Oil change intervals?

Old 03-19-2024, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I have a 25 year old lawn mower that still runs great that I have never changed the oil. I just top it up every year. I usually change my oil in my cars after 25,000 miles and have never had a problem.
Back in the 70’s I had a VW bug that leaked about a quart of oil a week. I parked it over a drainage grate in the road so it didn’t stain the road. Added a quart of oil every week and never changed it. The thing ran forever despite my lack of proper maintenance. Paid $800 for it and sold it for $750 8 years later. Good first ride : )
Old 03-19-2024, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Back in the 70’s I had a VW bug that leaked about a quart of oil a week. I parked it over a drainage grate in the road so it didn’t stain the road. Added a quart of oil every week and never changed it. The thing ran forever despite my lack of proper maintenance. Paid $800 for it and sold it for $750 8 years later. Good first ride : )

I had 3 year old Vega changed it own oil also in Texas 79, I paid 650 for it to get me work 3 miles. it had the most crappy engine ever made. Kind of wish I would have kept it, they make neat drag cars with BBC and power glide.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yup, I lost my first Ford Explorer to failure. Thing is, I should've "checked the oil" every couple of gas fill-ups. Because I didn't do that, and waited for the low oil light to go on, I didn't realize there was a problem. Turns out, I had holes. When they cleaned it up, the holes were unplugged, and the leakage became significant. Engine seized, had to replace the engine. A rebuild and the labor would've cost more than I paid for the vehicle, so I traded it in for another. Turned out THAT one was a lemon, and I sold it to some guy I worked for cheap just to get rid of it.
That was a failure due to a lack of oil in the engine, Not a failure from break down of the oil.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, you work in auto repair field and never heard of oil repaired failure? You can bet 99% was due to lack of maintenance from people who never check or change oil.

Did you read the Mobil one LIMITED warranty. After one year you’re on you own. Did you watch the video what Toyota mechanic had to say? Sure you leave in as long as you want as long as you know where dipstick is. IMO the problem arises when some go by oil indicators percentage and never check oil that keep vehicle over 6 or so years. That’s when lack of oil changes/checking starts coking process. Agree you can do nothing if you trade every few years. I bet there no oil manufacture recommendations longer than 1 year? Why cause oil start breaking down due to heat cycles. Sure you can oil tested but eventually that defeats cost oil change. Commercial trucking different, over road driving different. When vehicles takes gallons of oil cost effective to have it tested.

This was not started for people has has some knowledge on oil changes and internals and know where dip stick is. . It for one’s that go strictly by oil life cycle on dash which in my case could take 3 or more years of stop and go driving to reach recommended limit on oil life. Plus the oil manufacture don’t recommend longer than 1 year. If you check oil occasionally and trade within few years you will probably never experience VVT rattle or stuck piston rings cause it takes years of neglect to cause those problems.
You don't need to change your oil every 3 months but that doesn't mean wait 3 years to change your oil.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Another reason to drive an EV
Until you have to change the batteries. Changing oil is much cheaper.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Have been buying Camrys for past 30 years. With regular oil had it changed every 3000 miles now with synthetic just about 5000.

This way a mechanic can give it a good onceover to help prevent problems and have noticed get well over 100,000 miles on the car.

Cheap insurance
same here Stu, the CarDoctor said i need to change every 3 months or 3,000 miles. are we incorrect?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
You don't need to change your oil every 3 months but that doesn't mean wait 3 years to change your oil.
/////
Old 03-20-2024, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
That was a failure due to a lack of oil in the engine, Not a failure from break down of the oil.
And probably lack of checking the dip stick?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,480 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Until you have to change the batteries. Changing oil is much cheaper.
Still waiting to hear about the first person who has had to change lithium batteries due to their wearing out.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-20-2024, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When changing your oil, I would suggest using synthetic oil, even if the manufacturer doesn't require it. It doesn't cost much more, it is more durable, and you may end up spending less for oil changes long term because you can extend the time between changes.
Most all vehicles in last 10 years require full synthetic oil. I think only ford recommends their motorcraft synthetic blend in some of them?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Still waiting to hear about the first person who has had to change lithium batteries due to their wearing out.
Still waiting on cost too. Maybe some Prius owners can chime in? I bet the traded them before new batteries which is smaller pack beings it hybrid? If EVs take off eventually there will be repair centers for batteries which may cut cost in half or less of new pack. Time will tell if hydrogen engines don’t take over markets.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,480 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
Still waiting on cost too. Maybe some Prius owners can chime in? I bet the traded them before new batteries which is smaller pack beings it hybrid? If EVs take off eventually there will be repair centers for batteries which may cut cost in half or less of new pack. Time will tell if hydrogen engines don’t take over markets.
At six years and 200K miles we traded our Prius; it was time for a new vehicle.

With millions of EVs on the road today and thousands of electric carts in the Villages and elsewhere, just what constitutes "taking off"? What will it take for the naysayers to accept that the boogeyman of battery-replacement cost is a non-starter?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-20-2024, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,899 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Most all vehicles in last 10 years require full synthetic oil. I think only ford recommends their motorcraft synthetic blend in some of them?
I have a Ford, but I use synthetic oil. I think some people don't realize that synthetic oil is really not much more expensive than conventional oil anymore, especially if you extend the time and mileage between oil changes.

Recently, I got a synthetic oil change at Wildwood Tire for $78. They don't suggest another oil change for 10,000 miles, but I will probably do it after 7,500 miles, which will be about one year.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a Ford, but I use synthetic oil. I think some people don't realize that synthetic oil is really not much more expensive than conventional oil anymore, especially if you extend the time and mileage between oil changes.

Recently, I got a synthetic oil change at Wildwood Tire for $78. They don't suggest another oil change for 10,000 miles, but I will probably do it after 7,500 miles, which will be about one year.
You're right about synthetic oil. When I was working I was in outside sales and drove over 50k a year. I had a new Toyota Tacoma at that time. I always ran Mobil 1 synthetic and went 12000 on an oil change. At 200k miles I sold it and it still ran like new and used no oil.

Last edited by MX rider; 03-21-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
At six years and 200K miles we traded our Prius; it was time for a new vehicle.

With millions of EVs on the road today and thousands of electric carts in the Villages and elsewhere, just what constitutes "taking off"? What will it take for the naysayers to accept that the boogeyman of battery-replacement cost is a non-starter?

What few million compared to billion. A few.

Tags
oil, engine, vvt, months, imo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.