Garage Flooring

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Garage Flooring

Just wondering if anyone has tried or know of someone that has used Swiss Trax flooring system? I have been checking out the website, looks really good. SHould be able to do a 2 car garage floor in about 3 hours?? Here is a link for them.

www.swisstrax.com

http://www.swisstrax.com/index.php

Money out
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried or know of someone that has used Swiss Trax flooring system? I have been checking out the website, looks really good. SHould be able to do a 2 car garage floor in about 3 hours?? Here is a link for them.

www.swisstrax.com

http://www.swisstrax.com/index.php
Looks good. Are you worried that the guy in the picture would steal it as soon as you got your feet on the ground?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Cool

Similarly, I have been considering the use of good old Vinyl Composition Tile (previously known as Asphalt Tile) for my garage in PA as we are getting it ready to sell and move to TV. Here is a blog link to a site showing a garage done for about $500.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

I would be interested to know if anyone has had experience with this method, and how it might compare to Trax or Epoxy.

*** Please disregard the above based on comments attributed to Armstrong Flooring from another forum. See below: ***

"After installation, the temperature should be maintained at a minimum of 55 degrees F. The performance of the flooring material and adhesives can be adversely affected below this minimum temperature. Most garage floors have had gas and oil dripped or spilled on them. The residue in the substrate will inhibit the adhesive from working properly. Automobile fluids, such as brake, transmission and oil, if leaked onto the resilient flooring can get into the joints of the tile and break down the adhesive creating a bonding issue and a possible installation failure. The oils and antioxidants used in the manufacturing process of rubber tires will cause a permanent yellow discoloration to any resilient (vinyl) flooring. Also, exposure to the moisture from rain, snow or sleet and varying temperatures will have a damaging effect on both tile and sheet flooring."

Last edited by Allen; 03-03-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Founder

$3.95 a square foot? 20 X 20 garage $1,580.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
$3.95 a square foot...
Talk Host,

Are you referring to the cost of the Trax flooring?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Talk Host,

Are you referring to the cost of the Trax flooring?
Yes, SwissTrax.

More On Swisstrax Diamondtrax Floor TileSwisstrax Diamondtrax Floor Tile
$3.95 Sq. Ft.

Diamondtrax garage floor tile is our most popular interlocking floor tile system. It is perfect for garage floors and workshops where an attractive, non-slip, solid floor surface is desired. Diamondtrax tile is easy to both install and remove, and is the only tile choice you need to consider to significantly enhance the look of your home or business!

» More On Swisstrax Diamondtrax Floor Tile

More On Swisstrax Ribtrax Floor TileSwisstrax Ribtrax Garage Floor Tile
$3.95 Sq. Ft.

Ribtrax garage tile floors are ideal for both commercial and residential tile flooring. They are great in garages, workshops, exercise or playrooms, as well as patios, terraces, around pools and more! The open profile garage floor tile design facilitates easy cleaning and maintenance. Whatever you park on it this durable and attractive flooring is practical and virtually care free!

» More On Swisstrax Ribtrax Floor Tile

More On Swisstrax Sportrax Floor TileSwisstrax Sportrax Garage Floor Tile
$3.95 Sq. Ft.

Sportrax interlocking garage floor tiles are perfect for in-line roller hockey, basketball, and tennis courts. Sportrax tile is also great for garages and workshops. The unique design provides an excellent play or work surface with a small open pattern to eliminate worries about dirt and water interference. It is also ideal for temporary or permanent applications inside or out!

» More On Swisstrax Sportrax Floor Tile

More On Swisstrax Floortrax Floor TileSwisstrax Floortrax Floor Tile
$3.95 Sq. Ft.

Swisstrax Floortrax is our newest garage tile from Swisstrax. It is great a tile for garage floors and workshops where an attractive, non-slip, solid surface is needed. Floortrax is easy to install and easy to remove. Use FloorTrax to enhance the look of your home or business in no time!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

I talked to them yesterday and got a quote for a 2 car garage, standard shape. It is 3.95 a foot. That would include the ramp edging for the entry into the garage. I would be doing it wall to wall so I do not need side edging. If you wanted the side edging it would be 3.00 a piece. Comes in 8 boxes. Shipping is free.

thinking about getting the Lania doNE, which is 10'6" Wide by 19'9" long. would make it look really nice.

