What has the clergy said?

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Now where have I heard that before?

BTW would you agree that our society is so much better now than say 60 years ago?

We had been moving in the right direction until fairly recently.
About recent changes - International Affairs expert Richard Haas says that CV will not CHANGE History, but it will ACCELERATE History. So, I assume it will ACCELERATE either more or less Racism. If so, buckle up America!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:46 AM
TOTV Moderator

Reminder...the topic is how your clergy has discussed race relations in recent times.

The thread is being derailed by a discussion of covid case counts. Please stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
What has the clergy said?

"Please send donations!"
Great post! Remember that Falwell - fell well into a sex scandal and fraud. And remember the young boys, who received a type of absolution, and the Priests, who got transferred around early in that scandal. I guess those are examples of "good advice".
Old 09-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, in economics we referred to these types of measures as “rubber rulers”. Forgive my scepticism no one wants Florida free of Covid more than I do.
I wish that my teachers in grade school had used "rubber rulers" back in the "dark ages" of primary education..
Old 09-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerforever View Post
I remember a sermon when I was a teenager in rural Missouri with this very topic. The minister actually had the foresight of racial entitlement--not 'white privilege' that is being thrown around by MSM and a segment of society today but the beginning of the reparation talk and how misguided it was.
As to reparations ---- I read that Abe Lincoln had a idea to send back Blacks, that volunteered to do so, back to Africa. Maybe his getting assassinated prevented that. And maybe(?) 50% of Blacks would have taken him up on that offer. And maybe (?) the present generation of those returning to Afrrica would be happier than those presently in America. It probably (?) sounds racist for me to say that. But, I think I am not. And I am not advocating any future repatriation or resettlement. (Native Americans are in greater need of reparations.) I just wish we were all one color or, better still, we could all be perfectly comfortable with our diversity. Diversity is good, but can be turned into problems when foreign countries and others are determined to use 'wedge issues" to spark a race riot or war. We are in VERY precarious times. Do not turn diversity into hatred!
Old 09-01-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Didn’t mean to derail the topic. I can’t remember any clergy addressing bigotry or racism, but I was in Bible College. We were regularly sent to Africa and other places in the world. We spent up to 4 years to learn the language of where we were going. I studied to be a Bible translator. To write the Bible in languages which may not have a written form yet. Also to help out in any way we could with what the people we went to needed. Clean water etc. We went by invitation only. Somehow racism never came up.
Thank you for your service, which was as good or better than military service. Very empathetic and humanitarian thing to do. Also good learning language skills and experience broadening by travel and leaving the US "jingoistic bubble".
Old 09-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

Racism, especially systemic racism is a worn out crutch. You cannot mandate an "opinion." You can only mandate ones actions and treatment of others. No one can outlaw prejudice, or bigotry. Laws only mandate equal treatment regardless of ethnicity. I have known several racists that were/are great people and treat minorities as if they were colorblind. These same people would risk their lives for those same people and they treat all people with equal kindness. Being prejudice does not make a person a bad person. Treatment of people badly makes bad people. You will never rid the world of prejudice. Protesting and demonstrations only serve to change the laws or how laws are enforced, not change people's minds. You do not garner support by destroying property and assaulting people that don't agree with you. If one wants to erase racism, you must gain the respect of those that are prejudice against you. Motivation, hard work and kindness will gain you respect.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post
There is the height of arrogance and narcissism .. entering another country to teach them your “bible”. By the way, Bible College is an oxymoron.
I am NOT a RELIGIOSITY proponent, but I can live with the other poster (OP)'s diversity. We are not ants or bees with only one mind. The OP has, obviously, a strong education and intellect. The OP seems to be openminded. Probably never cheated or harmed another human being. I have been surrounded with MUCH worse throughout my life. Just on what little I have read of the OP posts, I believe I could trust them. And if I were correct, I would not mind more in TV Land around me.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post
There is the height of arrogance and narcissism .. entering another country to teach them your “bible”. By the way, Bible College is an oxymoron.
Where do you go? When you've gone TOO far?
Old 09-01-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Treating others as they treat you is not the same as “do unto others as you would want done unto you.” The latter is the way of peace and love for your fellow man, the former is the way of retaliation and hate. Loving those who do bad does not mean you agree with what they are doing, but it just may help them rethink their course of action. Also consider Matthew 5: 44-47.
Some good logic there. To me it means, for example, today - don't spend energy hating the looters, but ask yourself WHY? And 3 WHYS ---1 ) Are they in need of food or money because of no work, or possibly just greedy? ---2 ) Are they anarchists and Antifa setting the stage and sparking the LOOTERS ?--- 3 ) What is the ROOT cause of the protests and so MANY protestors being involve - is their cause just ? What is more important - that some EGGS got cracked or does society deserve a NEW omelet ????
Old 09-01-2020, 01:19 PM

I was a volunteer engineer on a team that traveled several times each year to Haiti. We were comprised of engineers, doctors, nurses, etc. My responsibility was to oversee the building of schools and a healthcare clinic and work on a water pipeline.

