ARC Fault Type Breaker

Old 03-20-2024, 07:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts
Default ARC Fault Type Breaker

First off, I'm basically an idiot when it comes to electricity. I shouldn't be allowed to do so much as touch an electrical switch ...

So last week, for a reason I forget, I turn off a few breakers. 2 were Arc Fault Breakers. I pushed the "test button" and one of them didn't seem to do anything.

When I was done doing whatever I was doing, I switched all the breakers back on and all seemed to be ok.

I noticed tonight, that my Guest Room, Guest Bathroom and Lanai lights aren't working. The ARC Fault breaker is in the "ON" position. It is not tripped into the OFF position. Pushing the "test" button doesn't do anything.

... but I still don't have lights in those 2 rooms. Could there be a GFI somewhere hidden in those rooms that might need to be reset?

Suggestions?
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
First off, I'm basically an idiot when it comes to electricity. I shouldn't be allowed to do so much as touch an electrical switch ...

So last week, for a reason I forget, I turn off a few breakers. 2 were Arc Fault Breakers. I pushed the "test button" and one of them didn't seem to do anything.

When I was done doing whatever I was doing, I switched all the breakers back on and all seemed to be ok.

I noticed tonight, that my Guest Room, Guest Bathroom and Lanai lights aren't working. The ARC Fault breaker is in the "ON" position. It is not tripped into the OFF position. Pushing the "test" button doesn't do anything.

... but I still don't have lights in those 2 rooms. Could there be a GFI somewhere hidden in those rooms that might need to be reset?

Suggestions?
First, you need to turn circuit breakers to the full OFF position before turning them back ON. I am guessing the one breaker actually tripped (was this the one you pushed the test button?), you did not notice it, and just pushed it on which will NOT turn on the breaker.

Try this, and if it does not work, send me a PM and I can stop by and take a look.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
First, you need to turn circuit breakers to the full OFF position before turning them back ON. I am guessing the one breaker actually tripped (was this the one you pushed the test button?), you did not notice it, and just pushed it on which will NOT turn on the breaker.

Try this, and if it does not work, send me a PM and I can stop by and take a look.
I'm glad I prefaced everything, but admitting I'm an idiot with electricity. I did know you have to complete shut off the breaker before turning it back on ... but I apparently didn't completely shut it off, the 113 times I tried.

It is now working fine. Thank you !!!!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I'm glad I prefaced everything, but admitting I'm an idiot with electricity. I did know you have to complete shut off the breaker before turning it back on ... but I apparently didn't completely shut it off, the 113 times I tried.

It is now working fine. Thank you !!!!
My breakers have to have flip to off them quick hard snap to on. Mine seems like it I don’t flip it hard enough for fast enough it won’t reset.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:03 AM

For reference, a breaker that trips also needs to be flipped fully off. It's also recommended to wait a minute before trying to turn it back on. Necessary for some breaker designs, but not all.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My breakers have to have flip to off them quick hard snap to on. Mine seems like it I don’t flip it hard enough for fast enough it won’t reset.
Exactly what happened. Thanks
Old 03-22-2024, 08:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Bathrooms where there’s water have a reset button on one of the electrical plants push the reset, & your lights will come back on!
Old 03-22-2024, 09:53 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hello Brian! It appears you might have resolved your issue already but I wanted to share I got a chuckle from the start of your post
Two things I take no chances with personally - Electrical and Plumbing. Luckily I know a few electrical guys here and I am the daughter of a licensed plumber who has spent countless hours on job sites with him growing up LOL.

Test buttons on breakers are designed to trip the circuit and test its functionality. You never have to press the test button for resetting Just push breaker OFF and back on if tripped or unsure if it is tripped. Never reset the main breaker.

Happy Friday!
- Casandra with Pike's Electric

(352)748-6251

Tags
arc, breakers, fault, lights, button

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.