Over the counter microwave replacement

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Default microwave

What is it with the microwave replacements? Our home is only 6 years old and before we bought it was rented and really not lived in full time. We just had to replace ours too...wish I had known about home depot .Probably would have saved some $$
Lynn..can't wait for April to be back...in the ice and snow here in Ct
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Buying the unit was worse than shopping a mattress. Very hard to compare. The same manufacturer has same models with multiple suffixes. It's almost impossible to determine the differences. Different retailers stock different models. So I went online. One search showed 379 or so different models. Unbelievable. Then the ratings and customer complaints online were numerous. "It didn't work out of the box, it died in one year, it died in two years etc". I checked warranties and found that LG warrants the magnetometer 10 years, GE 5 years and most every other manufacturer 1 year. Thinking the 5 and 10 year warranted units were the way to go, I found complaints that the warranties covered the part only. Labor could cost up top $200. So after much grinding of teeth, We bought a Kenmore. I think Sears would be easier to do battle with if needed than GE or the other brands. Then the fun began. All over the counter units are higher than the one I was replacing so the new one would overlap the tiled backsplash. How do you resolve that? I thought of a piece of plywood over the drywall to make up for the tile thickness, and also cutting the tile. Cutting was out of the question. I finally used metal washers on the new frame bringing it out about 5/16 of an inch. That worked well. The other issue I had was the back wall template was supposed to butt up against the upper cabinet. That wouldn't work because the area above the microwave is recessed and the frame for the unit had to be moved down and the upper template had to be adjusted because the unit was moved forward to compensate for the backsplash. It's now installed and functioning. Kept me busy for awhile.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Sage

One word... sheesh! Wow, that turned into a big job. It's Miller time
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Miller time is on.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

You will probably need tow persons ...BUT there is a way to replace the microwave or a disposal for that matter with one person.

Just get the tire jack from your care and a couple pieces of wood scraps from a new construction area. Use the jack to hold the unit in place while you remove it and then again when you install a new one. Easy ....
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM

nice info, it really inspire
The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.