Turning Off Water

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Default Turning Off Water

My daughter has had some water pipe leaks in her house. All of which have been fixed. However she will be away from the house for a period of time and I suggested she turn off the main water into the house just to be sure that no further leaks show up while she is gone. But she has a gas hot water heater and she is questioning if it is safe to leave the hot water heater on after shutting off the water. The concern is if there is a hot water pipe leak the water heater will drain and then possibly cause a fire. She does not know how to shut off the gas heater including the pilot flame and then start up when she returns. Is it OK to leave gas hot water heater on after shut off of the water?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

I look forward to the answer
Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

My superintendent told me during the walk thru, to set the temperature dial to pilot.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A lot of what to do depends on where she lives. In some areas, if you turn off the main water supply, you also turn off the water for irrigation. Most homes have a shut-off valve in the garage or for some CYVs, in the front yard away from the main valves.

I doubt it would damage the water heater since it is pretty common for snowbirds to shut off the valve. Of course, most snowbirds have a home watch person to turn on the water weekly to ensure there are no leaks, etc.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 PM

You gave her good advice and she has a valid concern.

I would definitely turn off the water at the water main in the garage (especially considering a history of leaks.)

I would also turn off the water heater. An electric model is easy, just turn off the circuit breaker, but since it's gas I would at least turn it down to a vacation mode or pilot only mode somehow, but for peace of mind I'd shut it off completely by turning off the gas valve usually located near the bottom of the heater.
Upon returning:
1. Turn the water main valve back on VERY SLOWLY.
2. Re-light the water heater pilot. Very easy but if she's unfamiliar, this would be a good time for her to have someone show her. Having a plumber or gas company employee come out to show her might be a good and minimal expense?

Don't forget to turn off the refrigerator icemaker (if she has one)
There will either be an electric switch inside the freezer near the icemaker unit, or more likely it's the type you just need to raise the arm at the icemaker to turn it off. The icemaker will otherwise try to make a new batch as the ice within evaporates and shrinks, but with the water to the house turned off it won't be able to and will cycle needlessly.

Hopefully she has a separate water supply valve outdoors for the irrigation system. Don't want to shut that off.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

Good advice SteveO. That is what I do when I am away for a month or longer. House water off, Breaker for the electric water heater off, ice maker off, and I additionally disconnect the TV's, golf cart charger and a few other electrical devices to protect them from a possible surge.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Don't forget the water softner.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

Don't forget the microwave and garage door opener.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I don't believe turning off the main water affects irrigation whatsoever. Irrigation water runs off a complete different system, even in the historic area and will run even if the main valve is off.
I suggest she turns her hot water heater to just below LOW and not as far as Pilot. Leave water in the water heater, do not run is down.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Gold member

I think our gas hot water heater has a setting labeled "Vacation" - probably just very low setting. That's what we do, along with all the stuff above. Have not had a problem in 7 years. Also, if you are a snowbird, well worth it to have a humidistadt or new thermostat that has a humidity setting installed. Handy people can do it themselves.

We also think it's well worth it, and not very expensive, to have a home watch person check the house every week. At least you could catch potential problems early (like a malfunctioning a/c) and have more peace of mind.

Much easier, in our minds at least, to leave a house for several months in Florida than all winter up north.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Platinum member

Turning off the water is a good idea, of course, and also the gas or electricity if it is electric. However, I don' believe the tank would empty itself even if a leak did occur. The worst that would happen is the pressure would drop to zero PSI and possibly a gallon or so of water would be leaked out into the house. That's bad enough, but I don't believe the water heater would be damaged.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 PM

OK here is situation. Suppose my daughter turns off water into house but leaves the gas water heater on. Then if she develops a hot water pipe leak in the house on the exit side of the gas water heater and all water drains out of water heater, wouldn't this cause a fire as gas heater tries to heat empty tank. Remember she knows how to turn off in coming water but she does not know how to shut off and later turn on gas water heater. There is no setting such as Vacation or Pilot only on the water heater.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Unless the tank is higher than the burst pipe, the tank will not empty. The pressure in the lines will drop to zero PSI, but the tank will not drain dry.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

RayB, I have no idea what you mean when you say there is no vacation or pilot setting other than on the hot water heater. If she wants to turn down the hot water heater, to a very low setting, then of course the vacation or pilot setting would be on the heater itself. Its at the bottom of the tank and is a turn knob about 2 or 3 inches in diameter.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 AM

The gas water heater is in the attic.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.