Oil change intervals?

Old 05-05-2024, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Common. Metal shavings from production can be found early on during break in period. Usually subsides over time
True, which is why I changed it at the first 1,000 miles. Every 5,000 miles is about 6 months for me, so twice a year is about right. BTW, I plan on changing the CVT oil at about 30,000 miles. Why? Because lifetime CVT oil is a myth. The car company wants to sell you a new car at about 60-100k.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,018 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I had one of those (a '69 Dodge Dart) in my first car. It certainly was indestructible!
When I was young man I used work in junk (salvage yard) about every Saint six in junk yard had big hole in rear area of block at main bearing, when they did fail from LACK of maintenance they exploded. They along with ford 240/300 and Chevy blue flame was pretty much indestructible IF owners had sense to change/check oil?
Old 05-05-2024, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
LOL, you might do the math on that one. A $69 oil change once a year x 10 years is $699 minimum. If you do more driving then it will be higher and don’t forget all the other “schedule maintenance” which may put you at that replacement battery cost. I heard for the Prius that is around $2K? I’m sure it’s more for a Tesla but how long do you actually keep your car anyhow?

Prius hybrid battery pack is smaller so naturally smaller pack in most cases cost less. But maybe not with sharpe rise in materials to make battery packs now?
Old 05-05-2024, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,348 Times in 4,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
When I was young man I used work in junk (salvage yard) about every Saint six in junk yard had big hole in rear area of block at main bearing, when they did fail from LACK of maintenance they exploded. They along with ford 240/300 and Chevy blue flame was pretty much indestructible IF owners had sense to change/check oil?
Never said I didn't change the oil...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-05-2024, 08:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
In that era people changed the oil over a sewer drain or dumped it in the yard. But then again, my teachers smoked in the building then too.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Never said you didn’t
Old 05-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
OMG! another uninformed opinion. . .

Crude oil is NOT from dinosaurs. .

Scientifically Crude oil is the earth's lubrication fluid which separates the molten core from the mantle, which allows the earth to spin frictionlessly for days and nights.

once enough oil is pumped out of the subterranean reservoirs, the days and nights will become longer as the earth's rotation begins to slow.
I Know! Right?

The high pitch squealing noise from drying earth bearings will be intolerable...Worse than Cicadas. The oceans will boil and we will all burn to death from heat caused by the higher friction within 12 years if we don't stop oil!

Yours, whether you like it or not,
- AOC

Old 05-06-2024, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,348 Times in 4,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Never said you didn’t
Responding to my post the way you did most certainly implied that....

-Tom Petty
Old 05-06-2024, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,991 Times in 766 Posts

Talking from experience when in the Military we did fuel oil dilution daily, lub oil analysis weekly in the ship's lab. Oil was only changed when solids were found that were not removed sufficiently with oil strainers, filters and centrifugal purifier. When fuel oil dilution reached 10% oil was changed since it doesn't evaporate only changes viscosity of oil to a thinner grade. Transferred to a smaller patrol boat that had no space available except to check fuel oil dilution. Monthly samples were sent to company that would give anyalsys of oil condition, when we completed recommend oil change a sample of new oil was sent to set base line without that you don't know what's going in engine or additives in refining, old school straight 30w.
The worse you can do with diesel or gas engine is idling for extended periods.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,991 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I have a 2024 Honda CRV I had Blackstone analyse my oil at 1,000 and 6,000 miles. I tried to copy the results but it didn't work. Anyway it showed there was crap in the oil from the factory.
Talking from experience when in the Military we did fuel oil dilution daily, lub oil analysis weekly in the ship's lab. Oil was only changed when solids were found that were not removed sufficiently with oil strainers, filters and centrifugal purifier. When fuel oil dilution reached 10% oil was changed since it doesn't evaporate only changes viscosity of oil to a thinner grade. Transferred to a smaller patrol boat that had no space available except to check fuel oil dilution. Monthly samples were sent to company that would give anyalsys of oil condition, when we completed recommend oil change a sample of new oil was sent to set base line without that you don't know what's going in engine or additives in refining, old school straight 30w.
The worse you can do with diesel or gas engine is idling for extended periods.

Tags
oil, engine, vvt, months, imo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.