Add a light to a ceiling fan

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2022, 05:34 AM
Platinum member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpoorbaugh1 View Post
This has to be brain dead easy, but I'm now 0 for 2 attempts. After I install the light kit on the fan, I test the light before I button up the new install and each time I get around 8 volts on the two leads (Line and neutral) dedicated for the light. The only thing I can figure is there is a module or two in the wiring for the basic fan that is dividing voltage between fan speeds and the light, and a lightening strike took out the light side of the module. Fan works perfectly-the two light leads are clearly marked-I can't believe there is any wiring adaption needed to have voltage go to the light kit....has anyone else encountered difficulty installing a light kit on an existing ceiling fan?? Am I missing something??
Welcome to TOTV...
Old 04-16-2022, 06:06 AM

And for the same reasons. Dark is still dark.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:15 AM

I wrote this up in response to somebody else’s inquiry a few months back. Maybe this will help actually is very simple

The kichler fans are actually an Excellent quality fan and you can buy a universal LED light kit at Home Depot that plugs into the fixture. I just installed light kits on all the fans in my mothers new house and I also wired it so one wall switch turns the fan on and the other wall switch turns the light on the fan by simply rewiring and disabling the switch that turns on the useless wall outlet for a lamp. easy Peezy takes about 15 minutes per light completely installed. At the wall switch Just remove the red wire from switch That controls the wall outlet and then unbundle the red wire that’s in the group of black wires and move that red wire to the existing switch—- super easy.

Quote:
This has to be brain dead easy, but I'm now 0 for 2 attempts. After I install the light kit on the fan, I test the light before I button up the new install and each time I get around 8 volts on the two leads (Line and neutral) dedicated for the light. The only thing I can figure is there is a module or two in the wiring for the basic fan that is dividing voltage between fan speeds and the light, and a lightening strike took out the light side of the module. Fan works perfectly-the two light leads are clearly marked-I can't believe there is any wiring adaption needed to have voltage go to the light kit....has anyone else encountered difficulty installing a light kit on an existing ceiling fan?? Am I missing something??
Old 04-16-2022, 06:46 AM
Send a message via ICQ to gemini5001 Send a message via AIM to gemini5001

Manny The Handyman LLC
352-530-2583 home/office
610-570-5303 cell
Old 04-16-2022, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
A light centrally located can be very effective and all that is needed. Further it has a wall switch. Where as the table lamp may not
There are lots of simple options to control lamps remotely.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Slightly off topic, but I never understood why someone would want to put a light on a ceiling fan. It reminds me of the ceiling lights they used to put in the middle of every room back in the fifties. Light from a table lamp is so much more pleasing and less harsh on the eyes than a ceiling light.
But they don’t provide enough for doing anything other than reading in bed.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:18 AM

Call Larry Days. I’ve used him for various projects. He gets it right the first time. 508-561-8020.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but I never understood why someone would want to put a light on a ceiling fan. It reminds me of the ceiling lights they used to put in the middle of every room back in the fifties. Light from a table lamp is so much more pleasing and less harsh on the eyes than a ceiling light.
And I do not see why you would put up a fan and not add the light. It is there when and if you need some extra light in the room. Maybe you only use it a few times a year but you have the option.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:25 AM

I bought 3 Progress Lighting light kits from Amazon for my home in Hawkins. They were about $90 each but about $70 cheaper than the Kichler light kits. The connectors on the light kit plugged into the connectors on the fan and took about 15 minutes to install.

I do like the extra light in the bedrooms when needed.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Gee IDK! Maybe fan is in bedroom. Ceiling light is very helpful there.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:05 AM
Default Extra Part

Quote:
My sister wants to remove the lights from her ceiling fan but does not have the cover. Since you won’t be needing it, may she have it? What brand fan is yours?
Old 04-16-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I had lights installed in my livingroom and office/bedroom. Love them. Wish I had done it to other guest bedroom!
Old 04-16-2022, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We added light kits to 4 fans last year. Followed the directions on the box. Did not check the voltage as we just put a lightbulb in and if it works we are good. Sometimes just because something is marked does not mean it is correct.
Old 04-16-2022, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We added light kits to 4 fans last year. Followed the directions on the box. Did not check the voltage as we just put a lightbulb in and if it works we are good. Sometimes just because something is marked does not mean it is correct.
Very true but if the lightbulb blows up and all your lights go out it could ruin your day.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
There are lots of simple options to control lamps remotely.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
light, fan, kit, leads, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.