Lamp post Light

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Gold member
Default Lamp post Light

Does anyone know how the wiring is run to the outdoor lamp post lignt? I had wiring run today for an invisible fence for our dogs and tonight the light won't come on. The bulb is good.
The light worked last night so I suspect a cut wire. I can see the trench he made for the buried wire so if it's his problem he'll have to come out and fix it.
Thanks,
Bluedog
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Sage

The wire to our lamp post had been cut before we moved in and the electrician sent from warranty first changed the bulb, then the sensor and finally had to dig up the post and found a cut wire. The wire seemed to come from the direction of the garage, but it is only a visual assumption for my particular light. I probably wasn't much help but hopefully, you'll find out what's wrong soon and the repair will be minor.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM

BlueDog: Suspect the line might have been nicked or cut as you suspect. It might also just be one of your GFI circuits. My lamp also quit working shortly after we moved in (ten-year old home). Turns out the lamp post is on the same GFI circuit as the outdoor recepticles and outside porch/garage lights as the GFI recepticle in the garage. Reset the GFI and everything started working again. You might cycle the GFI in your garage first before spending any time or money tracing wires through the ground. Hope this helps.

BTW, you might remember this in the future. One of my outside recepticles shorted out a few months ago and I didn't know it. Only clue I had was the (same) GFI wouldn't reset.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Just wondering what good an invisible fence is when there is a leash law? I don't have dog, and am not "pet savy" but was just wondering....... I'm probably missing something, it's getting late. I just put a flag pole in between my light pole and the edge of the driveway and suspected there might be something there as you may have encountered, but fortunately didn't have a problem.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Default Question

Not to hi-jack this thread, but why does the lamps burn every night??? Can the things be switched off ???

Seems like a waste of electricity to me !!!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Suppose you could modify the pole wiring to include a timer, or have one inserted between the garage circuit and the pole. Not sure I would want to - just put in one of the CFL bulbs (60 watt equivalent is only about 13 watts); mine has been working fine for almost a year now. The pole light is frequently the only illumination of your home address. It would be a bummer to have medic try to find your home at 3:00 in the morning and not find it because it was too dark.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I have had some problems with my light and had to check the wiring several times. I found that the front yard lamp/light is wired to the same circuit that runs my garage door opener motor. I live north of 466 so newer homes may be wired differently.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 AM

My yard light stopped working a few weeks ago. Even when I put in a new power saving light it still didn't work. My neighbor suggested that the sensor had gone out so I went to Ace Hardware and they had dozens of them for sale. I was told this is a fairly common problem. They are not expensive and if you're technologically challenged, like me, any handyman can accomplish the job quickly. It's also a good time to clean those lenses and get rid of the spider webs.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Wire

I have a 1 year old home. The lamp post is fed from the garage door opener outlet on mine. No GFI was installed but had one added. My sensor went bad shortly after we moved in.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
My yard light stopped working a few weeks ago. Even when I put in a new power saving light it still didn't work. My neighbor suggested that the sensor had gone out so I went to Ace Hardware and they had dozens of them for sale. I was told this is a fairly common problem. They are not expensive and if you're technologically challenged, like me, any handyman can accomplish the job quickly. It's also a good time to clean those lenses and get rid of the spider webs.
its a simple wiring job. just 2 wires to replace the sensor. i had the same problem. changed the sensor and presto...works great. after changing it cover it with some tape to test.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Make sure that you shut off ALL the power in your house before you attempt any replacement of any wired in electrical equipment including the lamp post sensor.
If you are positive that you know the correct beaker and positive that the electrician didn't make a mistake and have lots of life insurance you can take a chance.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Because you experienced the problem right after the fence wire was installed it's probably likely that the installer cut the wire. Was the I.F. wire run between the house and lamp post? If yes, they most likely cut it.

Be very careful as the earlier poster said it's hard to tell which breaker the lamp post may be on. Be safe if you do the work and shut down the main breaker at the panel until you figure out which breaker is tied to the lamp post.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdtobe View Post
Make sure that you shut off ALL the power in your house before you attempt any replacement of any wired in electrical equipment including the lamp post sensor.
If you are positive that you know the correct beaker and positive that the electrician didn't make a mistake and have lots of life insurance you can take a chance.
these are people that know next to nothing about working with electricity...its not that dangerous!!!!i
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
these are people that know next to nothing about working with electricity...its not that dangerous!!!!i
I am an electrical engineer and red tail is correct with part of his assertion I do know next to nothing about working with electricity.

I do know that if you turn off all the power you won't get a shock.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag ****** View Post
Because you experienced the problem right after the fence wire was installed it's probably likely that the installer cut the wire. Was the I.F. wire run between the house and lamp post? If yes, they most likely cut it.
The wiring for the invisible fence was not run between the house and the lamp. The only place I can see where they might have cut the wire is where they came through the garage wall and buried their line. That's on the side of the garage where the light meter, cable and phone lines etc. are attached to the house. That might be where the lamp post wiring exits the house as well. I don't know that though.
I spoke with the honcho at the invisible fence company today and they're coming out next week to check their wiring. He said it's doubtful that the faulty light is their fault. He said that according to code the line from the house to the lamp post must be 18" deep. The trench for their line is only 3" deep.
It could be coincidence but the light worked Thursday night, they dug Friday and the light didn't work Friday night.
In any case, no biggie. We'll get it fixed. If it's not the I.F. company, warranty will take care of it.
Thanks for all the responses. I learned alot from reading your posts.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.