Help cleaning shower - ideas??

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Sage
Default Help cleaning shower - ideas??

Hi all:

We have a roman tile shower in a light colored swirly tile with a taupe grout. I'd love to hear how others clean their showers. We rinse after every use, but still are plagued with mold. I clean it with a bleach product but still get the mold. Plus how do you keep the walls bright and shiny?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hi all:

We have a roman tile shower in a light colored swirly tile with a taupe grout. I'd love to hear how others clean their showers. We rinse after every use, but still are plagued with mold. I clean it with a bleach product but still get the mold. Plus how do you keep the walls bright and shiny?
home depot...purple industrial cleaner
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Platinum member

First----Always, always, always run the fan. If you don't do it while showering, be sure to do it for at least 15-20 minutes afterwards.

Second -- I bought a mop that has a mop on one side and a scrfub brush on the back side. Spray the entire shower wall and floor with the Clorox cleaner and "mop" down the walls and floor. If you have some stubborn spots, flip the mop over and use the brush side. Rinse well and you're done. Oh yeah, be sure to run the fan while you're using the Clorox cleaner stuff. It's pretty potent.

We also have a hand-held shower head in addition to the standard issue. That helps with the rinsing.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We use Kaboom for the tiles and Clorox clean up for the grout. Works fine. Also squeege the tiles after showering
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hi all:

After you get it clean let it dry and put a grout sealer; available at most stores (Home Depot). If you use a squeegee after showering this will get most water off tile and let exhaust fan support drying. We sealed after closing and have had no problems.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndominesey View Post
home depot...purple industrial cleaner
Hi,
The best enemy is mold is a dry place. I cannot use clorox and similar products because of allergy and mold is a plague. The best solution i find is to truly "dry" the area. It seems hard work, but I literally go after the area and dry with a cloth. The fan by itself does not dry it fast enough, but is useful also. Sometimes I left the window a bit open to help the air dry process. It sounds tedious, but it works -- spot clean.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big47moe View Post
After you get it clean let it dry and put a grout sealer; available at most stores (Home Depot). If you use a squeegee after showering this will get most water off tile and let exhaust fan support drying. We sealed after closing and have had no problems.
We too had the grout sealed beore moving in. We use the fan during and after showering and we squeege the water off the walls and floor. Have had no problems since April.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Has anyone tried a steam cleaner? We just bought one but haven't tried it yet.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
First----Always, always, always run the fan. If you don't do it while showering, be sure to do it for at least 15-20 minutes afterwards.

Second -- I bought a mop that has a mop on one side and a scrfub brush on the back side. Spray the entire shower wall and floor with the Clorox cleaner and "mop" down the walls and floor. If you have some stubborn spots, flip the mop over and use the brush side. Rinse well and you're done. Oh yeah, be sure to run the fan while you're using the Clorox cleaner stuff. It's pretty potent.

We also have a hand-held shower head in addition to the standard issue. That helps with the rinsing.
Wow that looks like a lot of work! I think you might have to reshower after you finish cleaning the roman shower. That was the one thing I wanted to get when I buy this month, but I am rethinking it , lol....
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Wow that looks like a lot of work! I think you might have to reshower after you finish cleaning the roman shower. That was the one thing I wanted to get when I buy this month, but I am rethinking it , lol....
It is alot of work taking care of those roman showers. I'm thinking if I get the grout sealed it will help.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Have roman shower and did not seal grout. Have absolutely no mold problems. We run the exhaust fan while showering and allow it to run an additional 20 minutes after. The shower is cleaned regularly, but nothing special is used. Once you finally get the mold problem settled, you MUST run the fan...and let it run another 20 minutes when you're done.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
This is not a DAILY regimen. I thought the OP asked for ideas on how to clean the shower, which is not necessarily done every day. For the daily cleaning, using a towel or squeegie, to dry the walls and floor after showering will work just fine.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM

I agree with getdul981. Daily drying will prevent mold from forming. We have had a Roman shower for 7 years and we run the fan during and after showering. We squeegie the walls and floor, then towel dry walls and floor. We have never had any mold on the walls whatsoever and have never sealer the grout. If we see the redish deposit on the floor grout which you get from water, we spray with a 50-50 bleach/water mix, let sit for 30 minutes, then flush with fresh water. That happens maybe every 3 months max.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
I agree with getdul981. Daily drying will prevent mold from forming. We have had a Roman shower for 7 years and we run the fan during and after showering. We squeegie the walls and floor, then towel dry walls and floor. We have never had any mold on the walls whatsoever and have never sealer the grout. If we see the redish deposit on the floor grout which you get from water, we spray with a 50-50 bleach/water mix, let sit for 30 minutes, then flush with fresh water. That happens maybe every 3 months max.
Thanks for all of the tips. I have lots of great ideas to work with now.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Default Cleaning Roman shower

We use vinegar, which was recommended for tile cleaning at our walk-through with the builder. I'm also sensitive to bleach, as someone else mentioned, and vinegar works wonders as a disinfectant!

We keep a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar + water on the shower bench. We wipe down the shower walls, soap dish, and floor with a large towel after each use, plus always run the fan. We've lived here only 2 months, and so far no mold odor or problem

Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.