Gargage door windows

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned
Default Gargage door windows

Anybody know where I can buy the window kits used for the garage doors. I need 11 windows.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag ****** View Post
Anybody know where I can buy the window kits used for the garage doors. I need 11 windows.
I had found them online before I used that cat to install mine. It was a kit.

try this link out..

http://www.garaga.com/garage-window-...insert_88.aspx

I know Romac does them also, but when I had mine done Romac was like 200.00 higher than I got them done for.

Money out
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
I had found them online before I used that cat to install mine. It was a kit.

try this link out..

http://www.garaga.com/garage-window-...insert_88.aspx

I know Romac does them also, but when I had mine done Romac was like 200.00 higher than I got them done for.
Gmoney, I checked out the web site and contacted the mfg. They don't have dealers in Florida. They said Maryland was as far south as they go. Did you buy window kits down here or from someone up north?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Sage
Default windows

Hey rag (if i can call you by your first name). The existing garage door are engineered to stand up to 110mph winds. Make sure anything you install will meet or exceed that standard, or in the event of a hurricane, you may have an insurance issue.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Hey rag (if i can call you by your first name). The existing garage door are engineered to stand up to 110mph winds. Make sure anything you install will meet or exceed that standard, or in the event of a hurricane, you may have an insurance issue.
Great Post
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
WoW !!! Good Point, never thought of that !!!!

fumar
Old 05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Banned
Default Insurance could be

an issue. But I assume the builder is using approved windows in the garage doos they are installing that have windows. The kits that I have seen installed after the fact seem to be exactly the same thing. Maybe they are not.
I did ask Home Depot about the window kits and they claim they do not sell window kits because they are afraid they will be installed improperly or in a different door than designed.
Many doors are retrofitted and Romac has the kits. I called romac and they are about 29.00 each window if I install. If they install it's about $47.00. I just wanted to get another price.
I did specifically ask Romac if the owner installed windows would have any insurance issues and they said it was not a problem.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage
Default windows

Not to belabor the issue, the question to ask is if they will comply with the latest SBCCI building code (adopted statewide by florida some years ago)
Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not to belabor the issue, the question to ask is if they will comply with the latest SBCCI building code (adopted statewide by florida some years ago)
According to Romac they meet code. I have to believe that the hundreds of garage doors with windows that are installed here meet code. Romac will retrofit windows as well as provide them for new construction. I can't imagine that they would provide a service that would vilolate code.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Default windows

You can buy the windows at J. B. Matthews in Apokpa. They will have all you need frames glass and inserts. When you call ask for James`
Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned
Default Making Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge View Post
You can buy the windows at J. B. Matthews in Apokpa. They will have all you need frames glass and inserts. When you call ask for James`
Thanks DRD.
I contacted James at J.B. Mathews and got a very good price on the window kits. Half of Ro-Mack. Just to satisfy my own curiosity I drove to Mathew's place in Apokpa. They have the entire replacement panel with the windows factory cut and installed (even that replacement panel complete with factory installed windows was cheaper than Ro-Mac window kits only). I wanted to see how they did the cut out to see if there was some sort of special reinforcing in the opening. James let me take one of the factory windows out and as I thought the cut out is just a straight cut, no rolled edge or any other sort of reinforcement. They were very smooth cuts done with a laser or plasma cutter but just raw edge. I intent to use a galvanizing paint on the edge to prevent the possibility of edge rust. I was concerned that the openings raw cut openings might be a storm damage/code issue but it is not.

Now I am trying to determine the best way to cut the panels. I was thinking of using my dremel with a cutting wheel. But they will wear fast. Anybody ever do this. If you did how did you cut the holes. The panels are very thin 24ga. I think.

Thanks all
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Default garage door windows

Rag ******
They make a tool called a nibbler ,sheet metal companies have them. They sell the tool at Lowes kind of pricy to do 1 garage door. You might be able to rent from Home depot or some other rental co. I used to in stall them ,very easy to do. You can also use a small grinder with a very thin blade. also you can rent a grinder at HD. easiest way would be to buy the panel wityh windows already installed from James. They do garage doors in the villages, you might be able to arrange some sort of delivery deal with James
drd
Old 06-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

Thanks DRD,

I have a Hitach 4" angle grinder but a standard grinding wheel. I might look around for a thin blade. What kind of blade would it be that would be thin? The standard wheel would be big time overkill.

You are right about Mathews. I have two doors a 16" and a 6' and it would take 11 window kits. The cost per window only is $15 x 11 = $165.00. I can buy the door panels from Mathews complete with windows for $260.00 they will install the panels for $95.00. Basically I can save $190.00 if I install my own.

I may just do that and have Mathews install the panels with windows.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Red face garage door windows

I installed mine and used a drill and a scroll saw with a fine tooth blade. just measure the frame out in each slot on the door, drill a hole in each corner then cut it out with the scroll saw. it is best to remove the panel from the door and lay it out on saw horses. it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to complete the job on my door. my buddy liked mine so well that we done his also. you might want to consider painting the window frames before installing them. it is easy, just take your time and fit the first one to insure a proper fit.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Rag ******
You can buy a thin blade at Home Depot.The best way is to undo the top hinge roller on each sidee and let the door fold down, make a template for the frame and mark each opening and then outline the opening with blue painters tape after cutting is done remove the tape and save it then put the window frames in and use the tape to secure the frame. Roll the door up a few feet so the panel hang down and install the glass. tip... leave the rod that hooks to the opener until last to unhook first to hookup after glass is installed. pane cannot fall down hit u on head. Window frames do not need to be painted unless your door is painted and u want to match. If you have questions call me and I will come to your house and explain it to you. You can call me at 352.205.7623. I am a village resident

drd

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.