Any experience with using ceramic auto finish?

Old 02-26-2024, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Any experience with using ceramic auto finish?

Yes, I have googled the topic, I'm looking for local observations.
No, I don't want to talk about dog-poop, zombies, or north vs. south Villages.

I have a 20 year old car and for the last 10 years, the Florida sun has beat the heck out of it sitting in the driveway, so much so that the paint has deteriorated.
I don't have any shade available, I don't want to use a cover.

Soon enough, I'll be moving that car and replacing it with my newer 10 year old car when I buy a new one. The 10 year old car is in great shape and I'll like to do better preserving the finish. A DIY ceramic auto finish seems reasonable. So, what do you thing?

1) Brands used , with pro and con.
2) Results, short term and long term?

Thanks, ~peace~
Old 02-26-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I just started using McGuire's around 4-5 months ago, and I have noticed that the pollen seems to not stick as much, and the shine seems to last longer than the previous hand waxing I was doing.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Had my car here in UK done twice by professional installer.
The car is 14 years odd and looks pristine.
First time lasted nearly 5 years, now into second year with latest application.
I live in a rural area, with lots of winter mud and crap on the car.
I think it is great protection, and recommend it.
Latest coating was about $850 to have it done, which was a big cost rise from first coating, but have no idea of cost in US.
There are DIY kits, but I'm just lazy!

Last edited by Two Bills; 02-27-2024 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Cost $850. not $550.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

How often do you wash your car?

You probably read proper surface prep and paint correction is essential for a good ceramic coat. Best done by a professional. This takes time/$$$.

I've had good luck using a spray wax (Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax) once a month after washing the car. Spray on before drying the car.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
How often do you wash your car?

You probably read proper surface prep and paint correction is essential for a good ceramic coat. Best done by a professional. This takes time/$$$.

I've had good luck using a spray wax (Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax) once a month after washing the car. Spray on before drying the car.
It is a lot of work, and essential for a perfect finish.
Degreasing, clay bar whole car etc.
Does something with headlights and windows that remove imperfection from glass
My man takes two days.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My man takes two days.
Right on, the key is to get the surface perfect before application, that means dewaxing, washing, stripping of topcoat, clar bar then a final prep step. Difficult to do without a power buffer. The coating goes on in 10 minutes, the prep work can take 2 days.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My man takes two days.
Right on, the key is to get the surface perfect before application, that means dewaxing washing, stripping of topcoat, clar bar then a final prep step. Difficult to do without a power buffer. The coating goes on in 10 minutes, the prep work can take 2 days.

Its actually kind of fun to do, if you have the time.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I just started using McGuire's around 4-5 months ago, and I have noticed that the pollen seems to not stick as much, and the shine seems to last longer than the previous hand waxing I was doing.
Use that brand car wash, black car shines like new .
Old 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Default Ceramic auto products

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Yes, I have googled the topic, I'm looking for local observations.
No, I don't want to talk about dog-poop, zombies, or north vs. south Villages.

I have a 20 year old car and for the last 10 years, the Florida sun has beat the heck out of it sitting in the driveway, so much so that the paint has deteriorated.

Soon enough, I'll be moving that car and replacing it with my newer 10 year old car when I buy a new one. The 10 year old car is in great shape and I'll like to do better preserving the finish. A DIY ceramic auto finish seems reasonable. So, what do you thing?

1) Brands used , with pro and con.
2) Results, short term and long term?

Thanks, ~peace~
I have been very impressed with Suds Lab ceramic products .They sell a complete line of cleaners and protectors available from Walmart. I have had very good results with little effort required. SudsLab
Old 02-27-2024, 04:27 AM

I bought a buffer from Griots Garage, some buffer pads and their "Complete Compound". I bought the buffer because I had a car, pickup and a 41' trailer to do. This compound is used to strip everything from the finish and to buff out minor scratches. I found that it works really great. At that time, I Googled "best ceramic car wax" and came up with the "Chemical Guys" Hydroslick as one of the best (it was $40 for 16 oz at Walmart). It really works well, but the Florida sun does indeed limit the life of it. If you Google ceramic waxes now, you will get a new list as companies are continually coming up with better (higher SiO2) formulas. Read instructions on each product and pick the one that seems easiest to put on and remove.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post

~

The finish of a 20 year old vehicle, left outside in the Florida sun for 10 years, isn't likely to be "renewed" by a ceramic treatment.

The life expectancy of a 2 stage paint process (which all cars have these days), is somewhere between 10-15 years. An older vehicle with 1 stage paint, actually has more "color" on the vehicle and can sometimes be brought back, with proper technique.

As others have mentioned, the prep is a LOT of work and the ceramic can only protect what's underneath it ... not make what's underneath it, significantly better or newer.

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-27-2024 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

If the clear coat is "flakeing" sand and repaint if the paint is oxidized compound buffing to restore the finish. Follow up with good wax or ceramic coating. I used Graphene ceramic spray after claying the paint and buffing with a polishing compound then wiped entire car in alcohol to remove compound residue. hand app;ied the ceramic per instruction, result outstanding shine and duability.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:19 AM
Default I use it.

I have a 2019 RAM 2500 black in color. I had it done from new professionally and again a few months ago. I wouldn't attempt to do it myself even if I were younger. The truck is outside all the time. I think it looks showroom new and I get unsolicited comments all the time, telling me how good it looks. They are almost always surprised to learn that it is 5 years old. Given the size of my vehicle, it isn't cheap, but it will last and most likely even longer than 5 years with the better products professionally applied. Remember that you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

CERAKOTE® Rapid Ceramic Paint Sealant (12 oz.) – Now 50% More With a Premium Sprayer! - Maximum Gloss & Shine – Extremely Hydrophobic – Unmatched Slickness - Pro Results. See it on Amazon. BUT I would use a clay mitt first and it's recommended to use an iron remover also. Many Youtube videos on this subject.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:21 AM

My auto came with the coating already applied. After every wash it looks like it was just waxed.

Tags
car, year, finish, ceramic, auto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.