Oil change intervals?

Old 05-03-2024, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

LOL!

read a very interesting repair mechanic's post about changing oil about 1 particular car: the owner never changed oil once in the greater than 5 years of ownership. Never once!

instead he just changed the filter every 2,000 miles and added oil.

The car was traded into the same dealership, the mechanic went to check inside the engine, and the engine had very little wear.

The most important point is using the best filter you can buy, as that is what keeps the oil clean in the engine and keeps the engine wear to a minimum. For low mileage driving, change the filter every 6 months and add oil.

On the very small coastwise tanker I worked for about 5 years, it had twin GM locomotive 2 stroke diesel engines. The oil was changed every three years in the shipyard. The oil was kept clean with a centrifuge oil cleaner and filters. not sure how often the filters were changed, but we had to be in port for a significant period of time in order to take an engine offline, as ships need to ready to leave the dock at any time. .

So don't go all oil change crazy when regular simple maintenance of the most important part of the lubrication system is required.

YMMV
Old 05-03-2024, 04:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
LOL!

read a very interesting repair mechanic's post about changing oil about 1 particular car: the owner never changed oil once in the greater than 5 years of ownership. Never once!

The car was traded into the same dealership, the mechanic went to check inside the engine, and the engine had very little wear.

The most important point is using the best filter you can buy, as that is what keeps the oil clean in the engine and keeps the engine wear to a minimum. For low mileage driving, change the filter every 6 months and add oil.

On the very small coastwise tanker I worked for about 5 years, it had twin GM locomotive 2 stroke diesel engines. The oil was changed every three years in the shipyard. The oil was kept clean with a centrifuge oil cleaner and filters. not sure how often the filters were changed, but we had to be in port for a significant period of time in order to take an engine offline, as ships need to ready to leave the dock at any time. .

So don't go all oil change crazy when regular simple maintenance of the most important part of the lubrication system is required.

YMMV
Might be possible with a top of engine oil filter.
Not possible to just change the filter without draining the oil if the filter is on the bottom.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

My 2009 Volvo XC60 lux has the oil changed once a year. I have never topped it up, or needed too.
What type of oil or filter the garage uses, I have not a clue.
It runs and sounds fine, been all over UK and Europe, and gets us from A to B without problems.
Modern oils and filters do not need frequent changes. That's all oil company BS.
10-12,000 miles between changes is fine for family cars.
Sports and supers, have their own problems.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:53 PM
Sage

There might be some cars where this is true but I have never seen one. Every car that I have owned has had the filter on the bottom of the engine and could be changed without draining the oil. For convenience, I typically remove the filter first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Might be possible with a top of engine oil filter.
Not possible to just change the filter without draining the oil if the filter is on the bottom.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
There might be some cars where this is true but I have never seen one. Every car that I have owned has had the filter on the bottom of the engine and could be changed without draining the oil.
Maybe.
I'll stick to my full synthetic with filter oil change for $30 once a year if I need it or not.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:00 PM
Sage

No "maybe" about it. Also, I never said I didn't change the oil when I changed the filter. Oil and filter change twice a year.

Quote:
Maybe.
I'll stick to my full synthetic with filter oil change for $30 once a year if I need it or not.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
No "maybe" about it. Also, I never said I didn't change the oil when I changed the filter. Oil and filter change twice a year.
I was responding to CoachKandSportsguys post about not changing the oil with filter, which seems silly.
I only put on 5000mls yr so figure once a year is plenty.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:11 PM
Sage

I agree. The filters I use are about $10 and I can buy Mobil 1 after a rebate for about $16 for 5 quarts so I don't see a lot of savings if you are changing the filter every 2k miles. If the engine took 15 quarts of oil then that might be another issue.

Quote:
I was responding to CoachKandSportsguys post about not changing the oil with filter, which seems silly.
I only put on 5000mls yr so figure once a year is plenty.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Can't hurt, low cost insurance.

The way to know for sure is to have a Blackstone oil analysis performed.

Thousands of people who have tested their oil shows data confirms manufactures recommendations are conservative and good enough for most people.
I have a 2024 Honda CRV I had Blackstone analyse my oil at 1,000 and 6,000 miles. I tried to copy the results but it didn't work. Anyway it showed there was crap in the oil from the factory.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I have a 2024 Honda CRV I had Blackstone analyse my oil at 1,000 and 6,000 miles. I tried to copy the results but it didn't work. Anyway it showed there was crap in the oil from the factory.
Common. Metal shavings from production can be found early on during break in period. Usually subsides over time
Old 05-03-2024, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
LOL!

YMMV
Yep, I’d follow that advice. You could probably do nothing and it would last 5 years? 90% don’t keep car than long anyway.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,497 Posts

Quote:
There might be some cars where this is true but I have never seen one. Every car that I have owned has had the filter on the bottom of the engine and could be changed without draining the oil. For convenience, I typically remove the filter first.
Some manufacturers New engines has oil filter on top of intake manifold in cheap plastic housing with tiny canister filter and cheap plastic cap. Kia’s and their sister manufacturer for sure.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Porsche has oil refineries?
I wouldn't if I were them.

Pennsylvania oil is made from spoiled dinosaurs.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Pennsylvania oil is made from spoiled dinosaurs.
OMG! another uninformed opinion. . .

Crude oil is NOT from dinosaurs. .

Scientifically Crude oil is the earth's lubrication fluid which separates the molten core from the mantle, which allows the earth to spin frictionlessly for days and nights.

once enough oil is pumped out of the subterranean reservoirs, the days and nights will become longer as the earth's rotation begins to slow.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Remember the Slant 6 engine (Dodge/Chrysler)?
So durable and indestructible it would run with no oil....or pancake syrup!
I had one of those (a '69 Dodge Dart) in my first car. It certainly was indestructible!

-Tom Petty

Tags
oil, engine, vvt, months, imo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.