Oil change intervals?

Old 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Of course they tell you to change the oil every 12 months even if your mileage was low. They are in the business of selling oil, filters and/or oil change services! It's like the shampoo directions that tell you to lather up, rinse, and then repeat. You don't need to repeat the shampoo and you don't need to change your oil (especially when using synthetic) for at least 7500 miles. It's a foolish and unnecessary waste of money to do it more often.
I’m stubborn nobody tells me anything. I make my own decisions.

So I see you didn’t read the articles or watch utube video.

Go head leave it in longer, probably trade in 3 years anyway so won’t make difference. You have control do what you want.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I drive about 7,500 miles per year. Just this morning, I got a synthetic oil change and I will get the next one after another 7,500 miles. I used Wildwood Tire and it cost $78. That is the only vehicle maintenance that I do, except to replace tires, brakes, and windshield wipers. My vehicle has 53,000 miles, and I have never even read the recommended maintenance schedule because I think it is overkill.
Don’t matter if you trade every 3 or 4 years, you could do nothing and it wouldn’t make difference. It be second owners problem.. bet you didn’t watch the Toyota mechanic utube Video either.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:19 AM

Another reason to drive an EV
Old 03-19-2024, 05:02 AM

I change my vehicle with conventional oil every 3,000 miles and my newer F150 with synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Never had any issues. Always change the filter at the time of the oil change.

My vehicle has never sat idle for 12 months (or driven less than 3,000 miles in that time), but I also, subscribe to the belief that oil should be changed at least every 12 months. It’s a relatively inexpensive insurance policy given that some car engines now cost upwards of $10,000 to replace.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:41 AM

Even if you don’t drive it often taking it out on a road with a higher speed limit occasionally will help keep it clean. The old Italian tuneup method
Old 03-19-2024, 06:24 AM

Ever hear of an oil related failure? Here's my opinion on oil change interval. I think many spend a lot more than necessary on unneeded maintenance.

Today's engines along with current oil formulations easily tolerate even the worst abuse from extended use of oil. As long as there is sufficient oil in the crankcase you are unlikely to see any type of failure from not changing oil regularly. Nothing wrong with changing oil frequently if you want to spend the money on unnecessary maintenance, but even manufacturers recommendations have greatly increased time / milage. Every 3,000 miles or 6 months has increased to every 7,500 or 1 yr for non synthetic and much longer for synthetic.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Years back with my Porsche, I think it was 15,000 miles between oil changes using synthetic. Porsche’s back then had 9-10 quarts of oil, plus you drove the car a little harder which is actually better for the car and the oil. A bigger deal back then and even now is to change your filter every 5000 miles if you are going to wait to change your oil every 10-15,000 miles.
The worst thing you can do to your car is use it to drive a few blocks to the store or to a rec center which will never get your engine hot enough to get the oil hot to burn off any condensation. I had a v8 truck 50 years ago and drove it 1 mile to work. After 1000 miles when looking at the dipstick, there was white gunk all over it. This is what will kill your engine.
Most new cars have engine stat screens that show when you should change your oil, I’ve been using these instead of the odometer. Check out if your car has an ‘oil life monitoring’ system and use that instead of using miles.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Unless you test the oil, you really don't know.

Here's a Blackstone analysis on a Corvette Z06 after 12K mi between a change.

12,000 miles is a pretty long run compared to the average LS6, but this engine handled & with ease.
The data in the rightmost column shows results for the LS6 at an average oil run length of 3,800 miles. Your data at 12k ali came in at comparabie levels, implying much better than average wear rates. There's nothing to worry about in these results. The oil held up weil to the longer run, showing correct viscosity and no sign of fuel or coolant contamination, and both oil and air fitration lock fine. Bump the interval up to 14,000 miles next time and check back.

MI/HR on Oil
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7548.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	103390  
Old 03-19-2024, 07:34 AM

My wife has a 2018 Lexus NX300 with 82000 miles, she drove about 40 miles one way to work everyday, so they were easy highway miles. I have a 2022 Toyota Tacoma with 57000 miles. I was in sales before I retired so I drove about 24k per year.