On one of my first trips, I had to replace some PRVs on a pipeline. I was down in a pit, waist deep in mud pulling out the old valves when I looked up and realized that I was surrounded by about 15 men who were staring and silently watching me work. When I finished, the gaggle of men followed me to the next worksite and a few even volunteered to carry my pipe wrenches. When I returned to the rectory, I told Father that I had a bit of a crowd watching me and thought it was rather humorous... let me put this into context: I am a woman. So on Sunday at mass, Father asked me to come forward and stand in front of his parishioners. He explained that I had a degree in engineering and it was because of my education that they had access to clean water. He asked them to think about their own daughters and what they could achieve if they would allow them to attend school. Since then, Father has reported a steady increase in female enrollment and I have returned several times to attend graduation ceremonies and even to see a few go on to college. It was heart warming to see progress in this incredibly destitute and remote village and especially the change in attitude of men who often asked me if they could send their daughters to help me in my work.

I am not an overly religious person, but I do attend church and I believe with my whole heart that ‘actions speak louder than words’. Recent homilies have included discussions concerning equality, centered around love, but more so to show one’s love through actions. While I knew at the time how important it was for me to fix the pipeline, I had no idea what the overall impact this would have. My actions spoke volumes and gave young women hope.

As a woman engineer, I know first hand the uphill battle of discrimination. Both race and gender have their challenges. I never let this be a roadblock. I persevere. Attitudes will change. It takes time.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty94 View Post
I was a volunteer engineer on a team that traveled several times each year to Haiti. We were comprised of engineers, doctors, nurses, etc. My responsibility was to oversee the building of schools and a healthcare clinic and work on a water pipeline.

On one of my first trips, I had to replace some PRVs on a pipeline. I was down in a pit, waist deep in mud pulling out the old valves when I looked up and realized that I was surrounded by about 15 men who were staring and silently watching me work. When I finished, the gaggle of men followed me to the next worksite and a few even volunteered to carry my pipe wrenches. When I returned to the rectory, I told Father that I had a bit of a crowd watching me and thought it was rather humorous... let me put this into context: I am a woman. So on Sunday at mass, Father asked me to come forward and stand in front of his parishioners. He explained that I had a degree in engineering and it was because of my education that they had access to clean water. He asked them to think about their own daughters and what they could achieve if they would allow them to attend school. Since then, Father has reported a steady increase in female enrollment and I have returned several times to attend graduation ceremonies and even to see a few go on to college. It was heart warming to see progress in this incredibly destitute and remote village and especially the change in attitude of men who often asked me if they could send their daughters to help me in my work.

I am not an overly religious person, but I do attend church and I believe with my whole heart that ‘actions speak louder than words’. Recent homilies have included discussions concerning equality, centered around love, but more so to show one’s love through actions. While I knew at the time how important it was for me to fix the pipeline, I had no idea what the overall impact this would have. My actions spoke volumes and gave young women hope.

As a woman engineer, I know first hand the uphill battle of discrimination. Both race and gender have their challenges. I never let this be a roadblock. I persevere. Attitudes will change. It takes time.
Truely impressive. Max giving back. You are a better person than I - lady Gunga Din.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Get yourself a nice cup of coffee sit back and relax. Here is our clergy’s response - 32 pages long.

My take away? Each one of us needs to look deep within and see where changes need to be made.

https://www.usccb.org/issues-and-act...our-hearts.pdf

Last edited by kendi; 09-01-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The question suggests an end result being sought is, the total elimination of bigotry and racism.
Statiscaly and realistically ....unrealistic!
Doesn’t really matter. The point is to continually work towards reducing it.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsocat View Post
"What has the clergy said?" Do you really need someone to interpret the Bible to you? Read it yourself and you will find the answers to the right way to proceed in all situations you may confront. Morality and value systems are different for each individual so only their personal interpretations of right and wrong will determine the message they receive.
I was looking forward to the responses to your question but from what I saw everyone went off topic. Wonder if that means they have no idea what their clergy is saying. 🤔
Closed Thread

Tags
clergy, hear, interested, person, topic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.