Any experience with using ceramic auto finish?

Old 02-27-2024, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Yes, I have googled the topic, I'm looking for local observations.
No, I don't want to talk about dog-poop, zombies, or north vs. south Villages.

I have a 20 year old car and for the last 10 years, the Florida sun has beat the heck out of it sitting in the driveway, so much so that the paint has deteriorated.
I don't have any shade available, I don't want to use a cover.

Soon enough, I'll be moving that car and replacing it with my newer 10 year old car when I buy a new one. The 10 year old car is in great shape and I'll like to do better preserving the finish. A DIY ceramic auto finish seems reasonable. So, what do you thing?

1) Brands used , with pro and con.
2) Results, short term and long term?

Thanks, ~peace~
Not sure it will be good on already old paint. I had mine done when car was brand new and it looked like new 10 years later when I sold the car. I also never waxed it and finish was shiny and smooth as glass.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The finish of a 20 year old vehicle, left outside in the Florida sun for 10 years, isn't likely to be "renewed" by a ceramic treatment.
I truly appreciate the feedback and tips.
To clarify, I'm not doing the 20 year old car, I'll pass that along to one of my kids for a 2nd vehicle. I'm planning to do the 10 year old car that's been kept in the garage.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:49 AM

Back in the colder climate I did my car every six months with Turtle Wax Hybrid. Like others said I had initially given it a good wash/degrease and clay bar to get the surface clean. The top surfaces seemed to need to clay bar, sides no big deal. Subsequent treatments I didn't bother with the clay bar. It is pretty easy to apply. It didn't discolor any black vinyl trim. I used Cerakote on cloudy headlights and that lasted 2 years.

There is a large variety of ceramic coat products. Last I checked there was no objective way to compare strength or concentration of them. The Turtle wax product is cheap and easy. Other products require more detailed application and I think the car needs to sit for a day inside while it cures. Cerakote (at amazon) has a new paint finish product I wouldn't mind trying. Their headlight and vinyl trim products worked wonders on our cars and are reasonably priced.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

I use Mothers ceramic wash and wax now and used Griots before this. Easy to wash the grime off when I decide to wash my car and I don’t need to use my wipers when others have to.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I just started using McGuire's around 4-5 months ago, and I have noticed that the pollen seems to not stick as much, and the shine seems to last longer than the previous hand waxing I was doing.
Speaking of pollen..... it doesn't really stick to the sides of my SUV, but the hood gets covered and has pitted because of it. (2009 car) I wonder how I can make it look silky again like the rest of the vehicle. Maybe compound the hood?
Old 02-27-2024, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

I have a guy who waxes my cars...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 02-27-2024, 08:42 AM

I haven't found a great difference in the "premium-ish" consumer grade products. One option is to wash, clay bar, and hit it with a combo produce that will polish and wax in one step such as this...

Ceramic Car Wax & Polish | Liquid Wax & Polish | Hybrid Solutions

It'll take a dual action polisher to give it the best chance but it might make it look great. And...if it doesn't then you could call in a professional and let them take a crack at it.

Once it looks good you can keep it good with nice, thick, fluffy microfiber towels and a waterless wash-and-wax product like this

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate 16 oz. - Skys The Limit Car Care

(mix it in a spray bottle/bug sprayer like this and it goes on fast..something like this Amazon.com)

And then a few spritzes with your ceramic detailer to keep the coating in good shape...something like this (but lots of options)

Ceramic Wax 3-in-1 Detailer | Spray Wax & Detailer | Hybrid Solutions

Congrats on your new hobby LOL

Joe
Old 02-27-2024, 09:43 AM

If you are going to keep the car for several years and it is going to be outside a lot then I recommend getting a professional ceramic coating done. Get an estimate in Wildwood at “On the Spot” detailing.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:43 AM
Default CeramicPro and FeynLab

Quote:

Thanks, ~peace~
I had CeramicPro applied to my previous car and Feynlabs on my current car - both professionally applied and both when new.

Feynlabs is holding up much better and resists water spots better. Still get spots on both tho. CeramicPro needed to be reapplied after two years. Feynlabs is more expensive.

Love the hydrophobic coatings - so easy to wash and can dry with a blower to avoid paint swirls.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:11 AM
Default TEC582 at Amazon

Quote:

I have a 20 year old car and for the last 10 years, the Florida sun has beat the heck out of it sitting in the driveway, so much so that the paint has deteriorated.

Soon enough, I'll be moving that car and replacing it with my newer 10 year old car when I buy a new one. The 10 year old car is in great shape and I'll like to do better preserving the finish. A DIY ceramic auto finish seems reasonable. So, what do you thing?

Thanks, ~peace~
Try this stuff

Amazon.com

I just got my second gallon. A little goes a long way. Provides a super slick finish and keeps the paint looking great. I usually have a detailer give the truck a good wash and wax then apply two coats of this stuff. Makes bug splatters easier to clean off too. Brake dust cleans off chrome wheels with ease.
We even use it on our shower glass enclosure and mirrors making them easier to clean streak free.
A professional ceramic coating is very expensive if done properly. My detailer actually advised against it for a daily driver vehicle.
Good luck.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:55 AM
Default ceramic

Quote:

Thanks, ~peace~
Used Carpro Cquartz Ceramic on Amazon and it is still amazing after two years. And as orders have noted the prep is critical. Applied in the Garage.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:26 PM
Default Ceramic Coatings

I had a Ceramic coating put on by Total Recon in Leesburg, 352-535-0299.
They a true professional shop and do it correctly. Not done in the street or garage, but an air conditioned shop with lifts and high powered lights. Fairly priced
Mike Roth

Quote:

Thanks, ~peace~
Old 02-27-2024, 03:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

There would never be a vehicle in my life that I would consider owning, motorcycle, boat, car/truck, golfcart, or airplane etc.
that I would let parked outside and let the Florida heat destroy the finish and tires.

If it has any value what-so-ever, It would have to be garaged, otherwise I would feel it is would a bad investment
and a eye soar to the neighbors.

But that's just me.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
If it has any value what-so-ever, It would have to be garaged, otherwise I would feel it is would a bad investment
and a eye soar to the neighbors. But that's just me.
Thanks for sharing, Michael.
Side notes: you're off topic and the word is spelled "sore".
Old 02-27-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks, ~peace~
I’ve used Tim’s Pro Auto Spa 352-277-4721 for our MINI Coopers.

Tags
car, year, finish, ceramic, auto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.