WHAT? Now "DIXIE" is a BAD/RACIST WORD?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Master Lock may have to change its name and rename its products as their names contain offensive words. Here is an ad for one from Target "Master" Lock 40mm "Shackle" Key Lock "Black". Thank you for noting this Larry Elder.

https://www.target.com/p/master-lock...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
Oh no, now no Dixie cups or creamsicles. What next. This is just becoming a joke. How can you take any of this seriously with all this nonsense going on. Removing all history, good or bad, isn’t the answer.
I do not take any of this seriously hopefully this is just a stupid phase we are going thru.

Cannot believe a very small part of our country is taking over.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:15 AM

Nothing is perfect and these and as long as there are stupid people, we will have problems. It’s better than it was 300 YEARS AGO......and of course we still need to improve. What will they call the golf tournament.....
We can’t call it “The Masters”....that’s offensive. How about working on things that would help move things forward. Changing names ain’t gonna do it.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:30 AM

She doesn't own the park. She may have some minority interest. She is being paid for the use of her name. I would guess she has some say in what goes on there according to contract.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:34 AM

I guess this means Dixie Cups are gone.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyS View Post
Guess plantation and master will be next
You are right about “master”. I read that Houston Association of Realtors is changing master bedroom/bathroom to “primary” bedroom/bathroom
Old 06-27-2020, 05:46 AM
Default We are a nation of sheep.

How cowardly of these companies succumbing to pressure from the pc mob. We are allowing to be led by the nose by a group of people whose sole aim is to destroy our history and our nation. When is corporate America gonna have the gonads to say "enough!"
We are also complicit by allowing this to happen. Totalitarianism and the loss of freedom of expression is next. Welcome to the new Amerika. No longer as free nation. The silent majority can be silent no more!
Old 06-27-2020, 05:48 AM

I have a friend whose company name begins with Dixie. I wonder when he will capitulate.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:50 AM

Totalitarianism is here.

Last edited by camaguey48; 06-27-2020 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Missspelling
Old 06-27-2020, 05:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Well to the surprise of almost no one, the TMZ article was incorrect (aka fake news). According to the chain's spokesman Joe Caldwell, they have no plans to change their name and hadn't been considering it. He did say his company is supported of BLM, and against racism, and would always serve the needs of its communities. So it seems that he's left it open to possibility even though right now it's not on the table for consideration.

Also he reminded everyone that the name of the company is Southeastern Groceries. So that sort of leaves it open for the possibility that they'll just drop the Winn-Dixie part completely and go with SE Groceries, since everyone who shops there already is familiar with that as their label for all their store-brand products anyway.
Fake news? No, that would never happen. :-). People need to fact check their sources before posting
Old 06-27-2020, 05:58 AM

I know. We could call it Malcolm X market. Fill it with Oprah pancake syrup. Then declare racism to be over and history never happened.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 AM
Bikeracer2009

I didn't look up the meaning of Dixie so I'm just going by my memory of an old song. I think the term "Dixie" refers to Confederate land or states.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:22 AM

Like mentioned above, master lock company is under the gun. Also realtors are changing listings from Master bedroom to just primary bedroom. Master card I’m sure will put out a statement soon. Any of you car mechanics that know what a slave cyclinder is, guess what it’s being changed in schematic diagrams and other auto parts stores.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Really? When will this stuff end? What would this solve? Who would pay for re-branding etc? Are you as tired of this as I am???

WINN-DIXIE SUPERMARKETS
CONSIDER CHANGING 95-YEAR-OLD NAME ...
After George Floyd's Death

One of the largest supermarket chains based in the Southeast is considering dropping its name after nearly 100 years ... a move triggered by the death of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Sources at Winn-Dixie tell TMZ ... the supermarket chain -- billed as a southern heritage brand serving Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi -- is considering changing its name because, just like The Chicks, it deems the term "Dixie" as problematic due to ties to the old south and its way of thinking.

The Dixie Chicks Changed Their Name Because The Word 'Dixie' Is Problematic
They're now simply "The Chicks."

Access Denied
TMZ report: Winn-Dixie considering new name | Jax Daily Record | Jacksonville Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida
Years ago WDW changed the name of their Dixie Landings resort to Port Orleans Riverside because of backlash. Now WDW is "re-imagining" the Splash Mountain Ride from Song of the South theme to The Princess and the Frog which portrays a princess "of color". No more Zippity Doo Dah. Judy and I were saying last week that Wynn-Dixie will be next. Congress is suggesting that Washington D.C. should be a state and renamed "Washington-Douglass" after Frederick Douglass who was born 2 decades AFTER Washingon D.C. was founded and had nothing to do with it. The history rewriting has just begun. Where is George Orwell?
Ron
Old 06-27-2020, 06:36 AM

How about southern song with a line " I wish I was in Dixie", should that be banned. Give an inch y'all lose a yard. Just saying.
Namvet.
Closed Thread

Tags
dixie, chicks, winn-dixie, changing, george

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.