Floor tile installation?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Floor tile installation?

We have a couple of rooms that are carpeted and going to tile.
I have looked up several do it yourself videos and when all done, on a scale of complexity of 1-10 I rate it a 4.

The rates for installation by various contractors runs between $3 and $5 per square foot.

I certainly have the time. Any of you who have done it for the first time have any suggestion/comments? Warnings?

btk
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Sage

I did our kitchen/nook in CA. If I had it to do over, I would have hired a pro to do it. I spent a lot of time trying to get the pattern right to minimize cuts yet still had a lot of cuts to make. Fortunately, the company that sold me the tile let me borrow a tile saw. But I still had to use nippers to make some rounded cuts for drains. Then there was moving the stove and fridge to tile those areas. And removing/replacing baseboards which no longer were the right height under cabinets.

The floor wasn't as flat as I hoped, with highs and lows that made matching edges and corners difficult. Even with filling low spots, the high spots were still enough to cause difficulty.

Grouting was not fun. We had previously done a small bathroom floor and though we thought we had wiped the grout well, there was a bit of haze on some tiles. So we spent hours wiping the tiles in the kitchen to make sure they were clean. (They were black tiles so a haze would be visible easily.)

It took twice as long as we thought and couldn't use that part of the house during that time.

So, spend time on prep to minimize surprises. Make sure you have a large level. I would suggest a 4 foot one. Rent or buy a tile saw. Take your time. Buy plenty of extra tiles for mistakes and for future repairs. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Sage

Oh that must have been a long time ago....nippers!

Everyone uses power saws to cut all kinds of shapes.

I think it's very easy DIY, look at Utube videos.

Basically start by squaring the room find center and work out to all the walls.

Let that setup, next day cut all the wall pieces, grout.

On a skill level of 1-5 I give it a 2 as in easy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.