American Flag Protocol

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum member
Default American Flag Protocol

I've always flown the flag on holidays ( 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc) and I want to do that in The Villages. I need some advice on flag protocol. My understanding is that the flag flown outside is to be flown on the left side of the front door as you face the house, or the right side of the front door as you come out of the front door. Do most of you in TV who fly the flag have a flag holder installed on the stucco or siding? I have stucco, so will this be a problem? I have a recessed entry with a golf cart bay and garage to the side of my home where the flag is to fly. Do most people install a holder immediately to the left of the front door as you face it, beside the golf cart bay, or further to the left on either side of the garage door? This might seem trivial, but I want to do it right. Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I've always flown the flag on holidays ( 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc) and I want to do that in The Villages. I need some advice on flag protocol. My understanding is that the flag flown outside is to be flown on the left side of the front door as you face the house, or the right side of the front door as you come out of the front door. Do most of you in TV who fly the flag have a flag holder installed on the stucco or siding? I have stucco, so will this be a problem? I have a recessed entry with a golf cart bay and garage to the side of my home where the flag is to fly. Do most people install a holder immediately to the left of the front door as you face it, beside the golf cart bay, or further to the left on either side of the garage door? This might seem trivial, but I want to do it right. Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.
I do not know of any restriction on what side of your front door you may fly the flag. I looked it up on Google to see if I missed anything, but couldn't find anything there either.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Cedwards38:

Flag protocol has bothered me for a number of years.

Whether the flag is to the left or right of the front door was, however, never an issue.

When I moved into my Gardenia model some 8+ years ago, I installed a holder in what I considered the "obvious place." This was on the column to the right of my front door! My major flag still hangs here.

Not long ago, I wondered about the proper way to display a flag "at half staff," mostly being unsure of what "half staff" really means.

A query to the American Legion - an organization that I believed would have the definitive bottom-line protocols - resulted in an uncertain definition of half-staff!

So, I personally show my flag from what happens to be my most convenient spot. And, I have personally decided that, were I to have a flag pole, I would determine that point at which the mid-point of my flag's height is at the mid-point of my flag's pole as the point at which to have the flag displayed at half-staff!

My situation is decidedly complicated by the fact that I do NOT have a proper flag pole!

So, to some extent, all bets are off!

SWR
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Sage

well I feel better about putting up my flag holder thingy wherever it fits on this house!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Here's the rules.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM

When flying the American flag alone, it should be to the left of any entry way, window etc. The field of stars is always displayed to the left. When flying the American flag with another flag, whether it be a national flag, state flag, organization flag etc, the American flag is always to the left. When flying the American flag with more than one other flag, the American flag is in the center, and if possible, higher than the other flags. When hanging an American flag on a building or wall without a supporting pole, it should be stretched out either vertically or horizontally, and the field of stars is always to the left from a normal approach.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Don't forget it got to have light on it after dark
Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I can't recall the name of the website right now but it list all protocals and proper ways to display the flag. I had to look it up a while back to know how long to fly our flag at half staff following the navy shipyard shooting. I'll look it up in the morning.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpflier View Post
When flying the American flag alone, it should be to the left of any entry way, window etc. The field of stars is always displayed to the left. When flying the American flag with another flag, whether it be a national flag, state flag, organization flag etc, the American flag is always to the left. When flying the American flag with more than one other flag, the American flag is in the center, and if possible, higher than the other flags. When hanging an American flag on a building or wall without a supporting pole, it should be stretched out either vertically or horizontally, and the field of stars is always to the left from a normal approach.
So, just to clarify, if I am standing on the street looking at the front of my home, the wall mounted flagpole should be to the left of my front door? Or is the consensus that it doesn't matter about which side of the door it is displayed?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I find all of your interest and helpful suggestions touching and beautiful and wonderfully respectful and proudly patriotic.

I love this place and it's people.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Default Half staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Cedwards38:

Flag protocol has bothered me for a number of years.

Whether the flag is to the left or right of the front door was, however, never an issue.

When I moved into my Gardenia model some 8+ years ago, I installed a holder in what I considered the "obvious place." This was on the column to the right of my front door! My major flag still hangs here.

Not long ago, I wondered about the proper way to display a flag "at half staff," mostly being unsure of what "half staff" really means.

A query to the American Legion - an organization that I believed would have the definitive bottom-line protocols - resulted in an uncertain definition of half-staff!

So, I personally show my flag from what happens to be my most convenient spot. And, I have personally decided that, were I to have a flag pole, I would determine that point at which the mid-point of my flag's height is at the mid-point of my flag's pole as the point at which to have the flag displayed at half-staff!

My situation is decidedly complicated by the fact that I do NOT have a proper flag pole!

So, to some extent, all bets are off!

SWR
Half staff means that the flag is raised to the top of the mast than half way back down, thus meaning that the flag is flown higher than normal for "Honor".
Old 12-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Gold member

On 911, I had to run out of the US Capitol because they they thought the 4th plane was heading there. When I drove home hours later, the Pentagon was still smouldering as I drove by.

When I got to my condo I asked one of my neighbors what was the proper protocal to hang my American flag on my 10th floor balcony railing. I was worried because I knew I didn't have any way to have a light on the flag at night. My neighbor was retired from the Army and a long-time Pentagon civilian worker. I will never forget his replly, "I don't think it matters today -- just so you fly it!" It may not have been the proper protocal, but i love seeing the flag.

Now that I'm retired and back in Michigan, I still prouldly fly our flag.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.