Drilling/mounting camera on pre-cast concrete finish?

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2023, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Drilling/mounting camera on pre-cast concrete finish?

I'm from the North and only have owned wood framed homes. My new house in Lake Denham is pre-cast, concrete finished home. I'm assuming the concrete/stucco finish is directly on the concrete? Is it okay to drill into the concrete to mount a Nest camera? Perhaps some of the trim is wood and I can mount it there instead?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks
Old 08-28-2023, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Just helped a neighbor install some brackets on concrete walls. For the first time I used SDS bits and a suitable impact drill, wow huge difference. You can probably get by with standard concrete bits and a regular drill. Use plastic inserts and associated screws, I suggest getting stainless steel to avoid rusting.

And to your original question, yes, the stucco should be directly over the concrete, very similar to our concrete/block home. I would go with longer plastic inserts, so you have some grip in the concrete and not just the stucco.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:07 AM
Smile Tapcon

Tapcon
Hex-Washer-Head Concrete Anchors

Get these at all Big Box or hardware stores...
Old 08-28-2023, 10:11 AM

On block construction, they will have a lentil to support the weight of the roof on openings for doors and windows. Not sure if they have those for the pre-cast tilt wall construction, so you may have more than just concrete and stucco to drill through, depending on where you are drilling.....
Old 08-28-2023, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
On block construction, they will have a lentil to support the weight of the roof on openings for doors and windows. Not sure if they have those for the pre-cast tilt wall construction, so you may have more than just concrete and stucco to drill through, depending on where you are drilling.....
You are correct, and that is exactly what I just drilled through, and the SDS bits were fantastic. These went through the stucco, concrete, and steel with no problem. I had tried this before with concrete and cobalt bits, and it took forever.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Google video

installing nest camera on stucco
Old 08-28-2023, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the tips. I've used tapcon before. In my google search this may be an option, installing under the eave rather than drilling the concrete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWkB0UZM1M
Old 08-28-2023, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
I'm from the North and only have owned wood framed homes. My new house in Lake Denham is pre-cast, concrete finished home. I'm assuming the concrete/stucco finish is directly on the concrete? Is it okay to drill into the concrete to mount a Nest camera? Perhaps some of the trim is wood and I can mount it there instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Just helped a neighbor install some brackets on concrete walls. For the first time I used SDS bits and a suitable impact drill, wow huge difference.
As usual, Villagetinker has the solution. I have an impact drill (hammer drill) if you want to borrow it, but we won’t be there until mid September. PM me if you want to borrow it then.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
As usual, Villagetinker has the solution. I have an impact drill (hammer drill) if you want to borrow it, but we won’t be there until mid September. PM me if you want to borrow it then.
I appreciate the offer. I have the tools I need. I won't be there until October. I close September 12th. Just getting prepared. Since we won't be there full time I want to be able to see my lawn is being cared for and the house is secure, hence the cameras.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:05 AM
Default Camera mount

I mounted two wireless cameras, one under the eaves that captures driveway and front of the house and one to a Sylvester palm near the back entrance that captures back door and rear of house. Super easy and no issues in the two years they have been up. Replaced battery annually. I have block and stucco and preferred not to mount to that.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:55 AM
Default Camera under wave.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I've used tapcon before. In my google search this may be an option, installing under the eave rather than drilling the concrete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWkB0UZM1M
I have installed two cameras under eaves screwing into soffit. Worked great, easy and have had no issues for years since. Cameras typically very light weight load and easily screw into the soffit. At least an option to consider.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Just helped a neighbor install some brackets on concrete walls. For the first time I used SDS bits and a suitable impact drill, wow huge difference. You can probably get by with standard concrete bits and a regular drill. Use plastic inserts and associated screws, I suggest getting stainless steel to avoid rusting.

And to your original question, yes, the stucco should be directly over the concrete, very similar to our concrete/block home. I would go with longer plastic inserts, so you have some grip in the concrete and not just the stucco.
A 1/4” impact drill works much better than trying to drill in concrete with a regular drill (which doesn’t really work). However, I also have a DeWalt 1/2” hammer drill, 20v, and with the right bit, that zips through concrete block and is pretty fast on solid concrete. There was a time, though, when I needed to pass a garden hose through a solid 8” concrete wall. I think I used. 3/4” hammer drill, and I was through in about three minutes. These tools can be rented. You don’t use them very often.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:42 AM

I attached two of min to the down spouts. Works fine.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:

If outdoors I mounted ours under the eve, and the screws went into the bottom of roof rafters, also keeps the camera a bit more protected, and ran the power cord into the attic to an outlet up there.

just a different option as I didn't want it into the concrete at this point in time
Old 08-29-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Just get a good diamond tip concrete drill bit and concrete screws. No problem!
Closed Thread

Tags
concrete, wood, pre-cast, finish, mount

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.