Fridge question

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Sage
Default Fridge question

Fridge question. Do the GE refrigerators installed about six years ago have a water filter that needs to be changed?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Most do. Mine are located in the back near the top on the right side. This is on the double door side by side model. Filters are available at Ace Hardware.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Most do. Mine are located in the back near the top on the right side. This is on the double door side by side model. Filters are available at Ace Hardware.
We have a GE side-by-side fridge about five years old that we inherited when we purchased a resale. Water and icecubes in the door. We've starting getting little black flecks in the water from the fridge. That can't be good.

12ridehd, I've looked in the back, and there is nothing there at all, just all flat in the back.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Dancing Thyme

Bare, the filters are located inside the righthand side of the refrig usually at the very top. My refrig has a light next to the water/ice machine in the door, that came on when the filter needed to be replaced. And like, l2, I bought my filter at Ace and replaced it myself (amazing what I'm learning to do these days...)

Good luck.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM

If you have black flecks in the ice cubes, they're probably coming from the coating on the icemaker mold. Another possibility is that they are coming from the carbon filter itself, if you have one. In either case, they aren't likely to hurt you. But, if you do have a filter, it's time to change it after 6 years!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Sorry Barefoot my instructions were not very clear. When I said in the back, I should have said inside the refrigerator side in the back at the top. So open the refrigerator door and look in the back right side corner near the top. After you buy a new filter based on your model, make sure you pull the unit out and turn off the water before replacing the filter just to be safe. The water turn off is a small thumb valve in the water line, usually close to the wall, but that would depend on the installer. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

If the prior owner removed the filter there may be a blue plug in its place. Some people feel no need to filter the water and put the plug that comes with the refrig when new.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Gold member

http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10010191.htm
Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, very much appreciated. I have an older model so I don't have an indicator light.

By using the link above provided by Batman, I was able to figure out the Serial number and access the User Manual which was very helpful!

As always, TOTV is an amazing resource of information. Thanks all!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

Find the model number of the GE refrigerator, either on the door jamb or in the rear of the fridge. Enter it into Google or Bing and you will be presented with several links to maintenance manuals.

The correct maintenance manual will not only show you the location, but provide you with the model number of the filter.

You can then, key this model number in either Google or Bing and find the lowest price.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Default GE Sucks

I know of no filter in my double door but there have been enough service calls so I should know if one has been replaced. Jacl Welsh retired and so did GE quality.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.