A/C condensation drain clean out

A/C condensation drain clean out

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Just be sure the water hose adapter push-on fitting does not back out of the Y when the water pressure is applied .... it could end up chasing you!

Old 09-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Just be sure the water hose adapter push-on fitting does not back out of the Y when the water pressure is applied .... it could end up chasing you!
Fits pretty tight, I make sure I push it down all the way! so far no problems I also have gauge so I know what water pressure is. In my area runs 55 to 60 depending on time of day.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
Dumb question here! How do you know if your ac condensation drain is plugged?
Your drain should have a shut off float that shuts off the A/C if the drain becomes clogged; ours happened while gone for a few days. Poured hot water and vinegar into the drain, let it sit for about 5 minutes then I took my wet/dry shop vac and sucked all the gunk out from the outside end of the drain line.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

I just use the shop-vac method, like the service people do.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Evidently you live in recently new home. On homes that 10 years or more that haven’t been maintained I doubt the shop vac going pull stuff stuck to walls of the pvc pipe? My method takes about 4 mins.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Your drain should have a shut off float that shuts off the A/C if the drain becomes clogged; ours happened while gone for a few days. Poured hot water and vinegar into the drain, let it sit for about 5 minutes then I took my wet/dry shop vac and sucked all the gunk out from the outside end of the drain line.
How old is you’re house? Unless the float in the catch tray inside the unit I see none on my trane xr12.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

I flush mine monthly during the hot summer months. Also, after flushing, I put my shop vac on the pipe outside and suck what is remaining out.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Ac drain line service

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Exactly. Twice a year cleaning with vinegar avoids any problems
This issue has been often debated. I've heard BLEACH. I've heard VINEGAR. I've heard you should use nothing but WATER as bleach or vinegar damages both the AC coils and the dranin pipe.

All home may not be set up the same. Our home is five years old and we have an original extension on the end of the drain line where it connects to the equipment in the garage. Easy and quick. Once a month I pull off the plastic cap on the end of the pipe insert a funnel and pour warm/hot water down the pipe. We catch the flow through water to see how dirty the tube was. The first gallon is obviously dirty-brownish yellow with some small chunks of groth in it. Second gallon is clean-clear water not chunks-DONE. Once a year we have a periodic tune up. The service guy hooks up a wet dry vacuum to the line and pulls the water out.

They send out ONE person. According to a radio show I listen to, it cannot be properly done that way. Once he pulls the watr out all he is doing is sucking air through the line. The right way to do it is to add watter while the vacuum is runngin. So far no problems.

ASIDE-everything has a normal service life. On your AC the capacitor lasts about 4 years. The compressor about 14 years. All of your ACs are mareked with the SEER# a mathematical calculation of efficientcy. Ours is 15. I expect there are still some homes with 7 in the villages. Today 18 is readily available. The numbers and what they mean few understand-including me. I've been told by a claimed expert if I changed from 15 to18-roughly 30% my cooling bill would go down like 10%-HUH?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
Dumb question here! How do you know if your ac condensation drain is plugged?
I had it happen once, it was in 1992 and that's how I found out about maintenance. My A/C was in the laundry room in the basement and on the other side was a family room with carpeting. One day I walked into the FR and the carpet was wet. Traced the water back to the A/C and called a repairment. He told me then about bleach, which I used for many years until switching to vinegar last year. Occasionally I bring the water hose into the garage and flush it out with the fast sprayer. Our A/C unit is not enclosed in the garage and it's very easy to see the pipe.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
All of your ACs are mareked with the SEER# a mathematical calculation of efficientcy. Ours is 15. I expect there are still some homes with 7 in the villages. Today 18 is readily available. The numbers and what they mean few understand-including me. I've been told by a claimed expert if I changed from 15 to18-roughly 30% my cooling bill would go down like 10%-HUH?
Federal law requires a min of SEER of 13 and has since 2006, the standard before that was SEER 10, it was adopted in 1992. There are no SEER 8s here. They died long ago. SEER is how many BTUs per watt.

Your savings would be (in your example) 15/18 -100 HVAC savings percentage X the percentage of electricity for HVAC. Let's use my year to date useage of electricity for HVAC (since you probably don't know yours) 53.5%. Thus 16.6666 % HVAC savings X .535 or 8.916% savings on your electric bill.

Last edited by JTClark45; 10-04-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
drain, hose, cut, turn, valve