Lamp post Light

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but why does the lamps burn every night??? Can the things be switched off ???

Seems like a waste of electricity to me !!!

I think you can buy a screw in light sensor that will turn the light off during daylight hours and allows you to just leave the switch to the outside light in the on position.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 11-07-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Gold member

After speaking with the guy from the I.F. company I called warranty. The builder's rep had to come out to pick up a list of problems we found since the closing so it was a good time to ask about the post light. The buider's rep agreed with the I.F. guy that it wasn't likely that the I.F. installation had anything to do with the post light. Warranty sent out an electrician today who replaced the sensor on the lamp post. All is well now.
It was an unusual coincidence that the lamp failed shortly after the I.F. wiring was installed but everyone involved was honest and concerned and the problem was resolved without difficulty.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

Just a short note here. If the cable to the lamp had been cut, there would be a breaker tripped that you cannot reset.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Just a short note here. If the cable to the lamp had been cut, there would be a breaker tripped that you cannot reset.
Why can't one reset the breaker that feeds the lampost? I do it all the time. BTW, get a new light sensor at Ace Hardware, they are 3-4 dollars cheaper that the home improvement stores
Old 11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

Speaking of circuit breakers

If you have a circuit breaker trip, it will not look obvious at first sight. Once you have determined which one you think is tripped, push it to the left (off) ALL THE WAY then reset it by pushing it to the right (on). Simply pushing a tripped breaker to the right will not reset it
Handie
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman View Post
Why can't one reset the breaker that feeds the lampost? I do it all the time. BTW, get a new light sensor at Ace Hardware, they are 3-4 dollars cheaper that the home improvement stores
Hey Handie, good hearing from you. I wasn't sure if you were still around.
As it turned out the lampost problem was caused by a defective sensor. After my conversation with the invisible fence company I called the warranty dept. The builders rep had to come out and pick up a list of warranty issues anyway. He said he didn't think the I.F. had anything to do with the light and sent out an electrician.
If it had not been a new I.F. and a new house I would have taken care of it myself.
The de-humidistat you installed for me in March works great. Saved me a bunch of money over the summer. Thanks.
Bluedog
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Gold member
Talking

More then likely, its the sensor!! Just replace. Very cheap and easy
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but why does the lamps burn every night??? Can the things be switched off ???

Seems like a waste of electricity to me !!!
They are all made to come on when it's dark. I think for all of our security.

I suppose you could remove the light bulb or unscrew it.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry;4***35
More then likely, its the sensor!! Just replace. Very cheap and easy
This is an old thread but you're right, it was the sensor. Warranty changed it and it worked fine for a couple of months. They came out and replaced it again and so far all is fine.
A defective sensor is easy to troubleshoot and easy to change. Even easier when you have a great warranty department like TV.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Default Help from 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
I think you can buy a screw in light sensor that will turn the light off during daylight hours and allows you to just leave the switch to the outside light in the on position.

Our lamp post light broke while were up north. The light was always on. So I did a search on TOTV and found my solution here. The fix cost $10.00 and took less than a minute. Thanks for the great information
Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Gold member

Just replaced lamp light on post yesterday. (6 yrs old, and pretty skimpy) Bought new light at Home Depot for 34.00. Turned off electric and replaced. Took 10 minutes. Sensor was replaced last year. Circumfrence of poles are all standard, so all fixtures are the same. Any handy person can do!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.