any DIY issues putting a Sharkbite fitting on AFTER removing push pull valve?

Old 05-14-2024, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 928 Posts
Default any DIY issues putting a Sharkbite fitting on AFTER removing push pull valve?

I watched several videos taking push pull pos valves off,

and just curious about putting a shark bite valve on in the same place?

Anyone have any favorite style valves for under sink and toilet?
I have 1/4 turn 90 degree fitting valves but also just curious. .

Thanks

I can use a pvc glue and a pvc valve but prefer not to due to pvc pipe length limitations for replacements after gluing.

Thanks!

sports "diy" guy
Old 05-14-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

Thanks

I can use a pvc glue and a pvc valve but prefer not to due to pvc pipe length limitations for replacements after gluing.

Thanks!

sports "diy" guy
First, the piping is CPVC and requires CPVC glue - not the standard PVC glue.

I would not want to put shark bite fittings back on because the push pull is shark bite style and where the teeth grab will be in the same place as before.

I know you said you watched you tube videos on removal but you'll be surprised as to how easy they really are to remove. Hold the pipe behind the valve with one hand, grab the valve with the other hand and while slightly pulling the valve rotate it counterclockwise. It takes about 2 revolutions (maybe 3) and it's off. I didn't sand the pipe or anything before installation of the new valve because the CPVC cleaner and glue slightly melt the pipe. Just be sure to push the new valves completely onto the pipe.

I replaced all of my push pull valves with: Brasscraft 1/2 in. CPVC Inlet x 3/8 in. Comp Outlet 1/4-Turn Angle Ball Valve. No worries about pipe length limitations for replacing because you can unscrew the valve section from the part glued to the CPVC and replace with needed section from a new valve. However, this particular valve has a metal ball, metal stem and metal handle so you probably will never need to replace.

Note that the push pull valves for the toilets and the refrigerator have permanently connected hoses so you'll need new screw on hoses for those. I bought the stainless braided hoses for those. Just get the length that you need.

If you are doing all of them in the house, don't forget the utility sink (2), refrigerator (1) and dishwasher (1).

Last edited by metoo21; 05-14-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,993 Times in 767 Posts

Just make sure pipe is clean and pipe cut end with no burrs. I've used them on copper, pex and cpvc with no issues.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:

Thanks

Thanks!

sports "diy" guy
I had NO problems replacing my Accorn push pull valve with shark bite. Shark bites can easily be removed with removal tool.

Hardest part twisting the accorn push/pull valves off. Scotch bright the tube clean up and smooth out surface so o-ring will seal good. Plenty of Utube videos. Plumbers use them cause the are easy and don’t leak and easy to remove.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,248 Times in 2,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Just make sure pipe is clean and pipe cut end with no burrs. I've used them on copper, pex and cpvc with no issues.
Same here, they are a great product. Between shark bites and a good pex crimping tool, I haven’t had to sweat copper fittings in a very long time.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:13 PM

My handiman put in sharkbite valves in years ago. Then a real plumber had to remove them all because he said they sometimes fail.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
My handiman put in sharkbite valves in years ago. Then a real plumber had to remove them all because he said they sometimes fail.
Hmmm, I updated the plumbing on our family lake house almost 20 years ago and used several shark bites and haven’t had a single failure. I think your plumber was fishing for ways to charge you more $$$$.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:43 AM

I put in a Sharkbite above my hot water heater to run a hot water line to my home humidifier. I watched a video and thought this is too easy, what could go wrong. That line of thinking sometimes comes back to haunt me, especially with plumbing. I consulted several people I know, including a plumber and they assured me they work. This is not a “hack” which was also a concern.

Not sure in your specific case. When it comes to plumbing, if I have doubt, or lack of clear guidance I have learned to put my pride away and call a plumber. Plumbing mistakes can cost big $$$$
Old 05-15-2024, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

I replaced all of mine throughout the house with sharkbite 6 years ago. No issues to report. The only one I didn't do is for the refrigerator - that one is a weird looking connection. Couldn't remove it like the others.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I replaced all of mine throughout the house with sharkbite 6 years ago. No issues to report. The only one I didn't do is for the refrigerator - that one is a weird looking connection. Couldn't remove it like the others.
Yup! not enough pipe to work with to remove and install the ice maker line. POS building shortcut. . That a plumber will do.

