Why isn't THIS Headline news across the USA?

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2021, 07:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Why isn't THIS Headline news across the USA?

Whenever there is a 'mass shooting' it's huge news for a few days, as the nut killing 10 in the Boulder, CO store over a week ago and the Atlanta nut killing 8 around Massage stores. Yes horrible and deserves wide coverage.

But, DAYS after (last week) in a PUBLIX supermarket in Atlanta THIS ocurred>

An Instacart shopper believed he heard someone loading guns in a bathroom stall.
Police arrested a man with 6 guns

(CNN)An Instacart shopper who entered an Atlanta supermarket bathroom this week told police he saw an AR-15 style rifle and heard what he believed was the sound of someone loading guns in a bathroom stall.

The witness rushed out of the bathroom and notified staff at the Publix Supermarket. When police arrived soon after, they arrested a suspect as he was exiting the bathroom -- with six loaded guns in his possession.
The suspect, identified as 22-year-old Rico Marley, now faces a slew of charges related to the incident, which came just days after 10 people were killed in a mass shooting at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado.

According to the police incident report, Russell was entering the men's restroom when he "heard clicking sounds from the bathroom stall."
"It sounded to him like someone was loading firearms," an Atlanta officer wrote. "He also told me that he saw an AR-15 style rifle leaned against the wall."

After arresting Marley, police recovered six firearms: a DPMS AR-15-style rifle, a 12-gauge Maverick Arms Modell 88 shotgun, three semi-automatic 9 mm pistols and a .38-caliber revolver. All of the weapons were loaded and the rifle, shotgun and three 9 mm pistols all had a round in the chamber, according to the police report.
The suspect, who was wearing body armor when he was arrested, had the four handguns in his clothing while the rifle and shotgun were being carried inside a bag, the report says.

Att is a police photo of his loaded weapons. Imagine if that guy didn't hear the noise in the bathroom and alert police? yikes.
My reasoning for posting this is:

Why wasn't this HUGE nationwide news?
I happened upon this on a Yahoo news feed a couple days ago, googled and found this CNN article, and some others.
...only supposition I could arrive at was the 'suspect', that he didn't fit the 'Media's' model of the "typical" mass shooter to exploit.

An Instacart shopper believed he heard someone loading guns in a bathroom stall. Police arrested a man with 6 guns - CNN
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	210326090643-rico-marley-guns-exlarge-169.jpg
Views:	1674
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	88813  
Old 03-27-2021, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

The guy who stopped this is a hero
Old 03-27-2021, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If this potential shooter knew that 75% of the people in that supermarket, including managers and employees, were armed he probably wouldn't have thought about what he was about to do.

The same for the Boulder shooter.

There are of course, a few of these idiots that want to die and would still try a mass shooting knowing that they would be killed, but if more people were armed, the damage would be minimized.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:37 AM

People, be aware of your surroundings like this citizen that heard the loading of the guns, take notice of what is around you. These potential perps are anywhere/everywhere, even the most affuential areas of the country.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

This story has been widely reported.
Man arrested after taking 6 guns, body armor into Atlanta Publix

Atlanta man arrested with 6 guns, body armor at Publix grocery store - ABC News

Man arrested at Atlanta grocery with six guns, body armor, police say

Heavily Armed Man Arrested in Atlanta Grocery Store - The New York Times

Man walked into Atlanta grocery store with five guns, body armor, police say | Fox News

The most important detail you omitted is that the police are having a problem finding any gun law that was broken as Georgia has no regulation on open carry of weapons or wearing of body armor. That is the biggest part of the story IMO.

He has been charged with "criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possession of a firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies." But there has been no publication that I have found of what felony they are alleging he was attempting to commit.

Here is what he had on him at the time of his arrest at Publix which I know is posted above, but not specifically labelled as what was on the man.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	guns.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	88816  
Old 03-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

As I always tell my wife, beware of your surroundings, the guy behind you in line at the supermarket may be a crazy person.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If this potential shooter knew that 75% of the people in that supermarket, including managers and employees, were armed he probably wouldn't have thought about what he was about to do.

The same for the Boulder shooter.

There are of course, a few of these idiots that want to die and would still try a mass shooting knowing that they would be killed, but if more people were armed, the damage would be minimized.
To be honest, I’m surprised to hear this from a John Lennon/Beatles fan.

///o-o\\\
Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

. . .

Last edited by Boomer; 03-27-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

HLN was on a couple of mornings ago and I remember hearing that story. I also wondered why they didn't go into more detail or repeat the story. I lived in Atlanta for a year in 1988, and before that Savannah for a total of ten years over two different times. I can say, there is a lot of crazy people in Georgia, even more than Florida has, if you can believe that.
EXACTLY my point. And I really do not want to bring the "R" matter into this, but when looking a bit deeply into this, can't help but see that.

This guy DOES NOT FIT the mass shooting guy the Media wants to promote. I may be cycnical, but IF he did - it would receive much more Press. Also per the CNN article, they said paramedics did a Mental evaluation. I MUST wonder, will the results of this and more psych tests be revealed at some time. Some mass shooters no doubt have a bias towards some, or what to make a name, but I would believe (and hope) that the majority are mentally ill.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Some mass shooters no doubt have a bias towards some, or what to make a name, but I would believe (and hope) that the majority are mentally ill.
Bingo! And that’s exactly where we should be focusing our attention, imo, as much or more than gun “control.”

But as long as mental health treatment remains stigmatized and a sign of supposed weakness, it’s not going to happen.

I’d like to see a full blown Marshall Plan and a flood of funding like MADD accomplished in the ‘80s, showing there’s no shame in seeking help, and making that help free and easily accessible.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

They are coming for our guns even though none of my guns have never killed anything.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
EXACTLY my point. And I really do not want to bring the "R" matter into this, but when looking a bit deeply into this, can't help but see that.

This guy DOES NOT FIT the mass shooting guy the Media wants to promote. I may be cycnical, but IF he did - it would receive much more Press. Also per the CNN article, they said paramedics did a Mental evaluation. I MUST wonder, will the results of this and more psych tests be revealed at some time. Some mass shooters no doubt have a bias towards some, or what to make a name, but I would believe (and hope) that the majority are mentally ill.
Media only wants to promote crazy white guy who is not a muslim.

If they cannot pigeonhole them into that category will move on to the next one
Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The seemingly stifling of open commentary, by far too many special interest groups, would not support "see something say something".
Old 03-28-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
This story has been widely reported.
Man arrested after taking 6 guns, body armor into Atlanta Publix

Atlanta man arrested with 6 guns, body armor at Publix grocery store - ABC News

Man arrested at Atlanta grocery with six guns, body armor, police say

Heavily Armed Man Arrested in Atlanta Grocery Store - The New York Times

Man walked into Atlanta grocery store with five guns, body armor, police say | Fox News

The most important detail you omitted is that the police are having a problem finding any gun law that was broken as Georgia has no regulation on open carry of weapons or wearing of body armor. That is the biggest part of the story IMO.

He has been charged with "criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possession of a firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies." But there has been no publication that I have found of what felony they are alleging he was attempting to commit.

Here is what he had on him at the time of his arrest at Publix which I know is posted above, but not specifically labelled as what was on the man.
If gun control laws were the answer, Detroit would be the safest place in the country.

Tags
police, bathroom, rifle, supermarket, atlanta

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.