Paint removal help

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Unhappy Paint removal help

Ok so you all know I am a little dim at times. I was painting to spruce up the walls in prep to sell. I had a cheap throw away roller cover. I put it out in the flower bed on the dirt on a newspaper to dry so I could throw it away and forgot about it. Went out that side to throw it out and a cat had rolled it down the concrete walk. so now I have a couple big paint marks and cat prints running down the walk. I tried scrubbing them off without luck any suggestions. Oh it's latex but bathroom paint so high solids.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran member

If you have paint thinner, you could put a small amount down and dab it up with paper towels or rags. If no paint thinner, any acetone should work, even nail polish remover.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

I suspect that paint thinner won't work on latex paint. They make a product called Paint remover that should work. Check Sherwin williams or home depot or Lowes. I bet a phone call to each would be the easiest.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If it is Latex and nothing else works, just scrub the heck out of it with a scrub brush and some thing like scouring powder, since it's on a sidewalk.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Gold member

Power washer...(on the concrete, not the cat)
Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Power washer...(on the concrete, not the cat)
funny
Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

This will be a bit tricky ... but should be do'able.

Solvents like mineral spirits, acetone or lacquer thinner will have little impact on latex paint. Especially the acrylic types (which I suspect this is).

I would use a product called Citrus Strip, it is user friendly (no harmful chemicals) and works well. It is available in both a gel and an aerosol at Wallyworld and either Lowes or Home Depot.

While the concrete is still cool (as in early am) apply it thickly and cover with plastic (this will keep it from drying out and remain active) and let it work for 45 mins to an hour. Then wipe it us and see were you are. If need be, you can reapply and scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Keep working it and I am sure you can get it up. Do not be afraid to reapply, cover, let it work and scrub more.

Good luck and btw ... how deep did you bury the cat? ;-)
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
This will be a bit tricky ... but should be do'able.

Solvents like mineral spirits, acetone or lacquer thinner will have little impact on latex paint. Especially the acrylic types (which I suspect this is).

I would use a product called Citrus Strip, it is user friendly (no harmful chemicals) and works well. It is available in both a gel and an aerosol at Wallyworld and either Lowes or Home Depot.

While the concrete is still cool (as in early am) apply it thickly and cover with plastic (this will keep it from drying out and remain active) and let it work for 45 mins to an hour. Then wipe it us and see were you are. If need be, you can reapply and scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Keep working it and I am sure you can get it up. Do not be afraid to reapply, cover, let it work and scrub more.

Good luck and btw ... how deep did you bury the cat? ;-)
Thanks I tried mineral spirits etc. Tried the pressure washer and if I tune it up enough to get the paint it loosens the aggregate. So this gel sounds like the ticket.
Have no Idea which neighbor owns the cat as there are streams or streets between my self and all others but she is under my shrubs most days, always looks at me like "what are you doing here?"
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Someone once spray painted my car. WD40 was my salvation. Did not harm the finish!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

If you have access to a pressure washer, it will remove fresh paint, chemical free.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
If you have access to a pressure washer, it will remove fresh paint, chemical free.

From post #8

"Tried the pressure washer and if I tune it up enough to get the paint it loosens the aggregate"
Old 09-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Try a wirer brush it work on rust in driveway should work on paint. Im a painter and that works. Rocky's Painting
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.