Lawn Mowing

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Bill, where there is a petcock, I do shut it off and let the engine run dry, but never went to the trouble of draining and spraying oil since I wasn't really storing it for a long winter, just a couple months at most. I just learned to start and run each motor every 4 or 5 weeks as the repair shop suggested. Now living here I only have a pressure cleaner to start every month. I keep a gal can with marine stabil in it and when it gets about 2 months old empty in into the cars gas tank.
Les, sounds like you've got a good plan!

Bill
Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Gold member
Default Ethanol phase seperation etc.

There is a remarkable product out there named K100 Gas treatment

Change is hard for most and I will not knock stable Star or any other products.

I will make this statement. Use K100 in your cars motorcycles scooters boats two stroke four stroke anything that stores gasoline and your ethanol fuel storage and performance problems are gone.

Wish I was here full time to demonstrate better for all you folks. The Villages Cart Store has seen the product demonstrated but has not opened up yet to sell it. Advanced Auto carries it

http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/stabilizer.html

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...ywordless-_-Ad

Last edited by CarGuys; 07-16-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: link
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforward View Post
There is a remarkable product out there named K100 Gas treatment.........Advanced Auto carries it

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...ywordless-_-Ad
FYI - Re: availability at Advance -

If I key in 32162 for the zip, it says "Call store" for ALL stores in the surrounding area. Sounds like they might not stock it everywhere.

Bill
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 PM

i chose STELLAR,
he does it all including fertilizer
Old 08-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Yes they do if you ask for the service.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Default Lawn mowing

I bought a mower for a couple hundred bucks eight years ago and a gas powered string trimmer and a gas powered blower. We live in a designer home with a fairly large lawn and too many shrubs. Takes about an hour to mow, trim, and blow. Has to been done once a week in the Summer but much less in the Winter. I like doing it. One of the only things that I have done in my life where I can see immediately when I am done.
If I were to win the lottery I would still do it. Don't like the big rider mowers making ruts in my lawn either. They seem to take the same path every time they mow. Only downside is finding someone to mow when we leave for a few weeks in the Summer but now have a guy to do that.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Another reason not to have ur lawn mowed by anyone but yourself is that the commercial outfits trim ur concrete borders around ur house. They go so fast with their edgers that they are constantly chipping my concrete. Sparks fly when they trim. I do it myself for all of the above reasons and would not have it any other way.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfly View Post
I bought a mower for a couple hundred bucks eight years ago and a gas powered string trimmer and a gas powered blower. We live in a designer home with a fairly large lawn and too many shrubs. Takes about an hour to mow, trim, and blow. Has to been done once a week in the Summer but much less in the Winter. I like doing it. One of the only things that I have done in my life where I can see immediately when I am done.
If I were to win the lottery I would still do it. Don't like the big rider mowers making ruts in my lawn either. They seem to take the same path every time they mow. Only downside is finding someone to mow when we leave for a few weeks in the Summer but now have a guy to do that.
Looking forward to cutting our grass again. We brought our self propelled lawn mower and gives me a little exercise and instant gratification too. I love trimming the bushes. Anyone remember Morticia on the Addams Family show?

We move into new home a week from tomorrow..Yay!!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Interesting thread!

I use Pri-G in all of my outdoor power equipment. I think it is much better then sta-bil. Far cheaper also, as one quart treats an unbelievable 512 gallons of gas. If everyone used stabilizer small engine repair shops would go out of business.

I am struggling with the mowing issue. I love to mow. Up here in NY I have 3 acres and mow with an exmark professional ZTR 52"mower. My Florida home has a much smaller yard, but still bigger then most. Currently I have a good lawn mowing service that mows, trims, edges and blows weekly and only charges me $55 per month at my Florida home. They are great guys.

For that price, I could hardly do it myself. I really do not have all that much room to store a good mower, etc.

I'll be selling my exmark before I move down there. My son is eying my Shindiawa trimmer, and my wife is telling me to sell my edger, etc,etc....

I just don't know. I'm only happy when working hard around the house, and have a hard time relaxing......

Frank
Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 AM

if any of you self-mowers want to move next door to me I'll slip you a few bucks to do mine too

not being there full time I have to use a service

we visited in August and there were huge brown patches, which they claimed was fungus and would cure itself

when we left, four weeks later, there was little improvement

so once their contract ends in March...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you can do it I would.
Also consider an electric(battery) mower. Might make the job a lot better as you will not have the noise of the mower.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
When we get there full-time, I'll do it myself. That is, if "do it yourself" includes adding it to your honeydew list.

This!!! I was thinking the very same thing. Love it, Pturner.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum member

Good to know that there are folks doing their own. I mow, fertilize and trim 1 1/2 acres here in VA and honestly I'm over it. That said I'm balking at paying someone $40 to $50 a month to mow a small lawn. If we buy down there I thinking about selling all my gas equipment and going all electric.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Sage

I know several people who mow their own lanwns, including a 74-yr old woman
Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Be careful about all electric. I had a Ryobi mower that the battery split after 5 months. Glad that home depot took it back for a full refund. I now have a gas Honda mower. I had problems with 2 different landscapers for different reasons & found that cutting my own lawn was very worthwhile, in peace of mind & getting the job properly done.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.