Why "White Power?"

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Some people have lived their lives being belittled, intimidated, harassed, etc. and the only way the know to have someone stop, they are being provoked, is to say things that are so outlandish to shut them up. (They don’t mean it, just want them to stop harassing them)
This is what comes out in situations like that was. That is what MOST people are blind to see.
I don’t agree with it but I have seen it over and over again.
Some people actually do the provoking to get “it on camera” with this day and age of everyone has a camera.
It has nothing to do with why would someone do that AND mean it.
Think about that.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM
John41

When I was in high school the black male students would hang out in the boys restroom and bully the smaller white kids that came. My friend said that was on the job training for them in their future occupations. There were a few popular black students and they were readily included in activities with my white friends. My parents were very open minded and would not tolerate any racial or religious remarks toward minorities. But we saw in school that for the most part the black students were low achievers except in sports and sometimes music. They also seemed to walk around with a chip on their shoulders. Then in college we never saw black students. When the company I worked for was forced by law to hire minorities most of them were clearly not up to job requirements and just for show. Then they got promotions over better qualified whites which was unfair.(two wrongs don’t make a right). Many of them went on welfare at taxpayers expense and the fathers left home. The athletes like OJ seemed to always get in trouble with the law . The rap music had a theme of violence and hatred of women. So there you have a few reasons while many whites have a low opinion of blacks. This is unfortunate because there are some very smart blacks who contribute to society and they should be in the news not the protesters. But the media hates our country and uses and encourages blacks to be their pawns.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Why is no one questioning the "F**k Trump comments? Why is the woman who stood in the way of a golf cart not the center of this story.
Simply because there is a difference between "offensively rude protest" and "blatant racism."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have never ever heard anyone say "white power". I honestly didn't know it was wrong to say. Who gets to decide what is naughty and what is nice???
Old 07-04-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
When I was in high school the black male students would hang out in the boys restroom and bully the smaller white kids that came. My friend said that was on the job training for them in their future occupations. There were a few popular black students and they were readily included in activities with my white friends. My parents were very open minded and would not tolerate any racial or religious remarks toward minorities. But we saw in school that for the most part the black students were low achievers except in sports and sometimes music. They also seemed to walk around with a chip on their shoulders. Then in college we never saw black students. When the company I worked for was forced by law to hire minorities most of them were clearly not up to job requirements and just for show. Then they got promotions over better qualified whites which was unfair.(two wrongs don’t make a right). Many of them went on welfare at taxpayers expense and the fathers left home. The athletes like OJ seemed to always get in trouble with the law . The rap music had a theme of violence and hatred of women. So there you have a few reasons while many whites have a low opinion of blacks. This is unfortunate because there are some very smart blacks who contribute to society and they should be in the news not the protesters. But the media hates our country and uses and encourages blacks to be their pawns.
Well stated! Your experiences and observations parallel mine.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran member
Default White Black Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry L Elliott View Post
LoisR
One simple question to you....would you object if someone had yelled “black power”.
My objection to your post has nothing to do with the comment. My objection is that you object to the man saying “white power”. Where are his equal rights?
To paraphrase a quote...I do not support what he said but I will defend to the death his right to say it.
After all....it is the 4th of July.
Have a good one.
Not absolutely sure, but I don't think angry whites started saying "white power" until those American Olympic medalists in 1968 raised their fists and the media described it as a "black power salute."
Old 07-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
I agree that many people form their opinions based on what they see in the media and even worse by what they read on social media like facebook. Where I came from was a very diverse city and my son was able to swear in several different languages. In each nationality/race there were good people and bad but the only ones you heard about were the bad ones.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
You are being too logical about it. I think you are supposed to ignore or forget all of these types of observations and experiences.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have never ever heard anyone say "white power". I honestly didn't know it was wrong to say. Who gets to decide what is naughty and what is nice???

My guess is that we each get to decide what is naughty and what is nice...it's all based upon our personal values, beliefs and common sense..

the conundrum is that we don't all share the same values, beliefs and common sense

I read once that all communication occurs in the mind of the listener....I believe that to be true. If we're not on the same wave length, share the same values the risk of being misunderstood is always present...

a phrase or word that we believe to mean one thing can have a totally different connotation for someone else once it goes through their 'filter'...our voice intonation can change the way that a phrase is 'heard'...and unfortunately someone ends up taking umbrage, when no offense was intended

then you can throw into the mix a subculture that assigns a new meaning to a phrase, or those who's deliberate desire is to stir the pot and foster their own personal objective or cause...and that changes everything

There is a book that came out about 20 years ago titled "The Four Agreements"

- be impeccable with your words;
- don't take anything personal;
- don't make assumptions
- always do your best

principles to live life by and truly help one determine what is naughty and what is nice
Old 07-04-2020, 12:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:

My grandson related the same thing to me about his high school in Knoxville, TN. He said that black students would stand in a group in the middle of the hall way and if a white student tried to walk through them there would be a fight. He said a white student had to be on their toes to avoid incidents like that. This was one of the highest rated schools in Knoxville. I've never heard him express any racial animus towards minorities. I guess we know who the bigger person is.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Simply because there is a difference between "offensively rude protest" and "blatant racism."
Malarkey! Calling someone a Nazi or asking "where's your hood" are racist, it's racist to imply someone is racist when all they are doing is participating in a peaceful cart parade for someone you didn't vote for.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to jim1941

I'll bet there was alcohol involved on both sides. Sometimes we do and say crazy things when we are under the influence. It's another black eye for The Villages. I wonder if Red Sauce will come up with a "White Power" drink like they did with the "Sex on the Square" drink.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:15 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Is it racist to have Black Entertainment Television or Miss black USA or the black caucus in Washington. What if all those BLACK words were replaced by WHITE? Would that be racist?
Old 07-04-2020, 01:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1941 View Post
I'll bet there was alcohol involved on both sides. Sometimes we do and say crazy things when we are under the influence. It's another black eye for The Villages. I wonder if Red Sauce will come up with a "White Power" drink like they did with the "Sex on the Square" drink.
They likely serve White Russians and Johnny Walker Black Label scotch. If so they are even steven.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-04-2020, 01:40 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
My grandson related the same thing to me about his high school in Knoxville, TN. He said that black students would stand in a group in the middle of the hall way and if a white student tried to walk through them there would be a fight. He said a white student had to be on their toes to avoid incidents like that. This was one of the highest rated schools in Knoxville. I've never heard him express any racial animus towards minorities. I guess we know who the bigger person is.
Maybe, he simply doesn’t learn from experience. Nothing to do with being a bigger person. Or he may have feelings toward minorities he doesn’t express to you knowing how you obviously feel.
Closed Thread

Tags
“them”, experiences, including, people, carry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.