Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Gold member

PVC cement designed for irrigation systems:
Access Denied
Old 02-08-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
I'm deep (literally 2' deep) into my irrigation system overhaul and found a pink zone pipe with a gash in it. I have zero experience with these irrigation specific pipes.

Can I treat it like PVC when it comes to adding (pvc to pink) /gluing (same glue/primer that's used on pvc) sections to it?
Yes, it is glued like PVC piping but, it is not flexable like a usual irrigation black piping.
It is a rigid pipe so cutting out the damaged section and trying to place a new piece in is extremely difficult. I watched Massey do a repair on my damaged line. They had a rigid piece of pipe that telescoped longer when put in place and glued the ends in place to the existing rigid lines. I guess if you dig a big enough hole really big you might be able to move the piping to install a standard pvc pipe and 2 couplings.
good luck
Old 02-08-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Wow, that’s a big project. I’m impressed. That should give you a good feeling of accomplishment when finished. Good luck.
Thanks. Yes it will - I've always felt, since purchase, that there were inefficiencies with this system, obvious lack of maintenance and no modifications post new add on landscaping since build date.

I found several grown over spray heads... among other issues over the last year. The project is warranted and overdue....and its huge. But then....I'm retired!!
Old 02-08-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Yes, it is glued like PVC piping but, it is not flexable like a usual irrigation black piping.
It is a rigid pipe so cutting out the damaged section and trying to place a new piece in is extremely difficult. I watched Massey do a repair on my damaged line. They had a rigid piece of pipe that telescoped longer when put in place and glued the ends in place to the existing rigid lines. I guess if you dig a big enough hole really big you might be able to move the piping to install a standard pvc pipe and 2 couplings.
good luck
Ace advised using the flex pipe for repair....when I thought it was a pvc pipe. I thought about it for a day then decided I didn't want to mix mediums. Did a little research and came up with the 4 90's solution. You cut the bad section out - put a 90 on each cut end, come out of the 90's with a short riser - add 2 90's and a cross piece and there it is. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't come up with that on my own - its an easy solution to repairing "fixed" underground irrigation piping.

The result is not a straight line but it doesn't matter given the amount of water pressure running thru the pipe. I like the 4 90's cause it keeps it in the same medium family.

I need to know that the repair will be long term without any doubts. When I fill in that hole I don't ever want to re-visit it again. Peace of mind goes a long way towards easy sleeping.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
With that hole you probably have sand/soil in the line as well. Be sure to take the spray nozzle off the sprinkler heads then run the system for just a minute to clear them out.
For sure - with that dime size hole I'm surprised that the sprayers on that branch continued to spray all this time.

I'll be leveling/replacing every spray head and that is going to open up a ton of opportunity for sand getting into the system....
Old 02-08-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
The pink pipe is regular schedule 40 PVC. The developer uses that color to specify non-potable water used for irregation. Use the regular white schedule 40 PVC that you can get at Ace or any of the big box stores. I had to repair my system and this is what Ace and my research said. They also sell flexible PVC which is black that you can use off of the main trunk to position a sprinkler head. You will see these short pieces of flexible PVC everywhere in your irregation system.
Thanks for that!
Old 02-08-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Access Denied

Flex PVC pipe.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Access Denied

Flex PVC pipe.
Interesting - will check that out. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2022, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Interesting - will check that out. Thanks!
Here is a good source for sprinkler heads. And, it's nice to have extras. Congrats and Good Luck with your project.

Rain Bird Sprinklers
Old 02-08-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ace advised using the flex pipe for repair....when I thought it was a pvc pipe. I thought about it for a day then decided I didn't want to mix mediums. Did a little research and came up with the 4 90's solution. You cut the bad section out - put a 90 on each cut end, come out of the 90's with a short riser - add 2 90's and a cross piece and there it is. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't come up with that on my own - its an easy solution to repairing "fixed" underground irrigation piping.

The result is not a straight line but it doesn't matter given the amount of water pressure running thru the pipe. I like the 4 90's cause it keeps it in the same medium family.

I need to know that the repair will be long term without any doubts. When I fill in that hole I don't ever want to re-visit it again. Peace of mind goes a long way towards easy sleeping.
Flex PVC is a perfectly good solution, 1/2" or 3/4" whichever is required. The same material you probably have at every elbow that rises up to a sprinkler head. PVC pipe cement glues it just as securely as rigid PVC pipe.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:07 AM

Nice project. I’d highly recommend you switch to a smart irrigation controller if you haven’t. We love the Rachio which updates schedules based on weather and is also available with a leak detector.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Yup - exactly what I’m going to do - thanks for the confirmation VT.

The leaking pipe is original to the build of the house (14 years ago). It’s 2’ under the surface trenched with 2 other pipes.

There are no roots in the vicinity of the leak.

It’s a push in hole - not a rupture hole. A hole about the diameter of a dime. There’s long tunnels of sand erosion emanating from the breach.

My only conclusion is this pipe was breached during installation...14 years ago.

By the time I’m finished with my comprehensive deep dive into 12 zones / 60 or so rotators/fixed spray units / 50 mini sprays....I’ll have an accounting of ever ounce of irrigation water.

A ton of work for sure - but worth it in the end.
You surly love green grass! 👍
Old 02-08-2022, 01:01 PM

Come to Hammock at Fenney .. miles being installed and experienced professional people making the installations ..
Old 02-08-2022, 03:16 PM

I had a soggy planter area that no one could figure out what was wrong until I dug deeper and found the pink pipe also with 2 gash marks in a new home. The builder sent out people to fix it so was lucky. There must be a lot of careless installation with landscape plumbing.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:13 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation

Make sure there are no stones, rocks or other debris touching the pipes.
I had to replace a section that was resting on a rock about the size of a baseball.
It eventually wore a hole in it.
Good luck with your endeavor..
Closed Thread

Tags
pink, pvc, irrigation, pipe, deep

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.