Garage Door Opener Problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Platinum member
Default Garage Door Opener Problem

The garage door opener in my car has developed a problem.

Intermittently, when the door is open and I want to close it and leave, the door won't close.

When I press the button, the light on the closer turns on and you can hear the motor whirling, but the door won't close.

But pressing the hard-wired close button inside the garage unfailingly closes the door.

When returning home, pressing the button causes the door to open.

The failure to close is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

There is nothing blocking the safety electric eye.

Any insights on this problem would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The garage door opener in my car has developed a problem.

Intermittently, when the door is open and I want to close it and leave, the door won't close.

When I press the button, the light on the closer turns on and you can hear the motor whirling, but the door won't close.

But pressing the hard-wired close button inside the garage unfailingly closes the door.

When returning home, pressing the button causes the door to open.

The failure to close is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

There is nothing blocking the safety electric eye.

Any insights on this problem would be appreciated.

Sounds like its time to replace the battery in the remote. If it's an MVP remote, it takes a CR2032 (3- volt)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
Sounds like its time to replace the battery in the remote. If it's an MVP remote, it takes a CR2032 (3- volt)
Why would it be a battery issue when the remote reliably opens the door and also turns on the door opener light and starts the motor spinning when you try to close the door?

I'm not too cheap to buy a couple of batteries, which I will do, but it seems unlikely that this is the problem when the light and motor respond to the remote, but the door doesn't move for closing.

Still wondering...........

Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

I had a similar problem and found that adjusting the sensitivity force on the motor helped. It's covered in your owners manual or you can look it up online. On my opener, there's a opening screw on one side and a closing screw on the other. Both are marked. I gave the closing side a half turn clockwise whenever I had a problem with the door not closing. I had to repeat several times until it was trouble free. You don't want to go to far because you want the door to stop if it meets an obstruction on the way down (like a kid or pet).
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Why would it be a battery issue when the remote reliably opens the door and also turns on the door opener light and starts the motor spinning when you try to close the door?

I'm not too cheap to buy a couple of batteries, which I will do, but it seems unlikely that this is the problem when the light and motor respond to the remote, but the door doesn't move for closing.

Still wondering...........

I don't know why but when my battery gets low, the remote will gradually get worse. I will have to hit the button two or three times to get the door to close. I change the battery and it immediately works perfectly again.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Platinum member

I intend to try both suggested solutions.

The batteries will be first, probably getting those tomorrow.

Then, the next able bodied friend who can climb a ladder who comes to visit will be asked to take a look at the control head.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 2012 when our homes were about a year old, everyone on our block had remote problems within a month or two. I called Ro-Mac Garage Doors Division who installed all the garage door openers in our village. They said their was a batch of bad batteries in all the remotes. He came out the next day and replaced the battery free of charge and we haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
In 2012 when our homes were about a year old, everyone on our block had remote problems within a month or two. I called Ro-Mac Garage Doors Division who installed all the garage door openers in our village. They said their was a batch of bad batteries in all the remotes. He came out the next day and replaced the battery free of charge and we haven't had a problem since.
That's my project for tomorrow. (After physical therapy.)

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 AM

I had a similar problem with my opener. Replaced the senser and its worked ever since. The wired button overides the senser. If you order them on line, they come in a set of two. one side sends the signal, the other reflects it. The set I bought only cost about $24. Can't remenber name of site. Google garage door opener parts. Easy to replace.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugCave View Post
I had a similar problem with my opener. Replaced the senser and its worked ever since. The wired button overides the senser. If you order them on line, they come in a set of two. one side sends the signal, the other reflects it. The set I bought only cost about $24. Can't remenber name of site. Google garage door opener parts. Easy to replace.
Good information! I'll start by making sure the sensors are clean.'

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Platinum member
Smile Thanks

Here is a brief follow up regarding my garage door opener.

My son discovered that the drive belt from the motor to the chain drive was old and loose, and that the track that guides the door pull was dry. Some lubricant in the track got the whole thing running again, and I'll be ordering a new drive belt.

Thanks for all the suggestions about possible solutions. So far, I've learned more about electrical, plumbing and garage door opener situations when problems arose in the house. In every case my information came from people on TOTV. What a great resource!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
I don't know why but when my battery gets low, the remote will gradually get worse. I will have to hit the button two or three times to get the door to close. I change the battery and it immediately works perfectly again.
I see the problem is fixed.
Just wanted to say when my batteries in the TV remote get low some functions stop working but not all. I would think all should fail.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Sage

I wanted to mention just for info in the future that the electric eyes near the floor that are aimed at each other to prevent someone being hit by the door when closing must be kept clean. Mine malfunctioned due to cob webs that needed to be cleared.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.