On both vehicles we run synthetic oil and go by the vehicles computer. When it says to change oil, we do it. That is what the dealer recommended.

Now that we're retired and her Lexus sits for six months in Indiana, I'll probably change it once a year.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sorry don’t understand, what’s your question?
Old 03-19-2024, 08:51 AM
Post Oil Change

Most mechanics in new car franchises are paid by piece work. Oil changes there are like 10 minute oil change locations. They are done by the same person who does nothing but drain oil.
Good mechanics do repair work, the oil changers wash cars and keep the shop floor clean.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
I get the free oil change at the dealer once a year with only 3-5 K on the odometer each time.
I do too. But the dealer for my car is in Connecticut, where I bought it. The dealer down here doesn't honor that deal. So I bring mine to the tire store at 441/Griffin. They do the oil change, give me a new spark plug, rotate the tires, top off the windshield wiper fluid, for something like $80 using synthetic or synthetic blend (I can't ever keep that straight). Pennzoil also has occasional rebate offers, so if they have it I pick up the coupon there at the store, turn it in, and get a visa pre-loaded card with $40 on it.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Ever hear of an oil related failure? Here's my opinion on oil change interval. I think many spend a lot more than necessary on unneeded maintenance.

Today's engines along with current oil formulations easily tolerate even the worst abuse from extended use of oil. As long as there is sufficient oil in the crankcase you are unlikely to see any type of failure from not changing oil regularly. Nothing wrong with changing oil frequently if you want to spend the money on unnecessary maintenance, but even manufacturers recommendations have greatly increased time / milage. Every 3,000 miles or 6 months has increased to every 7,500 or 1 yr for non synthetic and much longer for synthetic.
Yup, I lost my first Ford Explorer to failure. Thing is, I should've "checked the oil" every couple of gas fill-ups. Because I didn't do that, and waited for the low oil light to go on, I didn't realize there was a problem. Turns out, I had holes. When they cleaned it up, the holes were unplugged, and the leakage became significant. Engine seized, had to replace the engine. A rebuild and the labor would've cost more than I paid for the vehicle, so I traded it in for another. Turned out THAT one was a lemon, and I sold it to some guy I worked for cheap just to get rid of it.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post

So, you work in auto repair field and never heard of oil repaired failure? You can bet 99% was due to lack of maintenance from people who never check or change oil.

Did you read the Mobil one LIMITED warranty. After one year you’re on you own. Did you watch the video what Toyota mechanic had to say? Sure you leave in as long as you want as long as you know where dipstick is. IMO the problem arises when some go by oil indicators percentage and never check oil that keep vehicle over 6 or so years. That’s when lack of oil changes/checking starts coking process. Agree you can do nothing if you trade every few years. I bet there no oil manufacture recommendations longer than 1 year? Why cause oil start breaking down due to heat cycles. Sure you can oil tested but eventually that defeats cost oil change. Commercial trucking different, over road driving different. When vehicles takes gallons of oil cost effective to have it tested.

This was not started for people has has some knowledge on oil changes and internals and know where dip stick is. . It for one’s that go strictly by oil life cycle on dash which in my case could take 3 or more years of stop and go driving to reach recommended limit on oil life. Plus the oil manufacture don’t recommend longer than 1 year. If you check oil occasionally and trade within few years you will probably never experience VVT rattle or stuck piston rings cause it takes years of neglect to cause those problems.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
Most mechanics in new car franchises are paid by piece work. Oil changes there are like 10 minute oil change locations. They are done by the same person who does nothing but drain oil.
Good mechanics do repair work, the oil changers wash cars and keep the shop floor clean.
Agree and most have turnover and little training process starts all over?

And some (not all) don’t check level oil after that change it and over fill it which I have experienced several times at dealer, trust but verify IMO. Why I change my own oil now. Last time I had my oil changed at dealership here they over filled it by 3/4 of quart. My car holds 4.2 quarts and they dumped in 5 quarts probably using the spigot pump out of 55 gallon drum of cheapest oil the could could buy? If I got to crawl under car and drain out overfilled oil change I just well do it my self.

Tags
oil, engine, vvt, months, imo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.