So the builders did leave enough cpvc (not pvc for the spelling/accuracy types) in case i did get a flowtite valve to come off with lots of gouges, and had to cut one @ 3/8 shorter to get a good seal. And of course one flowtite is not coming off easily or at all. . . .

The ones I have connected do not leak so far, but now have enough knowledge and maybe enough experience to fix whatever does leak

4 down, 7/8 more to go

FYI, the parts alone for valves and new lines is between $200 and $300, depending upon lengths, so a plumber doing the whole house for +/- $700 is not unreasonable. . .
Old 05-15-2024, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Can they fail? of course, all man made devices work until they don't.

What's the probability that they will fail?

very low, low enough where most DIYers and some professionals are using them successfully, just like PEX is replacing copper piping very successfully. .

its all about the probabilities, not the possibilities. .
Old 05-15-2024, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Can they fail? of course, all man made devices work until they don't.

What's the probability that they will fail?

very low, low enough where most DIYers and some professionals are using them successfully, just like PEX is replacing copper piping very successfully. .

its all about the probabilities, not the possibilities. .
Yup, anything can fail. If you are home you’re going to notice it before it causes any significant damage. If away then it’s another story all together. That’s why we turn off the water to our house when we’re away. Our neighbor had one of those cheap push/pull toilet feed valves fail while they were away and it caused many thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Pex is great, way better than copper and way less expensive. Why it isn’t used in new construction in the Villages is beyond me? It is inexpensive, can be gradually bent, is extremely durable, very easy to cut and work with, and super easy to crimp fittings onto. And the best part about pex is that, unlike copper, it can expand and contract so it won’t easily spring a leak if it freezes. Plus you don’t have to worry about getting lead in your drinking water from sweeting fixings. The only real need for copper anymore is for a transition area when near something very hot like a hot water heater.

It’s really a shame that folks with newly built homes in the Villages have to redo cheap new construction plumbing.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
The real plumber may have been pulling your leg to up charge. Some times copper and clued PVC fails also.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-21-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Yup, anything can fail. If you are home you’re going to notice it before it causes any significant damage. If away then it’s another story all together. That’s why we turn off the water to our house when we’re away. Our neighbor had one of those cheap push/pull toilet feed valves fail while they were away and it caused many thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Pex is great, way better than copper and way less expensive. Why it isn’t used in new construction in the Villages is beyond me? It is inexpensive, can be gradually bent, is extremely durable, very easy to cut and work with, and super easy to crimp fittings onto. And the best part about pex is that, unlike copper, it can expand and contract so it won’t easily spring a leak if it freezes. Plus you don’t have to worry about getting lead in your drinking water from sweeting fixings. The only real need for copper anymore is for a transition area when near something very hot like a hot water heater.

It’s really a shame that folks with newly built homes in the Villages have to redo cheap new construction plumbing.
PEX?
Pex pipes are more susceptible to damage from exposure to UV rays, which can cause them to deteriorate over time if they're used for outdoor applications. Moreover, Pex pipes can react with certain chemicals in the water, potentially leading to leaching of harmful substances into the water supply.

“California?
The PEX EIR found that methyl tertiary-butyl ether (MTBE) and tert-Butyl alcohol can leach from PEX in amounts that exceed taste, odor and health guidelines set by the State of California for drinking water.Dec 1, 2018”

“‘I had red hose’s which I think was better? I seen blue ones but don’t know difference in technology? ‘“

Not my words google has plenty of information.

I had pex in okieland agree it easy to work with if got good set of crimping tools which not cheap, still got my set. But, it also deteriorated, corroded, and drips/leaked over time with well water. Like everything else fails over time. This is just me but I wouldn’t want pex in closed wall just like I wouldn’t want shark bite in closed wall.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:54 AM

The Red and Blue pex are for identification convience. The Red is intended for the Hot water runs, the Blue for Cold water runs. No technology difference.
The alternative "cloudy" colored pex is a different chemistry and uses different connection methodology.
Google is your buddy, take a look for all the details.

Tags
valve, pvc, push, pull, diy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.