Cold water keeps turning off

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Default Cold water keeps turning off

Help! Can anyone tell me why my cold water keeps turning off? I push it back on but it is happening in the different sinks and more frequently. Do I need to call a plumber or is there something I can do myself? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

There is another similar thread you may want to follow. Seems like you may need to replace the push/pull valve if it keeps tripping. Read cabo35's post on this thread.
Toilet trouble
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Hope this helps/

Had the same problem at about the same time as you. Received possible explanations from several sources. One plumber suggested that it is a high water pressure issue that closes the push-pull type valves used in most Villages homes. I pushed the valves that had been tripped and got water back to the toilet and sinks involved (three valves). It's counter intuitive but pushing the valve firmly in opens the water supply. The plumber said that the problem with this simple fix is that the plastic push-pull shut off seems to close with greater frequency after each "tripping". We have lived here 7 years and around Dec. 19 the problem first occurred.

Sure enough, the push-pull shutoff valve for guest toilet and sink "trip" every other day now. He suggested that the problem may be linked to water pressure fluctuations, usually at night and possibly related to cold temperatures and or build up from less demand. He said the normal pressure in the line is 70 psi. At night it can spike to as much as 120 psi.

After some investigation, I will be replacing all the shut off valves with the conventional turnoff valves most of us are familiar with.

To date, the water company has not been helpful and somewhat evasive. They are sending someone out tomorrow and hopefully I will get an honest evaluation.

Anyone else been down this road with the water company? Any info or suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks..keep me posted when you hear from the water company.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Finished the plumbing work this morning.

In addition to replacing all my push/pulls, I replaced the expansion tank on top of the water heater. It was filled with water and had actually been installed upside down seven years ago. It's not supposed to be. This according to the plumber AND the water guy. I had no apparent problem for seven years. Toilets seem to fill much faster with new tank. I was told to expect 5-7 years out of the new tank.

From talking to the water company and plumbers, it may be that the problem was related to both the bad expansion tank and the push/pull type shutoffs. There seemed to be agreement that pressure issues could be connected to the expansion tank and manifested in shutting down certain push/pulls.

Anyway, I have a tendency to solve utility problems with calculated overkill....SO....I did both.

The bill was $426 for replacing 11 push/pulls with sturdy conventional shutoffs. That price also included the new expansion tank ($45) and its installation. I am confident the problem is solved. It took about 3 hours. Parts $223 + labor $203 =$426.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

well, cabo - it sounds like you are good to go! nice work!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Jersey. How did friends and family do up North? We were lucky in Brielle Landing. A little water in the garage. Some of our neighbors lost a lot more. Friends in Bay Head and Lavallette had damage. Ortley Beach and Seaside look like ground zero. A friend in Brick lost his house on a lagoon.

Worst I've seen in my lifetime.

Jersey strong. The shore will come back.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Default Expansion Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsm1 View Post
Help! Can anyone tell me why my cold water keeps turning off? I push it back on but it is happening in the different sinks and more frequently. Do I need to call a plumber or is there something I can do myself? Thanks for any suggestions.
Need to replace the existing expansion tank on top of the water heater. The shut off valves are fine.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsm1 View Post
i drill two small holes and use a ziptie and it is good to go
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyher View Post
i drill two small holes and use a ziptie and it is good to go
Are you saying you drill a hole on either side of the shut off valve then use a zip tie around the water line to hold it in place????
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Default push pull valves

i called and all the valves are guaranteed for 10 years just call and thay will be replaced
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.