Flexable decorating

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Cool Flexable decorating

I just met someone playing Ma jong here in Seattle who did something unusual. She wanted to put a tropical floral wallpaper on one wall of their new retirement apartment.
Her husband thought that in six months she would be sick of it.

Solution: He put ¼ inch sheetrock on the wall (I didn’t know it came that thin) spackled over the screws and then they put the paper on the new surface. Now when she (or he) gets sick of it they won’t have to strip the paper just take down the whole thing.

Someone at the table said they were going to try the do same thing but using ½ inch hardie board as in their rental they can’t put up a tile back splash because they rent but could fill holes in sheetrock later if needs be.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

That's pretty inventive!! What a great idea for trying out new decorating schemes.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Banned

I wonder how they finished the corners, top edge and particularly the baseboard trim.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I asked how they did the corners and she said it was between two walls so butted up against them and the ceiling and because it was only 1/4" thick it sat on top of the baseboard trim which is 1/2 inch with a little caulk run in any gaps. Haven't seen it but was facinated at the idea.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag ****** View Post
I wonder how they finished the corners, top edge and particularly the baseboard trim.
Me too! This sounds like a great idea for the wall underneath the kitchen counter -- You know, the one that everybody kicks when they sit on the barstools. I thought about painting it with scrubbable paint. Does anybody have any other clever ideas for that wall?
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My cottagy decor would lend itself to white beadboard there.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Me too! This sounds like a great idea for the wall underneath the kitchen counter -- You know, the one that everybody kicks when they sit on the barstools. I thought about painting it with scrubbable paint. Does anybody have any other clever ideas for that wall?
Judy
How about click flooring. I was in a home that they had run the wook look laminate flooring up the wall under the bar area were it gets kiked all the time. They finished the outside corner with a piece of outside corner trim it is L shaped and goes over the edge to hide it. Because it is flooring it scrubs right off. It could be held either with contractors adhesive (comes in a caulking tube) or with finish nails. Just a thought.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
How about click flooring. I was in a home that they had run the wook look laminate flooring up the wall under the bar area were it gets kiked all the time. They finished the outside corner with a piece of outside corner trim it is L shaped and goes over the edge to hide it. Because it is flooring it scrubs right off. It could be held either with contractors adhesive (comes in a caulking tube) or with finish nails. Just a thought.
That would work great for when I'm all excited waited for something to happen and I'm... climbing the walls.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My cottagy decor would lend itself to white beadboard there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
How about click flooring. ... Just a thought.
These are great ideas! What a clever bunch you all are! Isn't this forum the best place for answers to life's perplexing questions?
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Sage
Default I wish we had a decorating thread.

I love to talk about it and hear and see what others have done. My house is in the albums above and it is finished...........NOW we are thinking to buy another one with a little larger bedroom for Helene when we move down permanently and sell the one we have, decorated. We were able to decorate it all in a beachy, cottagy feel, and we love it, but now I am faced with bringing down our couch and love seat, in deep eggplant velvet and all of its friends, kinda formal furniture, and making it into a Florida feel, without being kitchy or....too dressy etc. I can't just throw it away!

I have found some Braemor fabric called Rosalinda blue sky and it is tropical with some eggplant in it. I am thinking to have a wooden arm chair recovered and use that fabric and some other solids with lime and light teal for headers and pillows.

This is going to be a tough decorating challenge. Have any of you used your traditional furniture and made it fit Florida?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Yes, to a decorating thread. I have been a voyeur on this site for amost a year now. We own a home in TV but have it rented out unfurnished. It's killing me not to be there but it is what it is for now. I have been looking for a decorating site but not being good at this thread stuff didn't know how to do it. It would be fun and helpful to get advice from others who are living the dream of decorating or have it done already.(are you ever done?) I am here in New England buying furniture and "stuff" for our home there. I started out with a certain style in mind and one impluse buy has thrown my vision out the window. Gracie, I think having the chair recovered with the fabric you mentioned sounds awesome. It would give the sofa a lighter look and a very rich look to it and it's friends.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I love to talk about it and hear and see what others have done. My house is in the albums above and it is finished...
You're finished? Really? FINISHED?

We've been here a little over a year. Last week I finally got some pictures up on the walls in the living room. I was so proud that I actually accomplished something, but now I have low self esteem. sigh.

Maybe a decorating thread would light a fire under me.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Sage

I am finished.

I think if the houses down here have any kind of mutual problem is that they are either under or over accessorized. Under because they are in the process like you are or over because a lot of people bring too much stuff when they move permanently....which is gonna be me if I don't start editing up here before that permanent move happens.

I know it is stuff and you shouldn't love what can't love you back, but....

Our Camellia was so much fun to decorate because I didn't have to work around what we already had. I was able to use some things from Cincinnati but the rest were a fun search, trying to stay within a low budjet and I am happy with the finds from Bargains and Treasures, Ikea, Frontgate outlet(in Cincinnati) Dockside, Ebay, etc. I loved having white furniture for the first time (and maybe the last when we move) and I loved having the walls Shoreline blue, very different from our house in Ohio.

We will see what can be done with our stuff from Ohio, but meanwhile we have to sell the Ohio house and then the Hadley house.

And JUDY, don't ever get down about not being finished. It is NOT the destination but the journey.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Judy
Judy.... we had a tile 'backsplash' put under the kitchen bar counter. No more kick marks!!!

Floormasters did the job (about $500) with a very nice quality 4x4 stone tile; the black tile inserts match our countertops. They did a great job.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Sage

That looks terrific 07. Very nice indeed. That Black Galaxy sets it off!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.