Lawn Mowing

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Question Lawn Mowing

I was just wondering if anyone is mowing their own lawn. I have had different lawn services over the last year and am not impressed by them. I am thinking of doing it myself. Time is not a problem I figure a few hours a week. Before I invest in equipment I thought it would be a good idea to ask for the pros and cons. Pros-- better looking lawn, a small amount of exercise, save $45 per month. Cons-- $300-$750 equipment investment (mower, edger, gas can,), gas and storage of same, heat stroke, equipment maintenance and storage.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum member

Don't even need a few hours a week. I have an oversize lot and it only takes about an hour to do the lawn, edging, and trimming. Getting gas in a 5 gal. can lasts forever so that is not a problem. Sure, it gets a little hot sometimes but not bad if you do it in the morning. Plus, it is a nice feeling not having to shell out the $$$ in the winter when they only cut it once or twice for the whole season. As far as initial investments... you can find all kinds of good deals on Craig's list, the for-sale forum in TOTV, or yard sales here in TV.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

if we weren't snowbirds we would do it ourselves just because a walk behind push mower gives a better cut and mostly because we would know that we weren't bringing any grass clippings into our lawn from somewhere else that might add to the damage winter frost can do to the lawn.

don't forget to add fertilizer expenses into your cost estimates. equipment can often be purchased at yard sales, thus reducing those expenses if thinking of buying new.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When we get there full time, I will be doing ours. Well Sweetie and I will probably take turns like we do here in Ohio.

It won't be near as much exercise but hey, every little bit counts.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
don't forget to add fertilizer expenses into your cost estimates.
Might be wrong... but I didn't think mowing company's fertilize the lawns also.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

They do not fertilize. You need another service for that. When I am there full time my first joy will be to fire Massey, then the lawn mowing service. I already moved a mower down there and a spreader to fertilize. And will do it all myself for as long as I can.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned
Default Do it yourself

These are all realatively small yards. I do my own plus some of my neighbors were feed up with mowing services so I do a couple others besides my own. It is great exercise and you don't have to pay for the exercise and a side benifit is not having to pay another contractor to do what you can do. I also fertilize, weed and do bug control. It all saves a minimun of 100.00/ month. It aint brain surgery. All this and you eliminate your gym fees too.

Look on craigs, this site and the advertiser on this site 4 sale ocala I think it is. You should find all you need for less than $200.00. If you are only doing your yard consider electric devices. They are always cheaper and have minimal maintenance.

Do the cutting in the morning. It's very easy.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage

When we get there full-time, I'll do it myself. That is, if "do it yourself" includes adding it to your honeydew list.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Gold member

We just got a Neuton Electric and for what we have now it works fine. We are going to downsize the lawn more with flower beds in the future. Compared to our last house with about an acre this is much easier.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

There are companies that do total lawn care. We use PTL and they mow,fertilize,weed,treat for pest inside and out and even trim the bushes. It is not cheap but they do a good job and we have been very satisfied with the services they provide.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default where do you store the mower?

So I am impressed with you all that do your own mowing and lawn care. My question is...where do you keep the mower and supplies? Do you have plenty of room in the garage for them?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Might be wrong... but I didn't think mowing company's fertilize the lawns also.
guess it depends who ya use

Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default We mow our lawn

Not only are you saving between $50 to $100/month, BUT, and this important, NO ONE cares more about your yard than you do....We bought our mower at John Deere self-propelled, they suggested raising mower to maximum, (4 in.) for St. Augustine....When we had a lawn service we found that they ZIPPED along, mowed and blowed in about 7-10 minutes, did hair-pin turns in yard with riding mowers causing worn areas....We mow early or late in evening when cooler and usually can finish in about an hour.....My husband applies Scott's Turf Builder, a light dusting once a month...Also need to water weak areas, and once a month yellow areas might need some iron..We also have Scott's check for those naughty bugs...I think the edging is probably the icing on the cake....Enjoy and hope you love the Villages like we do....
Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 PM

My husband mowed our lawn until about a year ago. He had to give it up because of skin cancer surgeries. He enjoyed mowing it, felt he got some exercise and the lawn always looked good. We have had lawn services since last July and our lawn has been in the worse shape. They rush the mowing, are sloppy about the trimming and always miss something. We paid $180.00 during the winter for no lawn service. My husband is thinking of going back to doing it himself.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

That is why we have a very low maintenance CYV. Had the grass and shrubs removed and replaced with rock and native plants that do not need trimmed or watered.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.