Delayed drip in bath tub

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Default Delayed drip in bath tub

Sometimes my shower faucet drips after a shower (much later). I've noticed that this happens when the toilet is flushed or the sink faucet is used. To deal with it, I now turn the tub faucet on and off about six times after I shower (until no more water drips from the shower head). This works, but is there an easy way to fix this problem pemanently?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Does the water drip from the shower head or the spicot?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

If it's a new house call the home warranty dept. let them deal with it. Otherwise you will probably have to repair the shut off valve. New gaskets or washers depending on how it is made.
If you have to call in a plumber for that one drip have them put new washers in several other faucets because they will probably have a minimum charge and one faucet will be less than the minimum. Maybe, ask before you have them do more.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 AM

If a new place, I would agree with Rag ****** - let the warranty folks know you have a problem. Not sure what causes it. I've seen it in homes and hotels both new and quite old. What I sometimes have done is after a shower and with the water valve still off, just open the shower diverter valve just a bit. That only works with the tub/shower arrangement of course. Anyway, by opening the shower diverter it lets the shower supply pipe drain and the water that is in the shower head drain out. Kind of a pain but it's a lot cheaper than paying someone to replace the valves in the wall which might not solve your problem.

If a knowledgable plumber here can offer a good and fairly cheap long-term solution, I would like to hear it. Until then, just drain the shower pipe a bit after each shower. At least it won't drip, drip, drip. . .
Old 08-26-2010, 04:00 PM

It drips from the shower head.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

This is not really a problem if it drips a few drops then stops until after the next shower. Has to do with the water pressure dropping when you flush the toilet or open another faucet. When you shut off the shower valve, the water stops flowing through the shower head, but the water that is left in the head from the head, back up through the shower arm is staying there only because of the suction from the pipe going up from the valve to where it exits through the wall and the head is attached. When you flush, the pressure against the valve, actually all the valves in the house drops. The shower releases water because of the upside down U shape of the water path from the valve. It should never drip more then the amount of water in the head and arm back to where the top of the upside down U is at its highest point.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks, Rag ******. It's a 10 year old home. I will try replacing the gasket and see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll probably just live with it until I remodel the bathroom.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Gold member

There should be a lever which re-directs the water flow from the shower head to the spicot. If you change the direction to the spicot and it still leaks after draining, you have a leaky valve. If it does not leak out of the spicot when the water is directed to the spicot, it is residual water in the pipe between the valve and the shower head.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

This condition could also be because the "water hammer preventer or overpressure tank" is filled with water and has no air column left in it to dampen the pressure spikes. These little devices are installed to dampen pressure spikes caused by devices that shut water off quickly.

One was to "recharge" these devices is to shutoff the water to the house. Then drain ALL of the water from your water pipes. This is generally done by shutting off poser/gas to the hot water heater, and then draining both hot and cold water pipes. The goal is to drain all of the water out of your system. After all the water is out of the system..... turn the close all of the spigots/faucets and turn the water back on. The last thing to do is to relight/turn on electricity to the water heater.

Just a thought .... over pressure can easily cause this type of behavior.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.