Concrete buckled, lanai door won't open easily

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Concrete buckled, lanai door won't open easily

Situation: 10 year old villa. The patio concrete has buckled about 1/8" (rebar would have been nice), just enough so the lanai door does not open cleanly. I need to "lift" it a bit to get that to happen. How do I fix this - inexpensively and permanently?
I'm "semi-handy", enough to make me dangerous and I don't want to screw this up and make my beautiful wife unhappy!!

Option 1 - grind the concrete down a bit. Never done that but I'd try. Probably only needs a couple of square feet done. Is there a portable drill bit attachment? I hate to have to get a big heavy duty grinder or call someone out for 2 square feet.

Option 2 - raise the door 1/8". I've looked at this, but the door is pretty secure in the frame and I can't figure out how to do that.

Option 3 - ???

Open to suggestions, most appreciated.

10/17/2021 UPDATE - This is the patio that has buckled a bit, not the house foundation. No trees involved, just the slab.
The villa is concrete stucco and no jeopardy there, the door is not a slider, it's a standard swinging metal patio door.
I'm leaning to taking the door down and avoiding the concrete mess. The patio is epoxy painted and I'd have to deal with that if I do grind the concrete. Thanks all.

Last edited by JohnN; 10-17-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Situation: 10 year old villa. The patio concrete has buckled about 1/8" (rebar would have been nice), just enough so the lanai door does not open cleanly. I need to "lift" it a bit to get that to happen. How do I fix this - inexpensively and permanently?
I'm "semi-handy", enough to make me dangerous and I don't want to screw this up and make my beautiful wife unhappy!!

Option 1 - grind the concrete down a bit. Never done that but I'd try. Probably only needs a couple of square feet done. Is there a portable drill bit attachment? I hate to have to get a big heavy duty grinder or call someone out for 2 square feet.

Option 2 - raise the door 1/8". I've looked at this, but the door is pretty secure in the frame and I can't figure out how to do that.

Option 3 - ???

The only suggestion I'd have is perhaps post a couple photos of the damage which might help others who are much handier than I with helping you
Old 10-16-2021, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You can get a grinding wheel that can be used on a drill. Amazon.com
I would do the grinding.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

You can rent concrete grinders at Lowe's and Home Depot, I believe they have smaller units that will be suitable for your project. I would do the entire concrete surface as the grinding will leave a surface that will be much different in appearance then the rest of the surface. Also, if you decide to paint or otherwise coat the ground concrete be sure to use TWICE the recommended amount of shark grip or equal so you do not end up with a slippery surface. I just had the lanai completely ground and repainted, so I am familiar with what was done.
The next thing you need to do is figure out why the concrete buckled, I would look for tree roots and if you find these cut them or you may have a continuing problem. A neighbor had this happen to their driveway.
If you decide to work on the door, check on the bottom, in many cases there is an adjustable piece of trim with several screws, that you may be able to loosen and adjust for additional clearence.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-16-2021, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:

Option 3 - ???

Can’t cut 1/4” or sand off patio door? There not gap at the top is there where you could raise the door little bit?

My door sprung, I had to put the adjustment rod side to bottom and raise corner so it would drag?
Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Can’t cut 1/4” or sand off patio door? There not gap at the top is there where you could raise the door little bit?

My door sprung, I had to put the adjustment rod side to bottom and raise corner so it would drag?
Answer: The question now becomes do you wish to do the repair the right way, or the quick way. In this case, the answers are different.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:21 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

wo actually seeing the door , we'd use a7" elec grinder WITH DUST SHROUD AND GOOD VACUUM ,,, pick out a cup wheel w/turbo diamond segment arrangement rather than concentric circular setup, 12 segs swill remove conc faster than 24 segs...tons of dust so be aware. the ground area will have a different surface texture of course compared to the unground area. if int send me a pm

good luck !

Last edited by stadry; 10-17-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Photo? Sliders have adjustments as do hinged doors. And some hinge doors just need the top hinges tightened with a screwdriver to lift it a little. As another commenter said sliding doors almost always have adjustable bottom trims
Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 AM

Take the door off and cut 1/2 inch then put back the bottom trim or get a new one - much easier than messing with concrete
Old 10-17-2021, 07:04 AM
Default Easy fix and you get a new tool

Quote:

Option 3 - ???

Buy a 4" inch right angle grinder. Buy a diamond cupped wheel. Buy a couple of good dust masks and have at it. Repaint or reseal the concrete.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:47 AM

What is causing the buckling?
That is your first concern.
There have been many reports of settling issues in the newer developments.

We had a big Magnolia out back causing an issue in the bedroom. Gone
Also had an ugly Oak out front, As soon as I saw the front walk being lifted by a 1/4", good bye Oak tree. Those trees are too big and are always within a distance where they can fall on the house.
My insurance (State Farm) does not cover trees falling on and damage to the house. They will pay to have the tree removed. Not the house. Their words.

Easiest Solution.... NO TREES.

Also know that this is not real concrete, it is called Coquina. A mixture of cement, clam shells and Coral, horrible matrix as over time the shells become dessicated and they become dust. Then you have voids all over the place.

Take a ride and look at how many houses have driveways with huge cracks.

Go on the internet and look up Foundation repair, a company called RAM Jack is all over this area. For settling they will drill a 3/4" hole thru the concrete, and then they inject concrete under high pressure to lift the slab back up. They have been lifting the slabs at the mail box areas, just look for the row of white dots around the building.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:52 AM

I know a civil engineer here in SS. He said very simply these are not wood frame houses like up north. Meaning all the material around doors are typically all wood. Down here you can have two or three different types of materials all expanding at different amounts. So just by the time of the year doors and sliders may be affected.

Is this a recent thing? As in just in the last few days.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I would cut the door and leave the concrete alone. Much easier and cheaper.

Also, check for tree roots that may be causing the concrete to lift. Are you sure that the concrete lifted, and that the door didn't sag?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:40 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkruege1 View Post
Buy a 4" inch right angle grinder. Buy a diamond cupped wheel. Buy a couple of good dust masks and have at it. Repaint or reseal the concrete.
or you can borrow mine :-)
Closed Thread

Tags
door, concrete, option, open, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.