painting garage floor

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Default painting garage floor

Has anyone used Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 1-Gal. Semigloss 2-Part Epoxy Garage-Floor Coating Kit to cover their garage floor. How did it turn out? Pro,s con.s ? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

There are many options with Garage Floors. Cover with nothing, Paint etc. We chose tiles Diamond Garage Floor Tile | True Lock 6 Lock System | GarageFlooringLLC.com. After 5 years, you would think they were placed yesterday. Not cheap but for a lifetime. They snap in place.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
There are many options with Garage Floors. Cover with nothing, Paint etc. We chose tiles Diamond Garage Floor Tile | True Lock 6 Lock System | GarageFlooringLLC.com. After 5 years, you would think they were placed yesterday. Not cheap but for a lifetime. They snap in place.
may I ask approximate cost - will have a two car garage with a half bay - golf cart garage attached.. thank you in advance.
Originally from Maine & Virginia
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Website says $2.40/sq ft.+ Shipping for the diamond tile. My experience with epoxy coatings is that floor prep and storing anything on the floor is the hardest part of it. If oil stains are present you run the risk of car tires lifting the epoxy in that area. It does look great and is a lower cost option for a DYI . Approx. $160 with prep chemicals for. 2 car garage.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Default garage and or lanai floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Hi would like to cover my garage and lanai in one of these products, but am not a DIY guy. Any ideas who would install? Thanks Tom
Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccampana View Post
Has anyone used Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 1-Gal. Semigloss 2-Part Epoxy Garage-Floor Coating Kit to cover their garage floor. How did it turn out? Pro,s con.s ? Thanks.
Used a similar product from Lowe's. Be sure to wash the floor well and mitigate any oil stains like one poster said..our house was new so no problem. Put it down 8 years ago and still looks like new. Cost is probably now $150
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM

We used the Rust-Oleum product last summer on our garage floor here at our PA house. It looks great but we did have a small problem with it. We have a 3 bay/car garage. Because we also used the sparkles, our painter had to paint small sections then throw the sparkles and move on to another section. He was able to complete to 2 bays in one day. He returned the next day and completed the job. On day 3 and 4, I noticed that the paint looked like it was a different color in the third bay...I was sure they had mixed a different color but we bought all the paint at the same time. After a conversation between our painter, Lowe's and a rep from Rust-Oleum, it was decided that is was the difference in the humidity between the two days that caused the color difference. Who knew? Rust-Oleum reimbursed us for the product we used with no hassle due to the fact that it does not state on the can that humidity would be a factor in color difference. We used the wheat color with brown sparkles and it does look nice. We also added sand to the paint to prevent slipping. Good luck with your project!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Just a warning, the garage floors in the new homes being built are super smooth. I slipped twice and one was a flop right down. It was raining out both times and I went from the wet to the dry garage floor and you know the rest .
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Just a warning, the garage floors in the new homes being built are super smooth. I slipped twice and one was a flop right down. It was raining out both times and I went from the wet to the dry garage floor and you know the rest .
There was a thread a couple weeks ago, Slippery when wet, that talked about a product called Safe Grip that you mop or spray on tile. Don't know, but maybe that would work on your garage floor.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It's all about the prep. Do that well and the job turns out great. Do it poor and you have issues. I have had or have done four garage floors. My VA home was the biggest challenge. 35 years of cracks, grease, stains etc. Rust-O-ileum also makes a product for patching cracks. A two part epoxy mix that fills the cracks. I had one really bad crack that I had to take a sledge hammer and break out all the loose concrete. Crack ended up at 3 inchs wide by 6 feet long and about an inch deep. First used concrete patch to fill it within a 1/4 inch, then used the epoxy and rented a floor sander from Home Depot and it looks like a new floor.

I highly recommend this treatment. Floor looks new and is so easy to clean with a hose and broom after completion.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.