Driving screws into lintel of lanai

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Gold member
Default Driving screws into lintel of lanai

I have an enclosed lanai and want to attach solar screens and a cornice above our lanai doors. From watching it being built, the material is a stucco layer on top of the metal lintel which is then filled with concrete. So, do I start with a hammer drill with a masonry bit for the stucco, then switch to a metal bit for the metal part, and then switch back to the hammer drill with a masonry bit? Or, since the stocco is relatively thin, just start with the metal bit until I reach the concrete in the lintel and then switch to the masonry bit? I love block and stucco homes, but this is a brand new DYI environment from wood construction like I am used to.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM

I would start with a masonry bit, change to metal to get through the steel and then use a tapcop bit in the hammer drill. Tapcons work great in concrete.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Sage

Can't tell you how many drill bits I ruined trying to get through the lintel. I used a masonary drill to get through the stucco and a high speed drill to get through the lintel. I finally gave up and called a handyman to do the job. He took one look at what I wanted to do and declined the job because he would ruin too many bits. He suggested drilling above the lintel into the concrete block, but that wouldn't achieve what I wanted, so I did something else.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Can't tell you how many drill bits I ruined trying to get through the lintel. I used a masonary drill to get through the stucco and a high speed drill to get through the lintel. I finally gave up and called a handyman to do the job. He took one look at what I wanted to do and declined the job because he would ruin too many bits. He suggested drilling above the lintel into the concrete block, but that wouldn't achieve what I wanted, so I did something else.
I didn't want to hear this. Was the problem getting through the metal or the concrete? Did you use a hammer drill for the concrete? I have found that concrete block is very easy to drill through with a hammer drill. Not sure about solid concrete that is in the lintel, though.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Sage

Sounds like a job for a core drilling machine with diamond bits.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

Maybe this would do the trick.

Shop Powers Powder Actuated .22 Cal Single Shot Tool at Lowes.com

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Sage

And you can shoot a stud, and attach your screen with a nut to make it removable.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
I didn't want to hear this. Was the problem getting through the metal or the concrete? Did you use a hammer drill for the concrete? I have found that concrete block is very easy to drill through with a hammer drill. Not sure about solid concrete that is in the lintel, though.
Nah, no problem with the stucco or concrete block. It is the metal lintel that resisted all my attempts at drilling. I tried every type of bit I could get and ruined them all in short order. I wound up drilling above the lintel and hanging things down to the level I wanted.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Sage

Core drill diamond bits will go thru metal - I've seen them go thru inch thick and larger rebar.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Gold member

In answer to my own question for the benefit of others:

I had the work done by a professional installer and this is how he did it. First, he used a hammer drill to get through the thin coat of stucco. When he reached the metal part of the lintal he used a self-tapping metal screw to create a hole through the metal to the concrete core. Then, he took out the screw and finished off with a hammer drill and used a Tapcon screw to attach the brackets.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Gold member

Thanks for the info
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.