Whole house water filter installation

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Default Whole house water filter installation

I have a courtyard villa and am looking to install a whole house filter. I've done this up north with no problem because the incoming pipe is accessible. Where can I find the incoming water pipe to install this filter in a courtyard Villa? Anybody? Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Platinum member

I have no idea where the water comes into the house, but are you looking to install a filter or water softener? Does the water need filtering?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Gold member

I asked the builder's rep the same question when we had our walk through. He said they usually install them the same place water softeners are installed. In our designer it's in the garage where your water shut off valve is located. You have to use a couple of elbows because the pipes are in the wall. You need route them out of the wall so you can have access to the filter. They're plastic pipes so it doesn't look too difficult.
We're snowbirds too so I'll take care of this when we return to TV in the fall.
The reason for the whole house filter is the same reason I installed one up north. The water just tastes nasty. Up here it's chlorine. I don't know what it is in TV but I'm hoping the filter removes whatever is causing the off taste. A softener might work too but a whole house filter is way less expensive and easy to maintain.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Usually I don't think it tastes bad....but sometimes in really hot weather it seems like more bleach has been added to it. Same here in Cincinnati.

Maybe because those little microbes flouish in the heat.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Bleach??
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Bleach??
Well it smells bleachy. I know for sure it isn't Scotch.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned
Default Don't bother

After a few weeks the water here is tasty. You will get use to it. Really. Then water everywhere else tastes like crude.

That's the way it's been everywhere I have lived.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Gold member

No doubt that works for you. Many people in TV say the water tastes just fine to them. I've just never been able to get used to the chlorine taste, no matter where I've lived. I'm not sure what it is that I taste in TV water but I've been unable to get used to that either.
We bought a coffee maker with a filtration disc which helps in the mornings. Other times we drink bottled water.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Sage

Fergit the water. Drink the Kool aid.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We've been here about 6 weeks and I drink tap water. It tastes fine to me.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I keep a Brita filtered pitcher in the Fridge and the water tastes good to me, with lots less expense. I don't need to shower or wash my clothes with filtered water.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Banned
Default Original question

Blue, sorry got off the tract of your question. Our house has a panel in the garage. The cover snaps off and there is a whole house shut off valve behind the panel. That is where you can gain access to the incoming water line. I think the Villas have the same thing. It is real handy for snow birds when they leave for extended periods of time they can shut the water off to the house in case of a leak.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Gold member

In the villas that valve is in the garage ... between your windows, near the floor behind a panel.

Last edited by obxgal; 06-10-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zummy View Post
I have a courtyard villa and am looking to install a whole house filter. I've done this up north with no problem because the incoming pipe is accessible. Where can I find the incoming water pipe to install this filter in a courtyard Villa? Anybody? Thanks
If you want filtered water for drinking then you might want to consider installing an under sink in line filter connected to a dedicated tap (faucet or whatever) and another for the ice maker. I did it myself after getting all the needed material from Home Depot. (Or was it Lowe's? It was eight plus years ago.).

I didn't think a water softener was needed but I objected to the taste. My better half has no problem with the taste.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Default water filter

Thanks to all for their input. My issue is not taste, but clarity in my hot tub. I have had a hot tub in NY for 16 years and use Bromide tabs only and have not clarity problems, In Florida its a chemical nightmare. It starts with having to put a cloth filter over my tub filter for the 1st day of filtering. You should see what that looks like. If I didn't do that my tub filter would be a wreak. It looks like sludge. We are drinking that !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a shut off under a cover in the ground outside my garage window, not in the house. I guess I have to cut into the sheet rock to find the pipe entering the house. I imagine the filter would clog up in no time from my tub experience, so may not be worth the effort and water softener a potential.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.