more state and federal support.

"It's out of control where even innocent children are losing their lives," said neighborhood activist Raul Montes Jr., who planned a Sunday-evening vigil on the city's southwest side.

He called for federal intervention while a state legislator announced a new task force to address underlying issues.

"Violence is a result of poverty, and must be addressed with human services and support," state Rep. La Shawn Ford, a Chicago Democrat, said in a statement. The group called on federal, state and city leaders for support.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 AM

I use their first name and that seems to work well. They pretend not to notice I’m Irish and I pretend not to know their black. Neither of us is offrnded.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I’ve never really understood the African American term. After all, we all have African ancestors. In fact, we are all cousins (other than direct ancestors, etc.). I don’t see why we can’t get along and put this ugly racist crap that seems to have flourished in the last four years behind us.
Do you sincerely believe this "racist crap" has only been going on for 4 years??????
Old 06-29-2020, 07:14 AM

Real equality will not happen until those hyphens disappear
Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 AM

Easier to type
Old 06-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

[QUOTE=DeanFL;1794283]Is THIS ongoing news from Chicago (and other violence in metro areas) reported by Mainstream Media??? -perhaps a passing mention, but... of course not - it simply DOES NOT fit the narrative for Media and BLM.

It's STUNNING that mayors/council etc of these communities are not tarred and feathered out of office.

Imagine if ONE Police Officer shot and grazed a citizen ---- HELL would break loose in the Mass Media and BLM.

But these ongoing B on B murders on our city streets - barely a mention, and shhhhh by movement leaders et al. What a disgrace...
-------------------------------------------

and more....

Anyone here about THIS on the news???
?

------------------------

A Chicago man is accused of killing two teenagers at a convenience store this month after they asked how tall he was, authorities said on Thursday.

VIOLENT WEEKEND IN CHICAGO: 15 KILLED, INCLUDING 1-YEAR-OLD

Laroy Battle, 19, reportedly opened fire on Jasean Francis, 17, and Charles Riley, 16, in a back ally around 5 p.m. on June 20 after they and a friend walked home from buying candy at the store -- following a brief encounter with the suspect.

The teenagers, described as “very good kids from really excellent families,” were reportedly asked by their mothers to buy candy at the store. They didn't know Battle, but after asking about his 6-foot-3 height, he reportedly followed them out and fired nine rounds at the teenagers, police said.

Chicago man killed 2 teens after they asked how tall he was, police say | Fox News
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Every single post on this forum I read about our current events and the protestors speak of "blacks" and not once have I read the term "African Americans". Seems to me that PC term has gone by the wayside. Is this because the BLM movement has sort of wiped out the PC terminology?

Also....must say I have not seen that PC term "African American" in news print, on line or stated in news broadcasts. They are referred to as "black"!
A better question is why we used terms like -American to begin with. To my knowledge, no other country uses terms like that, other than French Canadian.
Closed Thread

Tags
term, african, americans, news, read

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.