Friend of mine had the garage and all done with epoxy and all that, but you can see tire marks and all in it. He is looking to redo it again. Just thinking that this while cost more, in the long run you get better wear and results. Plus you could take it up and move it with you and add to it or make it smaller.

install looks rather easy to do.

Money out

Last edited by GMONEY; 03-03-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Looks pretty good and I guess you get what you pay for.

I think concrete staining (like they do the driveways and such) could be another alternative. Those get sealed so may not stain.

I've tried epoxy paint in the past on an old floor and I didn't much care for it
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default What about moisture ...

These floors look great and I have considered them in previous homes. I never installed one, since I was never comfortable with the durability over time. Even though epoxy can show tire marks, I was not able to determine the extent to which these tiles would [or would not] show tire marks or how easy they would be to keep clean.

Lastly, since I lived in Chicago, at the time, I was not sure how they would stand up to moisture...like melting snow. But, you also have rain draining from your car or golf cart.

From a cost perspective; other than the hassle factor of removing everything from the garage, I can epoxy my floor a couple times, for the cost of the tiles...

If you install the tiles, let us all know how they hold up. Like I said, they look great and I would be an "easy sell" if they are durable.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
These floors look great and I have considered them in previous homes. I never installed one, since I was never comfortable with the durability over time. Even though epoxy can show tire marks, I was not able to determine the extent to which these tiles would [or would not] show tire marks or how easy they would be to keep clean.

Lastly, since I lived in Chicago, at the time, I was not sure how they would stand up to moisture...like melting snow. But, you also have rain draining from your car or golf cart.

From a cost perspective; other than the hassle factor of removing everything from the garage, I can epoxy my floor a couple times, for the cost of the tiles...

If you install the tiles, let us all know how they hold up. Like I said, they look great and I would be an "easy sell" if they are durable.
Will do, when I called them they told me they really last and not hard to clean. You can pick up a tile and clean it or under it and put it right back down. I would use darker colors for the garage I know that. waiting to hear from a friend of mine out in California, i believe he has them. see what he has to say..

Money out
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Gmoney.... Did you decide on the tiles? Just curious, since I purchased a home in St. Charles recently. I'm looking to either epoxy or tile within the next month.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

I installed a similar system iin my previous house in the Panhandle (Florida) and will never do it again. Looked great at first. But when you get it wet, the miosture gets under the tiles. Once that happens, mold/mildew grows. Still looked good, but ....
The other problem with these applications is thermal expansion . They grow and shrink as they heat up and cool. And with a heavy object (car/cart) you have sections buckle up.
Never again! Had my garage here epoxied, and have been very happy with it.
Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Default Trax flooring

I tried a similar item to the Trax flooring on my garage in NW Georgia. The floor had been painted several times before I bought the house and looked really ugly. The owner before me had put a vinly or rubber mat down that was terrible. The Trax type flooring I used was great. It was down for the last three years I owned the house. The only poroblem I had was it crept. About every three months I had to take off the row at the far end of the garage and move it to the front end. Also it crept diagonally. The car we used the most made it move gradually so that it was at a diagonal angle in the garage. To correct was easy enough. I just moved everything off the floor of the garage and kicked at one corner several times and it would eventually straighten itself. You can't put them tight to either wall for the above reasons. The Trax system may not do this, but I wouldn't count on that. Leave enough room all the way around for creeping. The drawback to that is the flooring is not wall to wall, but on my old garage floor it looked so much better I didn't care.

I hope this helps.

A previous post complained about buckling and moisture. I didn't have the Trax system, and I never had that problem unless the last row had crept up to the garage wall. That was a simple 5 minute fix. I agree with others here who recommend the epoxy. It looks much more professional. Leave the Trax system for old oily garage floors that can't be painted.

Last edited by iandwk; 06-06-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Gmoney.... Did you decide on the tiles? Just curious, since I purchased a home in St. Charles recently. I'm looking to either epoxy or tile within the next month.
Have not done it yet, but the more I look and listen to some of the post, might look into the epoxy.. I know a few that have the Swiss Trax and it looks good, they have no problems with it yet.

Money out
Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

After reading the posts on here, I think I will go ahead with epoxy. In the future, I could still put in a Trax floor or any other such flooring over the epoxy.

Plus, at this point, there is the hassle factor to consider and epoxy would likely be the path of least resistance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.