Cleaning laminate flooring?

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Cleaning laminate flooring?

We will be having laminate flooring installed, but before we order it, I'd like to get ready with products to clean it. I just saw an infomercial on the Shark steamer, but is steaming a safe way to go? They claim it needs no chemicals. Anybody have some advice????

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Sage

We had laminate flooring installed not too long ago and was told we shouldn't use a steamer. I own a shark and it might just put out too much moisture for the flooring.

Bona makes a spray cleaner for laminate flooring. You just spray and then use a microfiber mop to wipe and clean. Bona makes the mop with a detachable head that can be cleaned in the washer.

The floors don't really get dirty, but they do show dust and you might need to mop quite a bit. The mop from Bona also has a microfiber head for dusting the floor.
Other companies make mops for dusting and cleaning, I'm sure it will be easy to find one...and the company installing your flooring might just give you one.

I'm really enjoying my new flooring, I'm sure you'll be happy with your new flooring, too.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Sage

No, no, no....don't use steam and you don't mop them with alot of water!!! You can dust them (I have a stick vac) and then damp/mop or damp/swiffer them. Ask the folks you're getting your flooring from what they recommend as well. If the floors get saturated with water that would not be a good thing
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've used both Bruce and Bona. I think Bruce is the much superior product. You spray just the teensiest amount on dry mop (I use a Swiffer dry). If there's a stain or dirt, then spray directly.

You can buy Bruce at Lowe's in the flooring department and can use it both on wood and laminate.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Woodpecker makes a product that you have to order online that cleans it very well and really makes the laminate shine. Spray it directly on then use a swiffer type mop to polish and dry.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I've used both Bruce and Bona. I think Bruce is the much superior product. You spray just the teensiest amount on dry mop (I use a Swiffer dry). If there's a stain or dirt, then spray directly.

You can buy Bruce at Lowe's in the flooring department and can use it both on wood and laminate.
I agree we used Bona,, but tried Bruce and it seems to be alot better.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

The Bona Mop is wonderful! It comes with two mop heads. I use the dust mop head first to go over the floors for dust. Then I use the other mop head, the actual laminate mop head along with the Bona Floor Cleaner. The Bona Mop heads have velcros on the backs and stick on the mop. The mop is very easy to handle and not heavy like some other ones and you can wash the mop heads as often as you want.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Thank you so much for your comments thus far. Keep posting your thoughts and ideas and I will eventually have to come to a decision. This has been very helpful!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Default water and vinegar

you shouldnt need more than a damp mop---water and vinegar works great!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Default Cleaning Laminate Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychilton View Post
you shouldnt need more than a damp mop---water and vinegar works great!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM

We had a laminate floor in our basement in MI. We used a shark steamer to clean it. A steamer provides a hot moist surface that is in direct contact with the floor but does not make the floor wet. We never had any problems with the floor and the steamer made cleaning very easy. The only disadvantage here in FL is that it will put more humidity into your house.

We have tile throughout our house here in TV and use the steamer to clean the tile floors- it works great.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Sage

Again ask the people where you purchase your flooring on what they recommend for cleaning. We got ours through FloorMasters and I'm thinking they said not to steam!! You could even call around to the various places as well to find out then decide what you'll do with yours.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Again ask the people where you purchase your flooring on what they recommend for cleaning. We got ours through FloorMasters and I'm thinking they said not to steam!! You could even call around to the various places as well to find out then decide what you'll do with yours.
That's interesting because I visited Floor Masters yesterday and he said to use windex (non-amonia) with a spray swiffer? mmmm...

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

I use Pledge in the gold bottle on our laminate floors.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 AM

I love my new laminate but would like them better if I didn't have 2 wonderful lab mixes that love to slobber their water everywhere and leave wet paw prints everywhere. My floors are definitely NOT easy to clean with just a damp mop using Bono or anything else. 1st we run sweeper to pick up excess hair, then dry swiffer to get into places sweeper doesn't, then damp mop floors and 2 days later start all over again. These floors are killing us or is it these beautiful labs that are doing it???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.