Oil change intervals?

Old 03-19-2024, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Sorry don’t understand, what’s your question?
Check your dip stick if you know where it is?
Old 03-19-2024, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Another reason to drive an EV
I wonder when 737 going EV? Like NEVER
Old 03-19-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I wonder when 737 going EV? Like NEVER
Let’s see how many oil changes can I do vs cost of battery pack?
Old 03-19-2024, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
My wife has a 2018 Lexus NX300 with 82000 miles, she drove about 40 miles one way to work everyday, so they were easy highway miles. I have a 2022 Toyota Tacoma with 57000 miles. I was in sales before I retired so I drove about 24k per year.

On both vehicles we run synthetic oil and go by the vehicles computer. When it says to change oil, we do it. That is what the dealer recommended.

Now that we're retired and her Lexus sits for six months in Indiana, I'll probably change it once a year.
So you determined vehicle stop and go driving differently for over road every day driving miles are racked up quickly and over road driving (except towing) lot easier on engine and transmission. Which exactly what recommended and this post about.

bad about vehicle setting the oil additive molecules will eventually separate which usually takes years. Why the recommend don’t use oil (any OIL) over 5 years old.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I do too. But the dealer for my car is in Connecticut, where I bought it. The dealer down here doesn't honor that deal. So I bring mine to the tire store at 441/Griffin. They do the oil change, give me a new spark plug, rotate the tires, top off the windshield wiper fluid, for something like $80 using synthetic or synthetic blend (I can't ever keep that straight). Pennzoil also has occasional rebate offers, so if they have it I pick up the coupon there at the store, turn it in, and get a visa pre-loaded card with $40 on it.
They put in new spark plugs with every oil change?
Old 03-19-2024, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

I have a 25 year old lawn mower that still runs great that I have never changed the oil. I just top it up every year. I usually change my oil in my cars after 25,000 miles and have never had a problem.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
They put in new spark plugs with every oil change?
You caught that too and I have to ask

Why? spark plugs can go 100K plus miles unless you have oil burner from not checking dip stick or GDI engine that dilutes oil with gas. On v6 or v8 engines spark plugs are really hard to change and opens up chances for problems you never had. These cars nowadays not your grandfather flat head.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Why? spark plugs can go 100K plus miles unless you have oil burner from not checking dip stick or GDI engine that dilutes oil with gas. On v6 or v8 engines spark plugs are really hard to change and opens up chances for problems you never had.
Yes, I know.
I was directing the question to OBB.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I have a 25 year old lawn mower that still runs great that I have never changed the oil. I just top it up every year. I usually change my oil in my cars after 25,000 miles and have never had a problem.
Yet! That’s not question.

Please disclose that disclaimer when you trade or sell the car I’m sure get top dollar for it as for you lawn mower who cares? Besides you probably have your yard done by landscapers.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Yes, I know.
I was directing the question to OBB.
I edited after the bell when off… I know I’m slow sometimes
Old 03-19-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

When changing your oil, I would suggest using synthetic oil, even if the manufacturer doesn't require it. It doesn't cost much more, it is more durable, and you may end up spending less for oil changes long term because you can extend the time between changes.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
So you determined vehicle stop and go driving differently for over road every day driving miles are racked up quickly and over road driving (except towing) lot easier on engine and transmission. Which exactly what recommended and this post about.

bad about vehicle setting the oil additive molecules will eventually separate which usually takes years. Why the recommend don’t use oil (any OIL) over 5 years old.
I was just saying thats how we do it. We were told by the Lexus dealer where she bought it new, that the computer accounts for the type of driving you do and adjusts the oil change mileage accordingly. So we just go by that, and it's worked well so far on both vehicles.

For cars that sit idle for long periods, I really don't know.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:

Sure you can oil tested but eventually that defeats cost oil change.
A Blackstone oil analysis is $35, far less than unnecessary oil changes.

It can provide early warning off developing problems long before they cause an expensive headache.

You'll be able to pick up on contamination or impending bearing or ringland failure with a high presence of wear metals.

I generally use them a few times on each new vehicle to gauge health of the engine, how it likes the particular oil used, and if it need to be changed prior to mfg recommendations.

I do it again six months prior to the car going out of warranty.

Let hard data tell you what you need to know about what’s going in inside your engine.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
A Blackstone oil analysis is $35, far less than unnecessary oil changes.

It can provide early warning off developing problems long before they cause an expensive headache.

You'll be able to pick up on contamination or impending bearing or ringland failure with a high presence of wear metals.

I generally use them a few times on each new vehicle to gauge health of the engine, how it likes the particular oil used, and if it need to be changed prior to mfg recommendations.

I do it again six months prior to the car going out of warranty.

Let hard data tell you what you need to know about what’s going in inside your engine.
Sure if you’re paying someone to change oil.

Changed my oil cost me 32 bucks with 0-20W/filter and 20 mins, less if I wasn’t so old and my car wasn’t so low to ground.

You are not ones trying to reach it’s ones that never check oil level or wait for idiot “change engine oil soon” to light up to get to 10% That may take years? But, don’t matter anyway cause 99% of them lease or trade every two or three years.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Sure if you’re paying someone to change oil.

Changed my oil cost me 32 bucks with 0-20W/filter and 20 mins, less if I wasn’t so old and my car wasn’t so low to ground.

You are not ones trying to reach it’s ones that never check oil level or wait for idiot “change engine oil soon” to light up to get to 10% That may take years? But, don’t matter anyway cause 99% of them lease or trade every two or three years.
A Z06 with dry sump takes ten liters so different story ;-)

Many may be paying-$100-150+ for the dealer to change their oil.

12 mo or 10K mi always seemed hard for me to believe. I like data, a UOA on an Audi (turbo) recommended 7,500 mi oil change when doing UOA testing oil at 5K. Mfg recommend is 10K.

So I would never let a turbo charged motor go more than 5K without an oil change.

The one fluid that most nobody changes is brake fluid which needs to flushed every couple of years.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture out of the air. Not good for modern ABS systems that can cost thousands to replace.

YMMV

Last edited by Altavia; 03-19-2024 at 07:55 PM.

Tags
oil, engine, vvt, months, imo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.