Opinion on sealing shower tile and grout

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Default Opinion on sealing shower tile and grout

We want to seal our entire shower tile/grout area and are wondering if any of you can recommend the best products to use as we are attempting to do this ourselves. We are hoping that by sealing the tile and grout that the shower will drain easier and we won't have to run the fan as long or squeege the sides and floors every time we shower.

I will be interested to hear from any and all of you as to how your tile sealing job turned out, and if you had any issues with doing it yourself.
Are you happy with the results? Please tell me about what products you used.

We are also considering sealing all tile areas. Does anyone recommend this?
thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Bosoxfan

Just had a house built & talked to our builder about this very thing. He said sealing any tile is not necessary.Sealing any tile changes the color of the grout & the tile (darker) & it makes it hard to match should there be a need to replace a broken tile.In the showers he recommends scrubbing bubbles for cleaning.On the floors he says only water,we use a steamer.Make sure if you steam it the dirty water is either soaked up or vacuumed.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Gold member

I myself, would not use a sealer. The only time water can get in between tile and grout, if there is a crack or hole. You can patch grout areas as needed if you have same color grout. Usually the bad areas are where the floor and wall meet together.I myself, every year or so, rip out the old caulking between wall and floor, clean it real good (and let dry overnight) and then re-caulk nice and evenly (and let dry again overnight) Good to go!!!! I like using Ka-Boom to clean soap off of tiles, and the bar of soap is always put on a folded wash cloth, so the soap does not drip down wall, or drop to floor. I'm sure you will get other ideas from good people out there
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM

I used a tile grout sealer on both tile showers. Picked up a clear sealer at Home Depot and it works great. We have squeegees and rent.

When I visited in May I noticed a dark spot on a small piece of grout after I showered; it was an spot that I missed sealing. I say go ahead and seal the tile grout!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.